• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Vista SP1 a Performance Dud

The Highlander

Vista SP1 a Performance Dud

For those who think the new SP1 for vista will sort out there systems , see below

With the initial performance characteristics of Windows Vista leaving much to be desired , many IT organizations have put off deploying the new OS until the first service pack (SP1) is released by Microsoft early next year. The thinking goes that SP1 will address all of these early performance issues and somehow bring Windows Vista on par with - or at least closer to - Windows XP in terms of runtime performance.

Unfortunately, this is simply not the case. Extensive testing by the exo.performance.network (www.xpnet.com) research staff shows that SP1 provides no measurable relief to users saddled with sub-par performance under Vista.

http://www.activewin.com/outbound.asp?Head...ce%2Ddud%2Ehtml

I thought most of what SP1 does is to fix sleep issues and address a few bugs. However, in the only system I've tried SP1 beta on, I have seen a small decrease in boot times. Other than that, I can tell no difference. Wonder if there is enough time to make changes before the final version is released.

i think that my post above was more directed that alot of users think that the Service pack 1 for vista will speed up there system and make there windows more stable, what i was more directing is that.......

It's NOT going to....

and yes iv found a few things that have had issues with SP1 so far but id like to see the whole list after it's release...

After reading about 90% of the posts in the link that Neil showed, it appeared to me that there were a whole lot of them that did not like the testing because it was run with only 1 gig of memory. And that's why it didn't run faster than (or as some stated, it ran slower) XP.

The one post I totally agreed with was the statement that Toshiba sells a laptop with the Vista OS but with only 512Mb of ram. Now that is pretty stupid if one would every check to see if it ran faster than the old XP with maybe 1 gig of ram.

Maybe one day (no maybe a year from now) Vista will be a pretty good OS. I've only been running it for maybe 3 months now and I already like it better than XP.

Frank...

We have a similer issue here in NZ, lots of resellers are flicking off Vista home basic laptops and PC's with 512 ram in them, and all they do is basicly just run , if you want to install any office or apps , they stall allmost...

I dont understand why they do it , as the person will be back there complaning that there unit is just soooo slow.

Microsotfs own recomendation is the min ram for any flavor of vista is 1 gig , and it will take as much as you can throw at it .......

any how iv been testing the SP1 on my Vista ultamte , with 2 gig ram and iv had no speed or performance increase so far,

im going to love to see how many will opt to get it sent to them on cd instead of downloading it... :lol: its a big sucker...

lots of nothing to fix lots of nothing......

Won't the updates automatically download SP1 in pieces over time? I thought some of the updates for Vista already dealt with parts of SP1. In fact, on 1 system, I downloaded the full SP1 and it told me that some of the updates were already installed.

I've seen perhaps a small increase in speed but no good news with sleep which still sucks supremely in Vista.

<snip>

Microsotfs own recomendation is the min ram for any flavor of vista is 1 gig , and it will take as much as you can throw at it .......

<snip>

Hmmm ... were they into the Microbrews? Just what WERE they on ... :huh:

Neil, I hope you aren't in trouble for revealing too much :blink:

Lynn

Archived