Sign in to follow this  
skypilot13

Directcd Issues

Question

I just got a new Dell Dimension 3100 running Windows XP Home. I transfered data files from my old computer via CD. Now, every time I boot up, I get the following message, "A driver is installed that causes stability problems with your system. This driver will be disabled. Please contact the driver manufacturer for an update that is compatible with this version of Windows." DirectCD is identified as the culprit, with you as the manufacturer. Can you help me with this problem?

9 answers to this question

This is not a tech support site for Roxio.It is a users forum.We can try and help but no guarantees.If you want to contact tech support go to the left hand column of this page and click on customer service.

I remember seeing something about this somewhere.Give me a bit of time to find it or maybe someone will remember before that.

Is it version8 of Roxio you have on your machine and how did it get there?Did it come preinstalled?Did you purchase it?Did you get the cd's or did you download it?

From what it looks like is you are trying to use a version of Roxio that is not Windows XP compatible,if that's what O/S you're running,which since it's a new Dell I'm guessing that it is.The thing to do is uninstall the Roxio software and see if that clears your problem.

When you are done uninstalling run Roxizap,you can get it here:

http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe

Edited by tbrewst

Tried those things to no avail. :) On further research, I found this text pertaining to Adaptec:

"The currently installed driver for the Adaptec AAA or ARO series RAID controller is not compatible with this version of Microsoft Windows and will be disabled during the upgrade.

If you are starting your computer from a disk attached to your Adaptec AAA or ARO series RAID controller, you will not be able to upgrade without a driver that is compatible with this version of Windows.

For more information, visit the manufacturer's Web site.

For a list of devices supported by this version of Microsoft Windows, see the Microsoft Windows XP Compatibility List at http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?p...mpatible."

Does any of this make sense?

If that's not the message you're getting don't worry about it.That has to do with a Raid controller.If this is a new machine I'm pretty sure Dell wouldn't put in a controller that wouldn't work,if you're using Raid at all.

The message you're getting seems to have to do with an older version of Roxio like I said.Do you even have it on your machine?Or when you transferred the files did you have to install something first?

You might try going to the Control Panel,Add/Remove programs and seeing if you have any entries there that say Roxio.If you do Uninstall themand see what happens.From what I found,old drivers for Direct CD caused this problem,Usually from versions of Roxio b4 5.1.If you just got this machine and it has a version that old installed on it I would call Dell and ask why.It could also be that the disc you used was made with an old version of Direct CD and it installed a file or file on your machine for it to be able to read it.So when you're looking for things in the Control Panel also look for entries involving Direct CD.

The add/remove program is the first place I went. It has nothing from Roxio or DirectCD. In fact, I can find nothing out of place to even get rid of. I do think it is possible that the CD with my files on it placed a file on my hard drive to enable it to be read.

The add/remove program is the first place I went. It has nothing from Roxio or DirectCD. In fact, I can find nothing out of place to even get rid of. I do think it is possible that the CD with my files on it placed a file on my hard drive to enable it to be read.

It sounds to me that you used Direct CD to make that CD of your files, which you then used to install on the new computer. If that is the case, then the DirectCD "read" program was put on your computer. I don't know the name of it, but I know someone will drop in here (James?) and let you know what is up.

Are you talking about the UDF reader Bruce?I would think if it installed it he'd be able to find it under add/remove.Maybe it just doesn't show up as Roxio.

SkyPilot,look again this time for a UDF reader.This is what is put in so that computers can read the discs made with Direct CD.

Are you talking about the UDF reader Bruce?I would think if it installed it he'd be able to find it under add/remove.Maybe it just doesn't show up as Roxio.

SkyPilot,look again this time for a UDF reader.This is what is put in so that computers can read the discs made with Direct CD.

He wouldn't be able to find it if he didn't know the name. I couldn't remember what it was. :)

But, I have not loaded a packet writing software since Version 4, and as soon as I found out about how it controls your drive, I removed it and never looked back.

I don't use it either.Its just as easy to use Creator Classic,copy all the files to it and away you go.Especially if your changing machines and just need them for a move.

I remembered about the UDF reader,I just didn't think it would automatically install.When I looked in the help files it says this is caused by an older,incompatible version of Roxio.If he doesn't have it on his machine then about the only thing it could be is the reader that got installed to transfer the files over.

I just got a new Dell Dimension 3100 running Windows XP Home. I transfered data files from my old computer via CD. Now, every time I boot up, I get the following message, "A driver is installed that causes stability problems with your system. This driver will be disabled. Please contact the driver manufacturer for an update that is compatible with this version of Windows." DirectCD is identified as the culprit, with you as the manufacturer. Can you help me with this problem?

skypilot13,

It looks as if you have used a CD formatted by the old "Direct CD" to transfer your files from your old computer. One of the first things these CDs do is offer to install the old UDF reader on your system, and it appears that's what has happened to it.

Roxizap should have removed the old driver if you used it, so I'm a little puzzled if it hasn't.

Anyway, following the error text that you've quoted there should be reference to the name of the drivers causing the concern to XP. What is the rest of the text?

Finding that file or those files and killing them should stop the error from happening. If you can't find them named in the error screen, look for files with UDF*.* in the filename.

UDFREADR.VXD would be a good suspect, as would anything else with UDF in the name, but leave UDFS.SYS as it belongs in XP Home.