• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD Playback problem

friendlyone

Question

Large video files (14 gigs) exported as Quicktime files from Final Cut Pro are burned to a DVD. (One file per disk). Videos are about 1 hr and 15 min. The videos play fine EXCEPT several times during each video, the program pauses for about 15 seconds and then resumes. The video always pauses at exactly the same point. If you copy the video, the second copy also pauses at exactly the same point. It will happen more frequently toward the end of the video and sound gets a little rocky. This happened with iDVD so I bought Toast 8.03. Same thing! Usually happens first between 15 and 20 minutes in. I'm using top of line MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz with 2 gigs memory. Any ideas? ;)

3 answers to this question

It's difficult to know why this is, but the first thing I'd do is try a different brand of high-quality media and set the burn speed at no greater than 8X.

Tried Sony, HP and several others. The fact that the "pause" always happens in he same place suggests something :P other than junk data from bad disks. Thanks for your interest. The problem is not yet solved.....

Tried Sony, HP and several others. The fact that the "pause" always happens in he same place suggests something :P other than junk data from bad disks. Thanks for your interest. The problem is not yet solved.....

I have not experienced this nor recall anyone else posting about such a problem. What happens when you preview the video in Toast before starting the encoding or burning process? (Click the Edit button to get to the window where it can be previewed). How was it exported from FCP? What encoding settings are you using in Toast?

Try choosing Save as Disc Image from the File menu (empty the Converted Items folder first to make sure not to use to previous encoding). Mount the disc image and play it with DVD Player. Does the freeze still happen?

Archived