How to hear LP music while recording

ejhcolorado

Question

Hi all,

I recently installed Creator Suite 9 to use with an Ion iTTUSB10 turntable. It is a turntable without its own amplifier. I've tried the setup several different ways, but am not able to hear the music while recording. My computer is a WinXP Pro, patched and updated.

In the LP and Tape Assistant Window, the Capture From Setting is USB Audio Codec. The Input is set to Microphone. I can record the music from the LP just fine, and play it back, but I cannot hear sound from the computer's speakers while it is recording.

Is there any way I can hear the music through the computer's speakers without hooking the turntable up to an amplifier?

By the way--the turntable does come with software, which is called Audacity. I installed it, and was able to get it to record AND play the music through the computer's speakers while recording. It's a pretty basic software, and was hoping to use the Easy Media software because it has so many more editing options.

Thanks in advance.

ejhcolorado

7 answers to this question

Hi all,

I recently installed Creator Suite 9 to use with an Ion iTTUSB10 turntable. It is a turntable without its own amplifier. I've tried the setup several different ways, but am not able to hear the music while recording. My computer is a WinXP Pro, patched and updated.

In the LP and Tape Assistant Window, the Capture From Setting is USB Audio Codec. The Input is set to Microphone. I can record the music from the LP just fine, and play it back, but I cannot hear sound from the computer's speakers while it is recording.

Is there any way I can hear the music through the computer's speakers without hooking the turntable up to an amplifier?

By the way--the turntable does come with software, which is called Audacity. I installed it, and was able to get it to record AND play the music through the computer's speakers while recording. It's a pretty basic software, and was hoping to use the Easy Media software because it has so many more editing options.

Thanks in advance.

ejhcolorado

So what's wrong with capturing with Audacity (to wav) and editing with Sound Editor?

Also it is the ability of your sound card on if you can hear the audio while capturing. What sound card do you have. Make sure that the record/[play options are not muted in Windows.

Post your sound card information and perhaps we can provide further guidance. BTW, some people have had trouble with that ION deck. Search the forum for more information.

So what's wrong with capturing with Audacity (to wav) and editing with Sound Editor?

Also it is the ability of your sound card on if you can hear the audio while capturing. What sound card do you have. Make sure that the record/[play options are not muted in Windows.

Post your sound card information and perhaps we can provide further guidance. BTW, some people have had trouble with that ION deck. Search the forum for more information.

Hi sknis,

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought about capturing with Audacity, and editing with Sound Editor. I guess I can do that...

My sound card is a SigmaTel High Definition Audio card. I checked the sound options, and as far as I can tell, nothing is muted. There are no check marks in any Mute boxes...

Hope that helps.

Thanks again,

ejhcolorado

As sknis says, it depends on the sound card and set up. As I have a different setup (my turntable output is connected via a preamp to the line in of my Audigy 2 sound card. rather than a USB turntable), I'm not sure what options you would have, but do you have any other options for input, there may be one that alows you to hear what is being recorded. For my Audigy 2, I use 'what you hear', it might be called something else.

I use Easy Audio capture and edit in Sound Editor. rather than the LP and tape assistant.

Hi sknis,

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought about capturing with Audacity, and editing with Sound Editor. I guess I can do that...

My sound card is a SigmaTel High Definition Audio card. I checked the sound options, and as far as I can tell, nothing is muted. There are no check marks in any Mute boxes...

Hope that helps.

Thanks again,

ejhcolorado

Are you running Vista. On the Dells PC they have some issues with the monitoring Hear what you record working. With XP it worked fine. I ended up adding a sound card. If you have a Dell you might want to check out the dell support site.

Are you running Vista. On the Dells PC they have some issues with the monitoring Hear what you record working. With XP it worked fine. I ended up adding a sound card. If you have a Dell you might want to check out the dell support site.

Hi TomXPS,

No--I thought I mentioned that I had XP Pro.

What type of sound card did you add to your Dell?

ejhcolorado

My sound card is a SigmaTel High Definition Audio card.

ejhcolorado

People with that sound card do not have luck with this program. That card runs only at 32 bits where this program likes 16 bit. Search this form for SigmaTel to see if anyine got it running correctly. You can also Google for information Other card run at both 32 and 16 as required.

Hi TomXPS,

No--I thought I mentioned that I had XP Pro.

What type of sound card did you add to your Dell?

ejhcolorado

Just using a Sound Blaster Audigy SE. Which is the least expensive. The Sound Blaster X-FI cards work fine also but more money. The Extreme Audio X-FI card is available for about $70.00 and the Audigy SE can be bought for about $30.00. Shopping around might find it a bit cheaper.

The Audigy cards have been on the market for about 3+ years the X-FI cards are more rececent. Since your running XP you might want to do so searching to see how to enable Monitoring. With the XP drivers it did work. but other issues I read about made me decide the card was the best solution. I would of bought the computer with the sound card but Dell did not offer any when Vista was first released since no drivers were available for X-FI at the time.

Archived