Sign in to follow this  
Ty Catt

SOME RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS...

Question

Alright Gurus,

How do you...

IN VIDEOWAVE:

Preset all pictures in a slideshow to be a set length- i.e. 4 seconds every time and not 5 seconds?

Ditto with transition length?

Whenever I trim off a song intro with the audio edit panel, the trim never stays intact?...

IN MyDVD:

Does anyone else's slideshow have a weird flicker at the top 1/8 of every picture? Almost looks like there is some kind if aliasing or field shifting?

How come when you import a VideoWave slideshow into MyDVD and your video name appears on the menu, you don't get the nifty text menu options you do with just text menu creation?

How come you have no control over the navigation buttons MyDVD automatically inserts for you when you set a submenu? In particular the "length and goto" option.

Which leads me to another question- Let's say for example you want to set up a chaptered DVD with all four seasons- Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. You create Spring first, then set Summer as a submenu? Is that the right way? I am used to other programs (like Ulead DVD Studio) where you can keep the menu as a rotatable menu, in other words you could easily navigate backwards to Winter too. Am I missing something here?

Sorry for all the queries, I am new to EMC10 and am eager to keep creating!

Thanks everyone,

Ty

10 answers to this question

For convenience, I added responses bold and italics in the text of your original post. You'll need to clarify some of your questions for a better response. Please also add your computer specs including your video card/chip and OS to your signature. Go to the My Controls link at the top of this page; when the window opens, look to the left and select edit signature. This will add your specs to every past and future post.

IN VIDEOWAVE:

Preset all pictures in a slideshow to be a set length- i.e. 4 seconds every time and not 5 seconds?

To preset go to the top menu and select production settings. If you want to change them later, right click on one and select "trim". you can change that one or all of them.

Ditto with transition length?

After you have added your transition, right click on it in storyline view and select the option to change the transition duration. You can apply to all. Caution, some people have experienced the issue that not only all the durations have changed but also all the transitions have changed to that one. Play with it before you make a mistake in a long slide show.

Whenever I trim off a song intro with the audio edit panel, the trim never stays intact?...

Don't know; what procedure are you using? If you know how much you want to trim at the beginning, use Sound Editor to make a very precise trim.

IN MyDVD:

Does anyone else's slide show have a weird flicker at the top 1/8 of every picture? Almost looks like there is some kind if aliasing or field shifting?

I have never seen this. Turn on the TV safe zone mask and see if the flicker is outside the mask. This may be due to your hardware. I can't comment since you didn't post any information about that , your video card/chip or monitor resolution, or aspect.

How come when you import a VideoWave slide show into MyDVD and your video name appears on the menu, you don't get the nifty text menu options you do with just text menu creation?

Yes you do, just look for it.

How come you have no control over the navigation buttons MyDVD automatically inserts for you when you set a submenu? In particular the "length and goto" option.

I don't understand this question. I have almost full navigation adjustment on the movies I place on the menu. You can set the navigation to go to a different movie after playing one of you can set it to go back to the main menu (default).

On a submenu (chapters) the default is the same as commercial DVD. You start at a chapter and continue to the end of that movie. After that end, you can set the navigation to go to the next movie or back to the main menu.

Which leads me to another question- Let's say for example you want to set up a chaptered DVD with all four seasons- Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. You create Spring first, then set Summer as a submenu? Is that the right way? I am used to other programs (like Ulead DVD Studio) where you can keep the menu as a rotatable menu, in other words you could easily navigate backwards to Winter too. Am I missing something here?

No, select a menu with "seasons" as your main menu and then the four seasons as submenus. See the tips and tricks area of EMC 9 for a post on how to make a customizable menu.

Thanks everyone,

Ty

In My DVD, learn what controls are available if you 1) R Click on the menu background and 2) R click on a movie icon or text. You will get different options for settings. If you have a large enough monitor, I recommend that you go to go to view, then settings and then back to view and select dock settings. You get that settings window in the right section of the Window ans will be able to see the setting and changes easier; don't forget to look at the tabs.

BTW, most experienced users here could ahve answered those questions; no guru ( as used on this board required.)

Edited by sknis

Steve,

Thanks for the reply!

I've replied with the long string of dashes...(sorry if it's muddy)

Please also add your computer specs including your video card/chip and OS to your signature.

-----------First off, doesn't my signature meet your criteria? I have my card and OS in there!

IN VIDEOWAVE:

-------------Re: the default preset problem: Thanks for the Preset help, I found it. I also found that weird transition error that applies the trans length to still length, and thought it was the wrong way to do it.

Don't know; what procedure are you using? If you know how much you want to trim at the beginning, use Sound Editor to make a very precise trim.

----------I am using the Sound Editor! I am double clicking on an audio track to get to it. I trim, click OK, and it doesn't take!

IN MyDVD:

Does anyone else's slide show have a weird flicker at the top 1/8 of every picture? Almost looks like there is some kind if aliasing or field shifting?

I have never seen this. Turn on the TV safe zone mask and see if the flicker is outside the mask. This may be due to your hardware. I can't comment since you didn't post any information about that , your video card/chip or monitor resolution, or aspect.

-----------I'll check the safe zone, not sure but I think it was "in" the zone, but if that were an issue, what about the bottom of an image falling "in" as well? Hardware? As I mentioned (in my sig) I have a (Nvidia) GeForce 8300 GS. 1680 x 1050 res. on my monitor (does my monitor resolution really affect anything?), and I am creating a 4:3 NTSC slideshow. I am using digital photos set at 4 x 6 which I am sure we all know fits NTSC aspect ratio almost to a tee.

How come when you import a VideoWave slide show into MyDVD and your video name appears on the menu, you don't get the nifty text menu options you do with just text menu creation?

----------I have looked for it. When I highlight it, the "nifty" menu doesn't come up on my settings (which BTW I already have (discovered) docked). It only comes up when I highlight menu text. Not being lazy, just don't see it.

I don't understand this question. I have almost full navigation adjustment on the movies I place on the menu. You can set the navigation to go to a different movie after playing one of you can set it to go back to the main menu (default).

------------Let me clarify. When you make a submenu, EMC automatically places a home and arrow icon. Those are the icons I am referring to. When you highlight them, they are both GHOSTED in the link panel.

On a submenu (chapters) the default is the same as commercial DVD. You start at a chapter and continue to the end of that movie. After that end, you can set the navigation to go to the next movie or back to the main menu.

No, select a menu with "seasons" as your main menu and then the four seasons as submenus. See the tips and tricks area of EMC 9 for a post on how to make a customizable menu.

-----------You missed my point- I don't want a Seasons Main page, just start on Spring Menu with an option to go(backwards) to the Winter Menu.

Thanks everyone,

Ty

BTW, most experienced users here could ahve answered those questions; no guru ( as used on this board required.)

---------???????? Just being polite. Didn't realize I couldn't throw the word "guru" around and not be held to it.

Thanks again,

Tyler

Steve,

Thanks for the reply!

I've replied with the long string of dashes...(sorry if it's muddy)

Please also add your computer specs including your video card/chip and OS to your signature.

-----------First off, doesn't my signature meet your criteria? I have my card and OS in there!

IN VIDEOWAVE:

-------------Re: the default preset problem: Thanks for the Preset help, I found it. I also found that weird transition error that applies the trans length to still length, and thought it was the wrong way to do it.

----------I am using the Sound Editor! I am double clicking on an audio track to get to it. I trim, click OK, and it doesn't take!

IN MyDVD:

-----------I'll check the safe zone, not sure but I think it was "in" the zone, but if that were an issue, what about the bottom of an image falling "in" as well? Hardware? As I mentioned (in my sig) I have a (Nvidia) GeForce 8300 GS. 1680 x 1050 res. on my monitor (does my monitor resolution really affect anything?), and I am creating a 4:3 NTSC slideshow. I am using digital photos set at 4 x 6 which I am sure we all know fits NTSC aspect ratio almost to a tee.

----------I have looked for it. When I highlight it, the "nifty" menu doesn't come up on my settings (which BTW I already have (discovered) docked). It only comes up when I highlight menu text. Not being lazy, just don't see it.

------------Let me clarify. When you make a submenu, EMC automatically places a home and arrow icon. Those are the icons I am referring to. When you highlight them, they are both GHOSTED in the link panel.

-----------You missed my point- I don't want a Seasons Main page, just start on Spring Menu with an option to go(backwards) to the Winter Menu.

Thanks everyone,

Ty

---------???????? Just being polite. Didn't realize I couldn't throw the word "guru" around and not be held to it.

Thanks again,

Tyler

1) Sorry, I missed it.

2) Not that sound editor in VideoWave; I mean the Application that is titled Sound Editor.

3) You should make sure you know about the TV safe zone. This is a quirk of TV sets and not of the program. In VideoWave, there is an icon ner the top that looks like a squared off target. Click that. If the imeage is in the safe zone, it will be inside the dotted area. If is not, it will be cut off. Some people see a dotted moving line at the bottom of the screen - a function of the video capture- - but that is outside the safe zone. If parts of your image fall outside the sfe zone, look at the post in the Tips and Tricks area of EMC 9.

If you are seeing a white line in that safe zone, then I have no idea why.

4) I think I know what you mean. If you click the word "menu" or what you changed that to, you can change the text to all kinds of things. If you clcik on one of the movie titles, you don't get that same menu. You'll have to edit the text with the text editor above the preview. I even tried to select all and make the change but that didn't work.

5) I still don't understand this: "You missed my point- I don't want a Seasons Main page, just start on Spring Menu with an option to go(backwards) to the Winter Menu"

If your main menu is Spring, how would you go back to Winter since you don't have a Winter top menu.

Comment: The main menu is designed to link you to the movies/projects on your DVD; the submenus are typically used to navigate to the chapters in one of the movies/projects on the main page.

6) Have you tried previewing the menu and submenu. Those navigation arrows and text become active.

Did I miss anything? Please don't ask why they did it that way, I'm not even sure the the Roxio designers know why -- perhaps evolutionary change rather than revolutionary. I learn more about the program almost every day so other may post to give you other information.

Steve,

Thanks for all of your help.

You have provided me much assistance.

Thanks again!

Tyler

Texans- Browns today (if you like football). I grew up a Steeler fan and once a...

I'm now to the point where I don't root for a Texans win, I just root for them to look reasonable.

IN MyDVD:

Does anyone else's slideshow have a weird flicker at the top 1/8 of every picture? Almost looks like there is some kind if aliasing or field shifting?

I don't create many slideshows, but I have noticed a few times something like that on a few movies that I exported using Videowave. Seems like data being secretly encoded in the top every second. {and I'm not talking about Closed Captioning} The pixels seem to vibrate or shift back and forth only in the top 1/4 of the frame. Don't think there is anything we can do. Probably an issue with the codec or possibly with 'hardware' encoding.

This is noticable on a regular CRT type TV, but is VERY noticable on my LCD HDTV.

Edited by ggrussell

Gary,

Thank God!

I thought I was seeing things!

You mentioned that it may have to do with hardware encoding. Is there a software encoder in EMC10?

What's the deal with that tab I have seen with hardware vs. software enabling?

Can't remember where I saw it, but does that have anything to do with it?

Thanks!

Tyler

Gary,

Thank God!

I thought I was seeing things!

You mentioned that it may have to do with hardware encoding. Is there a software encoder in EMC10?

What's the deal with that tab I have seen with hardware vs. software enabling?

Can't remember where I saw it, but does that have anything to do with it?

Thanks!

Tyler

It's under Tools/Options.

It's under Tools/Options.

Are there any pros or cons to using either of them?

Success stories? Do's or don'ts?

Thanks!

Tyler

Are there any pros or cons to using either of them?

Success stories? Do's or don'ts?

Thanks!

Tyler

I have a higher end NVidia card. My productions look like crud, if I use Hardware render. That is due to the fact that the Roxio software and NVidia cards don't work well together, so I use Software render, and my finished product is great.

3D transitions aren't available when using Software render, but I don't use them anyway.