• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Disc Titles

Richard6250

Question

Toast won't use the audio file name when it burns the disc. The result is a disc with the wrong name. In fact, the audio file found on the disc itself is wrong. And when I double click on the disc to play it - I get another title that pops up in Itunes.

I've done everything I can think of to change the name of the disc just prior to recording. Nothing works. I'm thinking I need to reinstall the software and perhaps I checked the wrong box, or something, when I installed it last time?

Thanks for the help.

Richard

4 answers to this question

Computers don't read the CD Text info that Toast writes to audio CDs. You Mac gets track info either from reading its cdinfo datablase file or downloaded from the online CDDB. You can edit the info in the cdinfo database file by editing it in iTunes or you can go to dougscripts.com and download the CD Text to cdinfo applescript file. It automates transferring the CD Text info to your Mac's cdinfo database file via iTunes.

You can see that the CD Text info was burned properly by inserting the audio CD and choosing Disc Info from the Recorder menu in Toast.

Digital Guru: I'm sorry, but I'm not really clear as to what you're saying. Let's say I export an audio file from Final Cut Pro to my desktop. The file name is "Sissors". I then insert a CD into my computer disc drive and Toast launches. I drag the "Sissors" file into Toast and burn an audio CD with the "Sissors" file. After the burn is complete, I select "mount" and there on my desktop is a CD icon named "Disclaimer". In other words, Toast refuses to accept "Sissors" as the file name.

Maybe I should forget about using Toast to burn audio CDs and stick with Itunes????

Digital Guru: I'm sorry, but I'm not really clear as to what you're saying. Let's say I export an audio file from Final Cut Pro to my desktop. The file name is "Sissors". I then insert a CD into my computer disc drive and Toast launches. I drag the "Sissors" file into Toast and burn an audio CD with the "Sissors" file. After the burn is complete, I select "mount" and there on my desktop is a CD icon named "Disclaimer". In other words, Toast refuses to accept "Sissors" as the file name.

Maybe I should forget about using Toast to burn audio CDs and stick with Itunes????

Toast did burn the name "Scissors" to the disc as CD Text. You can see it by inserting the CD and choosing Disc Info from the Toast Recorder menu. What doesn't happen is that Toast does not write anything to the cdinfo database file that your Mac looks to for audio CD title and track names. When there isn't a match in that database file for a CD with the same number of tracks and track lengths as the inserted CD, the Mac OS calls on the online CDDB to see if a match is present there. If one is present it downloads that info and updates the cdinfo database file which then appears in the Finder and in iTunes. That is certainly where "Disclaimer" came from. The way to change the text is to enter the correct info in iTunes. After that your Mac should know the correct name because it is written in the cdinfo database file.

When using iTunes to burn an audio CD, iTunes does automatically update the cdinfo database file. I can't imagine Toast's engineers failing to add this automatic capability after all these years and different versions of Toast. So there must be something in the license that prevents third-party applications from being allowed to modify that file.

There is an applescript at dougscripts.com that automates the transfer of CD Text info to the cdinfo database file via iTunes. I believe it is called CD Text to CDinfo.

Computers don't read the CD Text info that Toast writes to audio CDs. You Mac gets track info either from reading its cdinfo datablase file or downloaded from the online CDDB. You can edit the info in the cdinfo database file by editing it in iTunes or you can go to dougscripts.com and download the CD Text to cdinfo applescript file. It automates transferring the CD Text info to your Mac's cdinfo database file via iTunes.

You can see that the CD Text info was burned properly by inserting the audio CD and choosing Disc Info from the Recorder menu in Toast.

Archived