• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

thill7316

Easy Media Creator 9 stop working

Question

when I try to open my EMC9DS full version it will not open -the splash page appears on my desk top and just sits there. It use to work and not it won't load!!! I have Vista home and my pc is only a few months old.

can someone help?

thanks Tina

23 answers to this question

when I try to open my EMC9DS full version it will not open -the splash page appears on my desk top and just sits there. It use to work and not it won't load!!! I have Vista home and my pc is only a few months old.

can someone help?

thanks Tina

Is it the Home screen you can't get to work? What happens if you use the Start/Programs button and open the individual applicatiions? Does that work?

Id' try a repair install and that should fix it.

Is it the Home screen you can't get to work? What happens if you use the Start/Programs button and open the individual applicatiions? Does that work?

Id' try a repair install and that should fix it.

What is EMC9DS. Does the DS signafy that this is the download version? I thought the designation was ESD.

Did you do the update to 9.1 for Vista?

Edited by sknis

What is EMC9DS. Does the DS signafy that this is the download version? I thought the designation was ESD.

Did you do the update to 9.1 for Vista?

I believe the poster means 'Deluxe Suite'. But if it was working before, obviously something was installed or done to have an effect on the program.

I have the very same problem. Roxio EMC 9 was working fine last night (12/4/2007). Today, it won't even open. At all. I've tried it from the task bar, I've tried it from the icon on my desktop, I've tried it from start/all programs. Nothing. I'm operating Vista Home Premium. On the task bar is an icon for the Roxio Media Experience. That briefly opens the splash page, then shuts down. So, I can't even open it to see whether I have the 9.1 upgrade. :(

A previous email talked about a repair install. How is that accomplished? I have the dvd's I burned from a web download.

Thank you in advance.

Wesley Struebing

I have the very same problem. Roxio EMC 9 was working fine last night (12/4/2007). Today, it won't even open. At all. I've tried it from the task bar, I've tried it from the icon on my desktop, I've tried it from start/all programs. Nothing. I'm operating Vista Home Premium. On the task bar is an icon for the Roxio Media Experience. That briefly opens the splash page, then shuts down. So, I can't even open it to see whether I have the 9.1 upgrade. :(

A previous email talked about a repair install. How is that accomplished? I have the dvd's I burned from a web download.

Thank you in advance.

Wesley Struebing

To do a repair install in Vista, you need to go into the Control Panel and then choose Control Panel Home then the Uninstall link. On the next section, find EMC9 and highlight it then choose Repair. You may need your disc as well.

post-79-1196904083.jpg

post-79-1196904092.jpg

Paul;

Thank you (I knew that!<G>)

However, repair is looking for an msi file, which doesn't exist, and the installation CD (it is EMC 9.1, incidentally) contains but one file - that just spins the cd/dvd drive and never opens.

Now, as far as I know Drag-to-Disc works just fine (at least it comes up at boot time), but no other Roxio application opens.

So, I'm still hosed.

I tried "installing" from the CD on another Vista computer, and the same thing happens there - the .exe, called 1Z22TZX0R03_ECMSuit9.1efigsd.exe does nothing but spin the drive. It never opens.

I'd go ahead, uninstall (assuimg I can) and re-install, but I don't have an executable or an msi to do the install.

Sorry, Paul...

Wes Struebing

Paul;

Thank you (I knew that!<G>)

However, repair is looking for an msi file, which doesn't exist, and the installation CD (it is EMC 9.1, incidentally) contains but one file - that just spins the cd/dvd drive and never opens.

Now, as far as I know Drag-to-Disc works just fine (at least it comes up at boot time), but no other Roxio application opens.

So, I'm still hosed.

I tried "installing" from the CD on another Vista computer, and the same thing happens there - the .exe, called 1Z22TZX0R03_ECMSuit9.1efigsd.exe does nothing but spin the drive. It never opens.

I'd go ahead, uninstall (assuimg I can) and re-install, but I don't have an executable or an msi to do the install.

Sorry, Paul...

Wes Struebing

Wes, sorry for stating the obvious......I can say that if you're running Drag to Disk in Vista, you're one of a very small number doing so. Drag to Disc is not compatible with Vista and in fact, if you update to 9.1, it should nuke it from your system. I'd suggest you at least uninstall D2D.

OK...Will do. Don't know whether it will make any difference with any of the other Roxio apps. (oh, as an aside, the Roxio Express Labeler works just dandy, still)

Thanks, Paul.

Wes Struebing

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America,

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,

promising liberty and justice for all.

still no luck...I tried to unistall the D2D and that sat there for the longest time until I canceled. Now I am in the process of downloading 9.1 update and will see how this goes. :unsure:

Gee, "Thill", that was one thing I had no problems with. But then on the dvd's I burned from Roxio, I saw that I had 9.1.

Since the dvd doesn't work either (for a repair/reinstall), I wonder whether there is something that is blocking them from opening...

Did you, by any chance, download any recent updates from Microsoft, like Windows Defender updates, or other security updates from them?

Grasping at straws here, since it seems no one has a good answer for us...

:)

Gee, "Thill", that was one thing I had no problems with. But then on the dvd's I burned from Roxio, I saw that I had 9.1.

Since the dvd doesn't work either (for a repair/reinstall), I wonder whether there is something that is blocking them from opening...

Did you, by any chance, download any recent updates from Microsoft, like Windows Defender updates, or other security updates from them?

To follow up on my own post, since I couldn't do a repair I tried an uninstall, but I was unable to completely uninstall Roxio (and then Vista kept telling me I didn't have the authority to remove some files - AND I AM ADMINSTRATOR!), so add/remove programs didn't work. But clearing out some of the files at least enabled me to do an install that supposedly worked. Of course once I did that, I was right back where I started - namely with Roxio not opening the splash screen and none of the individual apps will open except for express labeler...

Is there anything out there that does what Roxio EMC clamis to do? I'm geting SO frustrated...

The folder removal is a bit complicated and it's down to Vista's paranoia about deleting 'important' files (and if someone would care to tell me just why MS installed games are so 'important' that they can't be removed, I'd like to hear it)

Anyway - check out this KB article on clean install

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

The folder removal is a bit complicated and it's down to Vista's paranoia about deleting 'important' files (and if someone would care to tell me just why MS installed games are so 'important' that they can't be removed, I'd like to hear it)

Anyway - check out this KB article on clean install

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

Daithi;

I found that link shortly after posting my follow-up. It definitely was worry-making (since Vista seems to be so touchy anyway). But, I bit the bulletm, figuring that if it didn't work, I'd be no worse off. Some of the msconfig responses weren't *quite* as listed, but they were still recognizable.

And it worked. And I KNOW for certain, now I'm running 9.1 as well.

In any case, thank you for posting that link!

"Thill", try it. It most likely will help you, too.

Wes Struebing

"Panic, chaos, disorder! My work here is done!"

download any recent updates from Microsoft, like Windows Defender updates....YES!!!

And now my splash page won't even open!

thill

download any recent updates from Microsoft, like Windows Defender updates....YES!!!

And now my splash page won't even open!

thill

I unistalled the whole danm program....looking for a refund!

I unistalled the whole darn program....looking for a refund!

I unistalled the whole danm program....looking for a refund!

You uninstalled Defender? Good move, since it may have caused all of your problems with Roxio. ;)

You uninstalled Defender? Good move, since it may have caused all of your problems with Roxio. ;)

No I Unistalled Roxio!!!

I did reinstall and it worked for 6 days now it won't open again!

How do I unistall windows defender? I can't find it.

No I Unistalled Roxio!!!

OK I maybe wrong just a suggestion but for those 6 days were you connected to the internet? Now are you? I had this problem in Vista home premiun with emc9 the clean install and the update to 9.1 plus uninstalling napster burn engine cleared all the errors and crashes. plus roxio not opening without an internet connection. mine WAS A BOXED RETAIL VERSION.

No I Unistalled Roxio!!!

Your Not going to believe this one.... I clicked on the icon today and it opened!!!! Now I'm not going crazy or anything...but what the F? :blink:

Well I'll let it slide for a few days and see what happens....

thanks for everyones suggestions! I'm sure I'll be back!

tina

Same problem here. Using Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 on Win XP SP 2 on a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop. It used to work fine but about 3 months ago, it just decided to quit opening for me.

EMC9 works just fine on my Dell Dimension desktop with Win XP SP 2, however. Has anyone found a reasonable fix for this yet?

The comments over at this PCMag.com review have me concerned that EMC is just a POS. Bummer - I kinda liked it when it worked.

Thanks.

Same problem here. Using Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 on Win XP SP 2 on a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop. It used to work fine but about 3 months ago, it just decided to quit opening for me.

EMC9 works just fine on my Dell Dimension desktop with Win XP SP 2, however. Has anyone found a reasonable fix for this yet?

The comments over at this PCMag.com review have me concerned that EMC is just a POS. Bummer - I kinda liked it when it worked.

Thanks.

You need to list your computer specs. The software may not be the POS. ;)

Hi Bruce. Thanks for the quick reply. Here's the deal...

Roxio works fine on:

Dell Dimension 3000

1.25 GB RAM

P4 2.8 GHz

NVidia GeForce FX 5200 with dual 19" LCD

But fails to start on:

Dell Inspiron 9400

2 GB RAM

Dual Core Intel T2250 @ 1.7GHz

Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family display adapter

Now, keep in mind that EMC used to work on the Dell laptop. It only failed in the past couple of months which MAY coincide with an IE7 "upgrade" but maybe not. Also, I'm using IE7 on my desktop so I can't see where that would be the culprit.

Anyhow, as a web app developer, I can't uninstall IE7. I'm currently going through the Clean install process. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Edited by chiefupstart

Just as an aside here, a friend of mine who is also a professional web designer wouldn't touch IE7 with a 40 foot barge pole - in fact, he threatens to charge extra to make any web page 'IE7 compliant' (all his stuff is W3C compliant)

Makes you wonder who sets standards doesn't it - MS or the WWW Consortium headed up by Tim Bernars Lee :lol: