• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

No Uninstall Instructions - Terrible !

netmation

Question

Just bought Roxio 10, but during the installation there are no instructions pertaining to uninstalling previous Roxio versions (such as my Roxio 8). Should it be uninstalled, is it optional, does it need to be done in Windows Uninstall prior to installing, will the Roxio install program upgrade my prior version? Nothing in the user manual either. What is Roxio thinking ????

16 answers to this question

Please answer the question. I've the same problem uninstalling EMC 10. There is nothing in this forum that specifically addresses this matter. The EMC Removal Tool doesn't remove the program files. DMX launcher cannot be removed from the system, files in the Recycle Bin can't be permanently deleted. Can you provide a solution? I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite A105.

See Post #2 above. I have 3 versions of Roxio software on my computer, and they get along fine.

Thanks to all who have helped me understand why I should not use Drag to Disk. So, I am ready to use Creator Classic instead. However, when I tried to create a rebootable data disk from Acronis 11, I got the following error message: E0040010 Device Busy (0x40010) Tag=0x8bf8138EBD33EB3.

Is that because Drag to Disk is installed? When right click on my CD disk drive in My Computer, Drag to Disk is listed. I tried to uninstall it, but it does not appear in either the Control Panel or when I use Windows uninstaller. Should I just change the name of the executable file? Any suggestions about what to do? The disk in the drive shows that 48 megabytes are used when I check properties in My Computer, but when I do the same in Drag to Disk, the disk appears to be empty. So, I don't even know how to tell what is on the disk now. I am really confused.

The reason that I liked Drag to Disk is that it was so user friendly. I can't say that about Creator Classic. There are references to floppy disks-- who uses those any more? I can't just go into Explorer, check out the files I want to burn and then burn them. I have to first go to Explorer, find out what I want to burn, and then go into the Creator Classic Explorer drop down menu. It just isn't very straight forward. I liked being able to click on view disk contents, view disk properties, etc.. I wish Roxio would create a more user friendly interface for Creator Classic. :ninja:

Welcome to the real world!

If you use D2D and load the disc the next day, week, or year and the data is inaccessible tell me again how easy it was to lose it???

Do you want rock solid backup or do you want easy?

If you want to take the extra step to use Explorer to locate your files, that is your option. Personally I use the Source panes in Classic to locate my files… And you can (another bad practice) drag the files from Explorer and drop them in the Project pane of Classic.

If D2D is interfering there should be an Icon for D2D in your Systray. Before starting Classic, right click the icon and select "Exit Drag to Disc". That will shut it down.

To remove it from your PC, Add/Remove Programs, select Roxio V6 and choose Modify. Then turn off D2D from the screen that follows.

So, here I am in the real world. I am trying to burn data disks using creator classic and/or the the Data Disk option-- I don't really understand the difference between the two. So, I managed to burn about 4 megabytes onto one CD-R disk. I wanted to burn some other folders to that disk but when I reinserted that disk, I a message, the essence of which was, that I cannot use that disk since it has something on it-- I should either insert a clean CD-R disk or use a CD-RW disk. So, I used a clean CD-RW disk and burned another small folder to that disk. I wanted to add more data to that disk. When I tried, I was told that I can't add data to this disk (although it has almost nothing on it, and I should insert a clean disk. What the heck??? I looked at the Easy CD 10 creator classic instructions, but they are not helping-- in fact, they just confuse me more. I have never had a problem burning data disks before. What is going on?? I would appreciate any help from the real world because I feel like I am in the twilight zone. :angry:

I too could not believe that there were no instructions as to whether I should uninstall previously installed Roxio software. I have a Dell computer and decided that I should uninstall most of what came preloaded. Now that I am on this forum, I am wondering if I made a mistake.

My previous version of Easy Media Creator is a very old one-- version 6. Secunia recommended that I completely uninstall that version because out of date software can present a security risk. So, I looked in control panel, and it wasn't listed there. I then looked in Windows Uninstaller, and it wasn't listed there either. I can uninstall it using System Mechanic, using a manual uninstall, but I am afraid that if I delete certain files (e.g, registry keys), that I will really do a number on my computer. So, my question is, if I want to uninstall it, should I reinstall version 6 and then uninstall it from the control panel, or should I use System Mechanic? (I successfully installed version 10 already)? I suspect it would be best to reinstall it and then use the control panel. According to the information in the forum, reinstalling version 6 alongside version 10 should be OK. What do you suggest?

I am really bummed that Drag to Disk is no longer part of the Suite. Can I continue to use the one from version 6 while using version 10?

I too could not believe that there were no instructions as to whether I should uninstall previously installed Roxio software. I have a Dell computer and decided that I should uninstall most of what came preloaded. Now that I am on this forum, I am wondering if I made a mistake.

My previous version of Easy Media Creator is a very old one-- version 6. Secunia recommended that I completely uninstall that version because out of date software can present a security risk. So, I looked in control panel, and it wasn't listed there. I then looked in Windows Uninstaller, and it wasn't listed there either. I can uninstall it using System Mechanic, using a manual uninstall, but I am afraid that if I delete certain files (e.g, registry keys), that I will really do a number on my computer. So, my question is, if I want to uninstall it, should I reinstall version 6 and then uninstall it from the control panel, or should I use System Mechanic? (I successfully installed version 10 already)? I suspect it would be best to reinstall it and then use the control panel. According to the information in the forum, reinstalling version 6 alongside version 10 should be OK. What do you suggest?

I am really bummed that Drag to Disk is no longer part of the Suite. Can I continue to use the one from version 6 while using version 10?

If you are not having any problems with version 6 and version 10 right now, don't uninstall anything. And if your really value the data that you are backing up, don't use the lazy mode of Drag to Disc. You will eventually get burned by not being able to read those discs at some future date.

Use Creator Classic instead.

So, here I am in the real world. I am trying to burn data disks using creator classic and/or the the Data Disk option-- I don't really understand the difference between the two. So, I managed to burn about 4 megabytes onto one CD-R disk. I wanted to burn some other folders to that disk but when I reinserted that disk, I a message, the essence of which was, that I cannot use that disk since it has something on it-- I should either insert a clean CD-R disk or use a CD-RW disk. So, I used a clean CD-RW disk and burned another small folder to that disk. I wanted to add more data to that disk. When I tried, I was told that I can't add data to this disk (although it has almost nothing on it, and I should insert a clean disk. What the heck??? I looked at the Easy CD 10 creator classic instructions, but they are not helping-- in fact, they just confuse me more. I have never had a problem burning data disks before. What is going on?? I would appreciate any help from the real world because I feel like I am in the twilight zone. :angry:

When you click the Burn button, in Creator Classic, uncheck the Read Only box. You will then be able to add more data, after your current burn.

If you are not having any problems with version 6 and version 10 right now, don't uninstall anything. And if your really value the data that you are backing up, don't use the lazy mode of Drag to Disc. You will eventually get burned by not being able to read those discs at some future date.

Use Creator Classic instead.

Here is just what GPB is talking about…

Dear Grandpa Bruce,

Thanks for recommending the repair. It looks like that did the trick. I am back to reality, and it isn't bad at all. The only thing I can't seem to do is to save files to a new folder that I create in the project area. Also, can I save a whole folder and its contents, or do I have to select each individual file? I assume there must be a way to do that.

What beautiful grandchildren you have. Much thanks again.

Lizzz :rolleyes:

Thanks for responding to my dilemma.

Read only was never checked. When I clicked on burn, the okay button is greyed out. My only options are to cancel or get help. I am beginning to suspect that I have a faulty installation. I think that the best thing to do might be to uninstall and reinstall it. What do you think?

Thank you.

Just bought Roxio 10, but during the installation there are no instructions pertaining to uninstalling previous Roxio versions (such as my Roxio 8). Should it be uninstalled, is it optional, does it need to be done in Windows Uninstall prior to installing, will the Roxio install program upgrade my prior version? Nothing in the user manual either. What is Roxio thinking ????

EMC10 can be installed along side of earlier versions. Many have more than 1 version installed. I have 9 & 10 installed on both XP and Vista with no problems.

You're not exactly new to the forums. There are a multitude of posts on not having to uninstall one version before installing another version.

Thanks for responding to my dilemma.

Read only was never checked. When I clicked on burn, the okay button is greyed out. My only options are to cancel or get help. I am beginning to suspect that I have a faulty installation. I think that the best thing to do might be to uninstall and reinstall it. What do you think?

Thank you.

You can try a repair of the main EMC 10 program, through Add/Remove Programs, first.

You're not exactly new to the forums. There are a multitude of posts on not having to uninstall one version before installing another version.

Please answer the question. I've the same problem uninstalling EMC 10. There is nothing in this forum that specifically addresses this matter. The EMC Removal Tool doesn't remove the program files. DMX launcher cannot be removed from the system, files in the Recycle Bin can't be permanently deleted. Can you provide a solution? I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite A105.

Found this in the search http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...mp;hl=uninstall

Archived