• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Steve Reed

iTune Show info for Tivo recordings

Question

Tivo transfer saves the show name, espisode name and some encoded number (I assume date/time info) as the filename.

However, when popcorn adds them to iTunes, it just uses the encoded filename as the "show" filed, which means they are not groups but show properly. Or even ordered properly for viewing.

When you set up syncing with iPhone or AppleTV you can choose specific shows to sync, but since each episode has a unique name, you have to manually select each episode.

Is there a way to get the correct show name, episode id/description, and recording dates when adding it to iTunes?

Edited by Steve Reed

7 answers to this question

Tivo transfer saves the show name, espisode name and some encoded number (I assume date/time info) as the filename.

However, when popcorn adds them to iTunes, it just uses the encoded filename as the "show" filed, which means they are not groups but show properly. Or even ordered properly for viewing.

When you set up syncing with iPhone or AppleTV you can choose specific shows to sync, but since each episode has a unique name, you have to manually select each episode.

Is there a way to get the correct show name, episode id/description, and recording dates when adding it to iTunes?

I told roxio about this problem before they took the new popcorn out of beta. They choose not to fix it for whatever reason. Your probably having it auto encode after transferring. That seems to be the problem. If you transfer it then manually open popcorn and start the encode process it will go into itunes the right way. This should be any easy fix for roxio but I guess since they already got paid it does them no good to fix it. I expect that it will be fixed in popcorn 4. In a year or so for a simple upgrade fee we can have this bug corrected. Thanks roxio.

I told roxio about this problem before they took the new popcorn out of beta. They choose not to fix it for whatever reason. Your probably having it auto encode after transferring. That seems to be the problem. If you transfer it then manually open popcorn and start the encode process it will go into itunes the right way. This should be any easy fix for roxio but I guess since they already got paid it does them no good to fix it. I expect that it will be fixed in popcorn 4. In a year or so for a simple upgrade fee we can have this bug corrected. Thanks roxio.

I had expected a better quality product from ROXIO. Too bad. I will not give them another $49 for a half baked program like this. It does soo little already, at least it could add the videos to iTunes correctly...

I will go shareware next time.

Uses iTunes to edit the files. It works better anyway. Tivo files are inconsistent and they change the format without telling their partners. You don't even know if it's a Popcorn issue. It's possible Tivo Transfer is causing the problem by not sending the meta data correctly. Tivo Transfer is made by Tivo, so any issues with it should be sent to them.

As for riddick021 comments, he couldn't have told Roxio this was in issue in the beta as the files didn't get sent to iTunes correctly in the beta version.

Uses iTunes to edit the files. It works better anyway. Tivo files are inconsistent and they change the format without telling their partners. You don't even know if it's a Popcorn issue. It's possible Tivo Transfer is causing the problem by not sending the meta data correctly. Tivo Transfer is made by Tivo, so any issues with it should be sent to them.

As for riddick021 comments, he couldn't have told Roxio this was in issue in the beta as the files didn't get sent to iTunes correctly in the beta version.

Yes i did. They didn't go into itunes automatically they were dumped on to the desktop. When i double clicked the video on the desktop it would copy to itunes without the metadata. Do you work for roxio? You seem quick to push the blame on to Tivo. The thing is this feature was buggy on release of popcorn well before Tivo updated their OS. I am fairly certain this is a problem with the Roxio software because like I said in earlier posts this problem only comes up when the process is automated. You could take the same Tivo file that was auto encoded wrong and manually open it in popcorn (by dragging it into popcorn) and have it give you a perfectly converted h.264 file with full metadata. This is definitely Roxio's fault.

If Tivo transfer saves them to disk and I manually add them to popcorn iTunes data is set correctly. So it's not a metadata problem.

TAt least there is a work around for now (Thanks riddick021). It's just a pain, and an obvious bug that should have been cause, even with basic product testing...

And by the way, Tivo Transfer is part of a Roxio product. It is sold by them, I PAID them, so they need to stand by it and support it. I don't care if Tivo originally wrote the code. I just want the product I paid for to work.

If Tivo transfer saves them to disk and I manually add them to popcorn iTunes data is set correctly. So it's not a metadata problem.

TAt least there is a work around for now (Thanks riddick021). It's just a pain, and an obvious bug that should have been cause, even with basic product testing...

And by the way, Tivo Transfer is part of a Roxio product. It is sold by them, I PAID them, so they need to stand by it and support it. I don't care if Tivo originally wrote the code. I just want the product I paid for to work.

Amen brother.

Well I put together 2 applescript's that will do what Roxio has failed to do, completely automate the process from TiVo to itunes/ipod. If your interested in the scripts leave a message in this thread and I will get it to you. Also if you want to tweak these script and make it even better feel free. Hopefully Roxio will fix their buggy software so we don't have to rely on workarounds but I'm not going to hold my breath. The way I made the scripts is I have one to initiate transfers and one to encode. I set these scripts to run at two different times while I'm sleeping using iCal.

The first script which i run at 1am makes Aliases to the TiVo files already in the TivoShows folder then deletes the original file. I do this to save space. The aliases trick autotransfer into thinking previously downloaded files are still in the folder so they don't get re-downloaded. It then opens Roxios Tivo Transfer program. I choose not to auto empty the trash but I may add that in if I find myself forgetting to manually empty it. If anyone knows how I can delete the Tivo files automatically without sending it to the trash please let me know.

I run the next script at 5am it opens the downloaded files with popcorn and uses GUI scripting to start the encoding.

After all of this you have a show in itunes with all the metadata ready to be put on your ipod. I just wrote this today so I haven't tested it much but so far its working good.

Considering it took me one day to get this to work I really hope Roxio will come up with a built in solution so I don't have to guess how much time I need to leave between downloading and encoding. Plus I paid for Roxio to write working software not for the opportunity to fix their bugs.