Drag To Disc - Copying Films.

budgie03

Question

I am new to this forum, have only posted once before. Today revisiting I cannot locate my original posts and replies. So I am obliged to post here. Hope it is in the right place. If so can any contributor advise. And if this is not in the right place, please advise where it should be placed.

My problem is this: Previously when trying to copy a film from my hard drive to disc and using 'Roxio EM7 Disk Copy' I had a problem which a forum contributor advised and put right. However in trying again today to copy another film from my hard drive to disk, on completion of the copying, and when I activated 'eject' on the pc (as before) this time "Drag to Disk" intervened. I have no idea how or why. I had not altered anything on Roxio since I last copied the first film.

A "DRAG TO DISC" notice was displayed on which there was the facility for activating EJECT. But when I activated EJECT a notice was the displayed advising "it would take up to 4 minutes to eject". Finally and after the disk was ejected I then tried to replay it using my PC DVD Player. Only to be informed immediately that the disk was dirty or corrupted. I also tried to replay it in my Phillips DVD player but it didn't work there either, reporting "disc error".

Can anyone please advise on how or why "Drag to Disk" intervened? And can anyone tell me how to get rid of it? In all the work I have done with Roxio I have never used this "Drag to Disk" function. And I see no use for it (as far as I am concerned) at all. I am furious that it intervened today - without being activated in any way whatsoever by me - wasting my valuable time.

Thanks

budgie03

5 answers to this question

I am new to this forum, have only posted once before. Today revisiting I cannot locate my original posts and replies. So I am obliged to post here. Hope it is in the right place. If so can any contributor advise. And if this is not in the right place, please advise where it should be placed.

My problem is this: Previously when trying to copy a film from my hard drive to disc and using 'Roxio EM7 Disk Copy' I had a problem which a forum contributor advised and put right. However in trying again today to copy another film from my hard drive to disk, on completion of the copying, and when I activated 'eject' on the pc (as before) this time "Drag to Disk" intervened. I have no idea how or why. I had not altered anything on Roxio since I last copied the first film.

A "DRAG TO DISC" notice was displayed on which there was the facility for activating EJECT. But when I activated EJECT a notice was the displayed advising "it would take up to 4 minutes to eject". Finally and after the disk was ejected I then tried to replay it using my PC DVD Player. Only to be informed immediately that the disk was dirty or corrupted. I also tried to replay it in my Phillips DVD player but it didn't work there either, reporting "disc error".

Can anyone please advise on how or why "Drag to Disk" intervened? And can anyone tell me how to get rid of it? In all the work I have done with Roxio I have never used this "Drag to Disk" function. And I see no use for it (as far as I am concerned) at all. I am furious that it intervened today - without being activated in any way whatsoever by me - wasting my valuable time.

Thanks

budgie03

It all depends if you have the downloaded version or the retail (boxed) version of the program. You can do one of two things with the retail model. The second may not be available if you have the download version.

1. Go to Start/Run, and type in msconfig, and hit ok. When the screen comes up, click on the Startup tab and disable Drag to Disc. Reboot, and put a check mark in the box in the lower left corner of the pop up screen, when you first get into windows. That way, you won't see that box again.

2. Go to Add/Remove Programs, scroll down to the Roxio entry, and click on Change. Go through the next screens until you get to the one where you select Modify. You can then mark Drag to Disc to not be loaded on your computer hard drive. It will uninstall D2D.

I suspect you formatted the disc.

Take the formatted disc, and carefully place it somewhere else, sucsh as the trashcan.

Then take a BLANK blank, directly out of the package or off the spindle, and try again.

Either before or after that, follow GrandpaBruce's instruction to ditch the Packet-Writing program - not just Drag2Disc and DirectCD, but also Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, and all other Packet-Writing programs are best used to lose all data permantly. You can speed the loss of data by using RW media.

Lynn

I suspect you formatted the disc.

Take the formatted disc, and carefully place it somewhere else, such as the trashcan.

Then take a BLANK blank, directly out of the package or off the spindle, and try again.

Either before or after that, follow GrandpaBruce's instruction to ditch the Packet-Writing program - not just Drag2Disc and DirectCD, but also Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, and all other Packet-Writing programs are best used to lose all data permantly. You can speed the loss of data by using RW media.

Lynn

I am grateful to both you and GrandpaBruce for your advice. As I explained I am a virtual novice in this technology. But what puzzles me is that I did successfully copy a film to disc using Roxio EMC7, and utilizing exactly the same procedure as I did this time. Last time when the copying of the film was completed successfuly, on activating 'eject' on the pc dvd drive, the disc was ejected as normal. But this time doing exactly the same "Drag to Disc" intervened and sprang into view. Activating the 'eject' function from there, from within this "Drag to Disc" dialog. Brought about the advice (and procedure) of the 4 minutes delay. I believe it was in this 4 minutes delay process where the disk became corrupted.

Re your advice about using a 'blank' disc. This was a brand new blank disc. And on inserting it in the drive Roxio advised that it was a "blank disc". I had that confirmation before beginning the burn. I had wanted to buy some blank dvd-r or dvd-rw disks for this film-copying purpose. And had contacted 'dvdshoponline'. I explained carefully what I wanted to do. And they informed me that they would send me a couple of samples for me to try and test prior to purchase. I received two discs today. One dsik "Ritek dvd-r" which I used his morning. And another one, "Fujifilm DVD-R"; which I might try to use next.

Re. GrandpaBruce's instructions; I am not sure that I am confident about carrying them out. I might try and have a go at it. My EMC7 is the boxed version. But I have not messed about with such technical changes before.

One last point: if you are familiar with the "Drag to Disc" function operating at the end of the copying process, and when the dialog offering the option "Eject" is shown on the screen; instead of activating eject at this point; is there another option available that could or should be used? How else is the copying process completed, to be able to eject the disc? Maybe I should have done something else - at this point - instead of selecting eject.

Thanks again to you both. Regards

budgie03

If you are using Disc Copier, and Drag to Disc pops up, you have major problems with the software, or you have a formatted disc in the drive. You never want to use Drag to Disc to copy a video DVD.

You do not ever format a disc unless you are using Drag to Disc, so if you used a formatted disc, that is your problem.

I am grateful to both you and GrandpaBruce for your advice. As I explained I am a virtual novice in this technology. But what puzzles me is that I did successfully copy a film to disc using Roxio EMC7, and utilizing exactly the same procedure as I did this time. Last time when the copying of the film was completed successfuly, on activating 'eject' on the pc dvd drive, the disc was ejected as normal. But this time doing exactly the same "Drag to Disc" intervened and sprang into view. Activating the 'eject' function from there, from within this "Drag to Disc" dialog. Brought about the advice (and procedure) of the 4 minutes delay. I believe it was in this 4 minutes delay process where the disk became corrupted.

Re your advice about using a 'blank' disc. This was a brand new blank disc. And on inserting it in the drive Roxio advised that it was a "blank disc". I had that confirmation before beginning the burn. I had wanted to buy some blank dvd-r or dvd-rw disks for this film-copying purpose. And had contacted 'dvdshoponline'. I explained carefully what I wanted to do. And they informed me that they would send me a couple of samples for me to try and test prior to purchase. I received two discs today. One dsik "Ritek dvd-r" which I used his morning. And another one, "Fujifilm DVD-R"; which I might try to use next.

Re. GrandpaBruce's instructions; I am not sure that I am confident about carrying them out. I might try and have a go at it. My EMC7 is the boxed version. But I have not messed about with such technical changes before.

One last point: if you are familiar with the "Drag to Disc" function operating at the end of the copying process, and when the dialog offering the option "Eject" is shown on the screen; instead of activating eject at this point; is there another option available that could or should be used? How else is the copying process completed, to be able to eject the disc? Maybe I should have done something else - at this point - instead of selecting eject.

Thanks again to you both. Regards

budgie03

It's pretty clear that somehow you activated Drag2Disc, because the 4-minute delay would be the time it would take to write it. You didn't "corrupt" the disc by ejecting it before the 4-minute delay, you simply ended up with a disc that hadn't been (and couldn't be) completed.

Did you use the same set of commands the first time as the second time? Because it sounds like there was a major difference.

Lynn

Archived