rajivthakur

Problem Copying Jpg Files

Hi

I have been doing the following to copy files to a CD, but suddenly it started giving me problems :-

1. Click on Direct CD Format Utility and formatting the CD.

2. Copying the files from a Local folder to CD(using Windows Explorer).

I am trying to copy 36000 Jpg files to the CD and the total size of the data is 590MB.

After finishing copying 85% of the total data approx. it displays an error message which is strange too :- Error Meesage - Error copying the file File A to E:\File B Disk Full

Genius minds on this forum - please reply.

thanks..

Hi

I have been doing the following to copy files to a CD, but suddenly it started giving me problems :-

I am trying to copy 36000 Jpg files to the CD and the total size of the data is 590MB.

After finishing copying 85% of the total data approx. it displays an error message which is strange too :- Error Meesage - Error copying the file File A to E:\File B Disk Full

thanks..

You never stated disc type and capacity. CDR, CDRW, 650mb, 700mb. Direct CD is known to use 100mb in the format. Direct cd packet writing is a bad idea for backup of 36000 pics! Use Creator data cd project udf iso 9660 on a cdr.

cdanteek

Hi

thanks..

Well, keep in mind that after formatting a CD-R with Direct CD, you'll only have a little over 600MB of space available, less, if you use a CD-RW disc (around 550MB). The formatting takes up space. Now, just as with a HD, the actual space used on the CD will likely be more than the actual size of the file. Depending on whether you're using a CD-R (variable block length) or CD-RW (fixed block length), more or less space will be wasted, but figure on an average of 1K wasted per file. For all 36,000 files, that would be about 36MB of wasted space. Add that to the actual size of the files, and you're well over 600MB, and probably over the limit for what you can fit onto the CD when your write it using Direct CD.

If instead you chose a Data CD project, and add your files into ECDC, then wrote to a blank, not formatted disc, you should have no problem fitting all of your files onto a single disc, even if there is 36MB of "wasted" space. (Each block on a Data CD holds 2K bytes. If a file ends even 2 bytes into the last block, the entire block is allocated to that file.)

Consider that the error message is telling you exactly what the problem is, when writing using Direct CD, the disc doesn't have enough room for your data.

Hope that helps!

You may have some problems writing 36,000 files to a CD with Easy CD Creator.

ECDC 5.x fails at file number 17,501 - both Basic and Platinum.

If you were to ZIP or RAR your 36,000 files into one archive you could happily write them with Direct CD (if you didn't really need them) or with CD Creator.

If you were to ZIP or RAR your 36,000 files into one archive you could happily write them with Direct CD (if you didn't really need them) or with CD Creator.

Thanks brendon,

How did they know someone only wanted to put 17,501 files to cd. Instead of 36,000 files. I thought Fat 32 allowed 4 million per volume and 65 thousand per directory, and NTFS like 4 billion each? A software limit?

"you could happily write them with Direct CD (if you didn't really need them)" Grin

cdanteek

Does it matter if they're organized into subfolders? Or does any layout fail at 17,501 files? Or only with that many files in the root directory?

Right. The thing Packet-Written CDs do best is permanently lose all data. If a CD-RW is formatted, that will speed the disappearance of the files permanently.

(written in memory of the 80% of the data on the DirectCD formatted CD-RW, which were not also on the Hard Drive - and were permanently lost)

If you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the disc. Use a sessions-based program (such as DataProject, or the WinXP built-in burning program), and a BLANK blank, directly out of the package or off the spindle.

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109