• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Media Import Capture Frustration.

bds1958

Question

Why is it when using Media Import- Capture from my Sony Camcorder it wont capture the complete tape as 1 file. It continually splits the capture into lots of seperate files. I just want one file to enable back up to disc.

Even if I click on "Capture Entire Tape" it still splits it into "scene files".

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

14 answers to this question

I assumed you were capturing from a digital camcorder :rolleyes:

How have you connected your analogue camcorder to your PC? I have no problem capturing from an old analogue camcorder but then I use my digital camcorder in the pass-thru-mode. But if another application works, use it and import the video into videowave. I also use other apps for some tasks. I don't think there is a single application that does it all :(

I am using my digital camcorder with some old analogue tapes.

Camera connected via Firewire.

What is "Pass-Thru-Mode"?

When I look in the location it is saved to there are a series of files.

I am capturing to mpeg-2

I forgot to mention that when I try to "capture entire tape" it stops capturing after it saves the first file, which is usually at a scene change. I have to manually start capturing it again and again and again etc giving me a series of files. Why wont it just capture the whole tape automatically to one file?

I have tried Windows Movie Maker which captures the whole tape in one file.

Also WinAVI Video Capture does it seamlessly as well.

(I seem to remember having a similar problem a while back using EMC 7)

Are there short gaps on your tape between the scenes where you stopped and started recording? If there are short blank spots the program may think that is the end of tape and just stop.

Are there short gaps on your tape between the scenes where you stopped and started recording? If there are short blank spots the program may think that is the end of tape and just stop.

Surely if you select "Capture Entire Tape" it shouldn't matter?

Surely if you select "Capture Entire Tape" it shouldn't matter?

It does matter especially if your tape does not have a continuous timecode. This is a quote from the Pinnacle Studio 9 manual (could not find anything similar in EMC 9 manual) to show that it occurs not only with EMC 9. I think the comment also applies to "capture Entire Tape"

"SmartCapture can still be used with tapes that do not have continuous timecode throughout, but a separate capture file must be created for each segment of the tape. SmartCapture will stop capturing when a break in timecode is detected. To continue capturing, cue the tape to the start of the next video segment and click Start Capture again." (SmartCapture is Pinnacles equivalent to EMC's SmartScan.)

As you have discovered there are other programs that do capture the entire tape in one go.

Personally I never use SmartScan or capture in segments longer then 10 minutes. I prefer to work with small files, much easier wqhen you are doing editing.

Digital camcorder to PC is obviously firewire but how do I connect analog camcorder to digital camcorder?

With the red, white, and yellow RCA cables, if your digital camcorder has the input jacks for that. Not all digital camcorders have pass through capabilities.

I know that the ones made for sale in Europe (PAL) don't have the pass through capabilites, due to some laws there.

Sony's with the E designation, at the end of the model name, are PAL, and don't have the pass through capability that the same camera, made for sale in the USA, has.

Mine is an example of that. I have the Sony DCR-HC96, and I have pass through capabilities. The Sony DCR-HC96E is the same video camera, but is PAL, and has no pass through capability.

It does matter especially if your tape does not have a continuous timecode. This is a quote from the Pinnacle Studio 9 manual (could not find anything similar in EMC 9 manual) to show that it occurs not only with EMC 9. I think the comment also applies to "capture Entire Tape"

"SmartCapture can still be used with tapes that do not have continuous timecode throughout, but a separate capture file must be created for each segment of the tape. SmartCapture will stop capturing when a break in timecode is detected. To continue capturing, cue the tape to the start of the next video segment and click Start Capture again." (SmartCapture is Pinnacles equivalent to EMC's SmartScan.)

As you have discovered there are other programs that do capture the entire tape in one go.

Personally I never use SmartScan or capture in segments longer then 10 minutes. I prefer to work with small files, much easier wqhen you are doing editing.

Thanks for that.

The tapes in question do not have a time code as they are analogue not digital.

Looks like I need to use other applications to capture the entire tape at once.

Still frustrating though that EMC 9 wont do it....................... :angry:

With the red, white, and yellow RCA cables, if your digital camcorder has the input jacks for that. Not all digital camcorders have pass through capabilities.

I know that the ones made for sale in Europe (PAL) don't have the pass through capabilites, due to some laws there.

Sony's with the E designation, at the end of the model name, are PAL, and don't have the pass through capability that the same camera, made for sale in the USA, has.

Mine is an example of that. I have the Sony DCR-HC96, and I have pass through capabilities. The Sony DCR-HC96E is the same video camera, but is PAL, and has no pass through capability.

That answers why I can't connect.

I have an "E" model.

Thanks for the info.

I am using my digital camcorder with some old analogue tapes.

Camera connected via Firewire.

What is "Pass-Thru-Mode"?

Connecting the analog camera to the digital camers and use the digital camera itself as the analog to digital converter.

Why is it when using Media Import- Capture from my Sony Camcorder it wont capture the complete tape as 1 file. It continually splits the capture into lots of seperate files. I just want one file to enable back up to disc.

Even if I click on "Capture Entire Tape" it still splits it into "scene files".

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

When you look on your hard drive, after capturing, do you see more than one file? Are you capturing as .avi? You should be, but those files will be pretty large and won't fit on a DVD doing a straight backup.

When you look on your hard drive, after capturing, do you see more than one file? Are you capturing as .avi? You should be, but those files will be pretty large and won't fit on a DVD doing a straight backup.

When I look in the location it is saved to there are a series of files.

I am capturing to mpeg-2

I forgot to mention that when I try to "capture entire tape" it stops capturing after it saves the first file, which is usually at a scene change. I have to manually start capturing it again and again and again etc giving me a series of files. Why wont it just capture the whole tape automatically to one file?

I have tried Windows Movie Maker which captures the whole tape in one file.

Also WinAVI Video Capture does it seamlessly as well.

(I seem to remember having a similar problem a while back using EMC 7)

Thanks for that.

The tapes in question do not have a time code as they are analogue not digital.

Looks like I need to use other applications to capture the entire tape at once.

Still frustrating though that EMC 9 wont do it....................... :angry:

I assumed you were capturing from a digital camcorder :rolleyes:

How have you connected your analogue camcorder to your PC? I have no problem capturing from an old analogue camcorder but then I use my digital camcorder in the pass-thru-mode. But if another application works, use it and import the video into videowave. I also use other apps for some tasks. I don't think there is a single application that does it all :(

Archived