cd rom read/write

h2o

Question

The desktop is Dell Optiplex 270, O/S is XP Pro. Device id is hl-dt-st re/dvd gcc 4481b, id string is

c103 \5&33d6ca78&0&0.0.0. Cannot read or write to media, typically cd-rw mode. Device properties shows partially disabled with a message '...enabling device not found'. Drag to disk shows 'no recorder'

6 answers to this question

Drag to Disc should see your recorder, since Roxio picked up the GCC-4481B way back in version 5. I've never seen that error in Computer Management, though, so I don't have experience with it.

Windows has a confusing habit of calling both hardware and the device drivers which run the hardware "devices". The first thing I would try if I was in your position is to go to Device Manager and delete the cd-burner from Device Manager.

When you restart your system after that it should recognize the burner as 'new hardware' and install the proper drivers for it. That may cure your problem.

If that doesn't fix things, I would uninstall Easy Media Creator 8, and then reinstall it, hoping that would correct the links between your burner, and the drivers, and Windows.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

I went to plan B. Dell replaced the drive and I'm back in business. Thats for the advice,

Bob

The desktop is Dell Optiplex 270, O/S is XP Pro. Device id is hl-dt-st re/dvd gcc 4481b, id string is

c103 \5&33d6ca78&0&0.0.0. Cannot read or write to media, typically cd-rw mode. Device properties shows partially disabled with a message '...enabling device not found'. Drag to disk shows 'no recorder'

Sounds like your burner is kaput.

Check the connections at both ends of the cables connected to the burner, and then restart the system.

Is it working now? If not, go into Device Manager [right-click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager] and click on the + sign next to DVD/CD-ROM drives. Does your burner show? Does its property sheet say it's working properly or are there yellow warning signs?

Check the connections at both ends of the cables connected to the burner, and then restart the system.

Is it working now? If not, go into Device Manager [right-click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager] and click on the + sign next to DVD/CD-ROM drives. Does your burner show? Does its property sheet say it's working properly or are there yellow warning signs?

The drive is connected. The properties show that the device is working properly, but if I go thru computer management and see the device display, the message '..device cannot be started,..enabling device cannot be found.' Does this help ? Thanks.

Bob

Drag to Disc should see your recorder, since Roxio picked up the GCC-4481B way back in version 5. I've never seen that error in Computer Management, though, so I don't have experience with it.

Windows has a confusing habit of calling both hardware and the device drivers which run the hardware "devices". The first thing I would try if I was in your position is to go to Device Manager and delete the cd-burner from Device Manager.

When you restart your system after that it should recognize the burner as 'new hardware' and install the proper drivers for it. That may cure your problem.

If that doesn't fix things, I would uninstall Easy Media Creator 8, and then reinstall it, hoping that would correct the links between your burner, and the drivers, and Windows.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived