• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cant install AVG7.5 due to Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator

wasser1

I am trying to install AVG 7.5 on a Win 2000 box. During the AVG installtion I get a warning that I am running an older version of Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator which contains a bug that (among others) can cause a problem with AVG. The message directs me to a link on Roxio's web site http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/mserr/cdr4_7.html that informs me that

"Thank you for submitting an error report. The error was likely caused by:

Roxio's CDR4 (cdr4_xp.sys) Roxio, Inc. is the manufacturer. An update is available that may correct the problem you reported. To obtain the update and more information from the Roxio, Inc. Web site please click here."

The "here" is the driver update utility "updatecdr4_53_71.exe". Upon running this patch I get the error message "The updater is designer for CDR4 drivers 7.1 and above". Dead end. :(

The Win 2000 PC in question may have had Roxio Easy Creater a long time ago but now no Roxio it is not even listed in Add/remove programs. My goal is to install AVG.

Please help,

RW

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue. As suggested, I renamed cdr4_xp.sys to cdr4_xp_BACKUP.sys, but now when I run updatecdr4_53_71.exe it gives me the error "The Cdr4 layer has not been detected".

Note that my goal is to KEEP Easy CD Creator AND install AVG.

Another other advice?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,

If you want to try to keep both, then rename that file back to what it was originally named and try to update it with the updater.

Wasser1 did not have Easy CD Creator any more, so I told him to get rid of cdr4_xp.sys. He was in a very different situation from yours.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks Brendon.

I renamed the .sys file to hide it and installed AVG. I then renamed the .sys file back to the original name and haven't had problems yet. (I ran an AVG scan and brought up Roxio Disc Copier). I read somewhere that the problem is actually with Roxio 6 so I'm not going to try any harder to get the updater to install.

Thanks much,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Usually updating cdr4_xp.sys solves the problem. It seems that AVG doesn't like the earlier version of cdr4.

Roxio had their module out well before AVG appeared and conflicted, so I don't know why Roxio had to change theirs instead of vice versa. Perhaps the Roxio module broke some agreed programming convention? But that's just guessing, because I don't know.

Glad you sorted it,

Brendon

Archived