• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 5 Mac OS Sys Req.

iltfp

Question

Hi,

Can Toast 5 (and Jam) run on Mac OS 10.4.3.

I upgraded the OS 18 months ago and am just now looking at Mastering a Project .... and hoping that I do not also have to upgrade Toast and Jam. (Not being a fan of upgrades, generally.)

Thanks!

joHn :rolleyes:

6 answers to this question

Hi

I need to run Roxo 5.1.2 with OS 10.4.11. First, is it possible?

What software upgrade will I need? and where do I find it?

Thank for your reply

Veno

I don't recall what was the first version of Toast 5 that worked in OS X. I have Toast 5.2.3 and it launches fine in OS 10.4.11 but I've never used it because I have the later versions.

The way it worked to update Toast 5 was to boot into OS 9 and apply the Toast updater. However, the Toast 5 updaters are no longer available.

So you need to buy Toast 8 and forget about using Toast 5 unless the version you have now launches okay.

I don't recall what was the first version of Toast 5 that worked in OS X. I have Toast 5.2.3 and it launches fine in OS 10.4.11 but I've never used it because I have the later versions.

The way it worked to update Toast 5 was to boot into OS 9 and apply the Toast updater. However, the Toast 5 updaters are no longer available.

So you need to buy Toast 8 and forget about using Toast 5 unless the version you have now launches okay.

I still have the original box and it reeds ''Built for Mac OS X"

I had to replace my hard drive and now I can no longer boot up in OS 9. It oes through the loading but on OS 9 window.

Anyway Thanks for your reply

I had to replace my hard drive and now I can no longer boot up in OS 9. It oes through the loading but on OS 9 window.

I think you can run Jam 5 in Classic but you can't burn a disc in Classic mode. You'd need to have a Mac that can boot into OS 9 for that. I don't know if there ever was an OSX update for Jam 5.

There were OS X updates to Toast 5 although the installer required booting into OS 8 or 9 and then could be updated. If you have the updated version (such as Toast 5.2.3) then it may launch in OS 10.4.3. Still, with those versions you probably should do your mastering on a Mac that's booted in OS 9. What may cause you grief are the QuickTime upgrades that may cause problems for versions of Toast and Jam that were designed for QuickTime 5 and 6.

Jam 6 works in OS X but it isn't sold any longer. The new Toast 8 has many of the Jam 6 features (plus some additions) but also lacks a couple features that the pro audio people want.

You may have the version that included an OS X installer. Give it a try. However, why don't you just use Apple's disc burning from the Finder? What kind of discs are you wanting to burn with Toast?

REPLY ... SO FAR.

Toast 5 and Jam 5 installed and will launch. Toast recognizes the burner. I'll let you know once I figure out the other issues ... I've got a two hour concert that I want to edit into tracks. I bounce tracks from Protools ... but figure that there has to be a better way. I figure that I should be able to set region markers and have Toast see those as "tracks for a CD.

We'll see....

joHn

I think you can run Jam 5 in Classic but you can't burn a disc in Classic mode. You'd need to have a Mac that can boot into OS 9 for that. I don't know if there ever was an OSX update for Jam 5.

There were OS X updates to Toast 5 although the installer required booting into OS 8 or 9 and then could be updated. If you have the updated version (such as Toast 5.2.3) then it may launch in OS 10.4.3. Still, with those versions you probably should do your mastering on a Mac that's booted in OS 9. What may cause you grief are the QuickTime upgrades that may cause problems for versions of Toast and Jam that were designed for QuickTime 5 and 6.

Jam 6 works in OS X but it isn't sold any longer. The new Toast 8 has many of the Jam 6 features (plus some additions) but also lacks a couple features that the pro audio people want.

Archived