• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Missing audio from mpeg video files

David Moezinia

Question

I am on a Windows XP Home system running the Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 suite.

The issue is that some older mpeg videos that I created with Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 no longer have sound. It used to be that I could play and receive both video and sound but now only the video plays without audio.

Other interesting observations…

* These mpegs show up under windows explorer as just icons, not as thumbnails even when I have “View Thumbnails” option selected. However the mpegs that work DO SHOW UP as viewable thumbnails under Explorer and have sound.

* The effected mpeg videos will display video but not play any sound (audio)

* These mpegs were all created with Roxio Easy Media Creator 7. However, attempting to open the Roxio .dmsm files that accompany these mpeg files says that the it is not a valid media project.

All these mpeg video files exist on an external hard drive; NOT on the PC’s internal hard drive.

Also video programs installed on this Windows XP Home machine are: Pinnacle Studio 9, Ulead Video Studio 7 SE DVD, DIVX player, VLC (VideoLan player), Real Player 10.5, Windows Media Player 11, and Windows Movie Maker.

How can I restore the audio sound of these mpeg files created under Roxio Easy media Creator 7?

Thank you in advance,

- David Moezinia

3 answers to this question

You list WMP 11 as an app that you probably added since the time you created those. So as has been mentioned, it could be the addition of that, or IE 7, or adding/updating RealPlayer that may be causing you not to hear the sound.

My question is, which of all those apps you listed have you tried playing them in? VLC is one that should play them fine since it does not rely on the codecs the way the other ones do.

Have you made any changes to your audio hardware or drivers?

Archived