The Highlander

Vista Set To Swallow 800mb Of Ram

A CHAP who managed to sneak a peek at the Vole's internal beta version 2 of Windows 53xx informed us that, even while idling, Vista eats as much as 800Mb of system memory.

Yeah, we were shocked too, but you have to believe the screenshot below.

Memory manufacturers couldn't be happier about that, as it will make people to go out and buy more memory. Our source reported that Vista runs ok with 1024Mb of system memory but no-doubt 2048Mb would be much better.

Vista won't install on FAT32 partitions, it only likes NTFS partitions. We also know that the system performs quite well on an Athlon 4000+ and a Geforce 7800 GTX 512 works just fine in the mix. Aero glass looks good, we liked it when we first clapped eyes on Beta 1 version.

Vista occupies roughly three times more space than Windows XP. In fact, it'll require up to a whopping seven gigabytes of drive space.

Read this fully at the published site here?

I'll have to check CPU usage myself but I've had no memory issues so far in my testing. It runs just about as fast on my rig as XP Pro. So many of the new programs coming out will need a minimum of 1 gb ram so its no surprise that the new OS will run better with more than that. I personally wouldn't want anything less than 1 gb anyway for any video/photo work.

I'm not taking up for MS but it is still in beta but the last beta download was over 2.4 gb.....glad I have a fast cable connection.

Who was it said:

"Who would ever want more than 640 KB MB GB of RAM" ??

:)

Who was it said:

"Who would ever want more than 640 KB MB GB of RAM" ??

ROFLMAO! I thought the first one that I used was 64KB, but I know that it was 640KB.

The first PC I ever owned was an IBM PC Jr. that had a 10MB hard drive and I thought you could put the whole world on it at that time. There wasn't any Internet and the operating system was DOS 1.x as I remember. I still have just about all of the following operating systems that came along right on up to XP. A lot of them were on 1.44MB floppy disks but then the rest are on CD's. I still miss the old DOS days every once in a while. I thought DOS 6.2 was the best. I think that was the last one just before Windows 3.x came out.

Good old days---

Frank....

The first PC I ever owned was an IBM PC Jr. that had a 10MB hard drive and I thought you could put the whole world on it at that time. There wasn't any Internet and the operating system was DOS 1.x as I remember. I still have just about all of the following operating systems that came along right on up to XP. A lot of them were on 1.44MB floppy disks but then the rest are on CD's. I still miss the old DOS days every once in a while. I thought DOS 6.2 was the best. I think that was the last one just before Windows 3.x came out.

Good old days---

Frank....

You had a computer with a hard drive? Wow, you were way ahead of me. Mine was a TRS80 but it did have dual 5.25" floppies.

That TRS80 was a "TANDY" Corp. deal wasn't it ? I remember them but never had one. Actually the first ever computer like device I had was one that you hooked up to your TV and it came with a separate deal that had 16 "KB" of memory. WOW !!! and plugged into the small little black box. On the box was something like a keyborad but to enter anything you had to enter it letter by letter as I remember. I can't remember what the name of it was but it also had a program on it that was a Spread Sheet type program. And boy, was that something !! Boy, that was a long time ago and it's amazing I can even remember some of the particulars.

Frank.......

That TRS80 was a "TANDY" Corp. deal wasn't it ? I remember them but never had one. Actually the first ever computer like device I had was one that you hooked up to your TV and it came with a separate deal that had 16 "KB" of memory. WOW !!! and plugged into the small little black box. On the box was something like a keyborad but to enter anything you had to enter it letter by letter as I remember. I can't remember what the name of it was but it also had a program on it that was a Spread Sheet type program. And boy, was that something !! Boy, that was a long time ago and it's amazing I can even remember some of the particulars.

Frank.......

Was that a Commodore? I think my brother had one of them. My first hard drive was a 20 meg unit that I paid over $300 for and I had no idea how to install it. 20 megs and I thought I would never run out of space.

Was that a Commodore? I think my brother had one of them. My first hard drive was a 20 meg unit that I paid over $300 for and I had no idea how to install it. 20 megs and I thought I would never run out of space.

I had a friend who taught how to run a computer with a "Sinclair". made by Timex (I don't know if that is the watch company.) A typing error led to having to start from scratch.

I had a friend who taught how to run a computer with a "Sinclair". made by Timex (I don't know if that is the watch company.) A typing error led to having to start from scratch.

I guess I am REALLY old. My first computer was an HP 85. I had to check the specs, but it has an 8-bit .6 MHz (yeah, POINT 6) processor, 8 KB ram (expandable up to 64 KB). $3000 in 1980 - I was doing consulting at the time and just HAD to have it. Fortunately, HP was my client and they gave me the computer to do my work which was developing a new fangled data-collector for surveying applications. What's really sad is I still have it!

Mine was a commodore C64 and it had no hdd just a DAT (tape drive) and a mono screen,

i thought i was the bee's knee's when i got it, as NO one had one in my small town other than me, and it cost a small fortune to get it...

now my PDA has more CPU power than the whole computer system that took Apollo 11 to the moon....

I have a 48k TRS-80 model 1 level II with four drives sitting behind me at the moment.

Blisteringly fast at 1.7MHz, and with 2k of video RAM and real lower-case. Want some power computing done?

I have a 48k TRS-80 model 1 level II with four drives sitting behind me at the moment.

Blisteringly fast at 1.7MHz, and with 2k of video RAM and real lower-case. Want some power computing done?

2k of video RAM?? That wouldn't hold a .jpg

Lynn

Lynn

Yer but Lynn, it made cools sounds when it ran ... little beeps and buzz's... blokes love that sort of thing, similar to the tool mentality most guys have...

I hated those yellow mono screens , and Dont get me started about the green ones,

I remember as a early teen, spending weeks & weeks in the college library taking turns typing in code from a book that rivaled war and piece, to make a game that moved a silly ball around the screen...

Never again, and thank god for real gui's & VB Dot net

Yer but Lynn, it made cools sounds when it ran ... little beeps and buzz's... blokes love that sort of thing, similar to the tool mentality most guys have...

I hated those yellow mono screens , and Dont get me started about the green ones,

I remember as a early teen, spending weeks & weeks in the college library taking turns typing in code from a book that rivaled war and piece, to make a game that moved a silly ball around the screen...

Never again, and thank god for real gui's & VB Dot net

Today's kids are harder to motivate.

Lynn

Lynn

We used the famous TRS-80 block graphics, Lynn.

post-208-1142290103.jpg

This little fellow used to do dancing routines to music, either pre-made, or ones you made yourself.

This little fellow used to do dancing routines to music, either pre-made, or ones you made yourself.

OMG Brendon,

Man i must be old.... i remember that little dude.... now you know how to make a guy feel old.....

Now i had to find that dam thing now that you reminded me of it.

here you can see it, download it, and get the manual.....wow memories

Edited by rydall2000

Big grin.

That's a screen photo I took a couple of minutes before I posted it. Never could do screen capture with the TRS-80.

Holy Moly !!! Now I thought I was just about the oldest dude to occupy this forum. Now I am beginning to wonder if maybe I have some company after reading all the old timer gear that some of you have.

I finally had to dig through all my stored boxes of past computer paraphnalia and finally found that gadget I was talking about earlier in the post. It is a "Timex Sinclair 1000" that I bought along with a "VU-Clac" tape (spreadsheet program) and an extra whopping 16kb of additional RAM unit that hooked into the back of the main keyboard, and all the power adapter and cables.

I think there is a picture of it at www.mysite.verizon.net/res20wj3/digitaldatasave. along with some Chevy truck photos. I am just sorry now I didn't keep the little 12" B&W TV that I used to run it on. :) My Dad had a 12" B&W "round" TV that I would like to have even better.

Frank........