• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Slow Burn

zelda1214

Question

Greetings:

I just purchased (a week ago) an iBook G4 with 1.42 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM.

Using Toast Titanium 6.1.1, it takes an hour to burn a DVD using the internal MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-845E. On my old G4, it takes 6 minutes for the same process.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Greetings:

I just purchased (a week ago) an iBook G4 with 1.42 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM.

Using Toast Titanium 6.1.1, it takes an hour to burn a DVD using the internal MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-845E. On my old G4, it takes 6 minutes for the same process.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Test with a different brand of media. It could be that the drive's firmware doesn't work well with that media. I haven't had that issue, though, with my 933 mhz G4 iBook.

Test with a different brand of media. It could be that the drive's firmware doesn't work well with that media. I haven't had that issue, though, with my 933 mhz G4 iBook.

HMM . . . I hadn't considered that aspect. I've successfully used Maxell 8x for many, many burns.

I neglected to say that I'm having the same problem at work with a brand new iMac with essentially the same configuration and software.

Is it possibly a compatibility issue with Toast 6.1.1 and Tiger 10.4.5?

HMM . . . I hadn't considered that aspect. I've successfully used Maxell 8x for many, many burns.

I neglected to say that I'm having the same problem at work with a brand new iMac with essentially the same configuration and software.

Is it possibly a compatibility issue with Toast 6.1.1 and Tiger 10.4.5?

I haven't had any issue with Toast 6.1.1 and OS 10.4.5 and Toast provides me a selection of burn speeds. The actual speeds are a little slower because of buffer underrun prevention and because the drive's burn at a variable speed depending on whether it is writing near the inner, middle or outer part of the disc.

One thing you should try is choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu instead of clicking the burn button. Then burn that image file to disc using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. This should burn faster. Let me know if this changes anything.

I've used Maxell 8X media without difficulty. However, Maxell is now using Taiwan-sourced media instead of its previous Japan-sourced media so I don't know if the current discs are of similar quality to the ones I used. You can read DVD media user reports at videohelp.com.

Archived