Surround Audio?

blheller

Question

Hi,

I need some clarification on Toast 7 audio capabilities. I see it will encode AC3 from PCM audio files, but will it do multichannel (5.1) encoding? I can only get it to do stereo so far. There is nothing in any manual or online that makes it clear what the limitations are!

Even if it won't encode, does anyone know if it will simply burn pre-encoded files that are 5.1? I have a 5.1 AC3 file all ready to go, and Toast keeps converting it to stereo.

I wish this stuff was documented clearly!

Thanks,

Brian

5 answers to this question

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am looking to burn audio-only at the moment. If I have package some blank video or something with it, so be it, but I still would like to be able to get it done with the iLife tools and Toast I have. I'm not sure what to try next, so any specific advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Brian

P.S. I enjoyed some time in Eugene, OR a few years ago at a Composers Symposium of the the Bach Festival-- Beautiful out there, and great people!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am looking to burn audio-only at the moment. If I have package some blank video or something with it, so be it, but I still would like to be able to get it done with the iLife tools and Toast I have. I'm not sure what to try next, so any specific advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Brian

P.S. I enjoyed some time in Eugene, OR a few years ago at a Composers Symposium of the the Bach Festival-- Beautiful out there, and great people!

Happy to know you enjoyed your time in Eugene at the Bach Festival. Hope you return for more of these festivals.

I've done some experimenting and can't find a way to create a 5.1 audio disc with Toast. It will accept the 5.1 AC3 tracks in the Music DVD window but converts them to 2-channel during multiplexing. So the only thing I can think of is to create an .m2v video file of the same length as your AC3 audio. Then drag the .m2v video to the Toast Video window. When Toast asks for the audio file select your 5.1 AC3 file. That should work.

Hi,

I need some clarification on Toast 7 audio capabilities. I see it will encode AC3 from PCM audio files, but will it do multichannel (5.1) encoding? I can only get it to do stereo so far. There is nothing in any manual or online that makes it clear what the limitations are!

Even if it won't encode, does anyone know if it will simply burn pre-encoded files that are 5.1? I have a 5.1 AC3 file all ready to go, and Toast keeps converting it to stereo.

I wish this stuff was documented clearly!

Thanks,

Brian

Toast only encodes 2-channel audio. However, it will use an existing 5.1 ac3 audio stream with an existing .m2v video stream. For example, I've captured HDTV with 5.1 audio and have used Toast to downsample the video to standard definition while retaining the 5.1 audio. Or are you wanting to burn audio only? Please describe your project and maybe we can figure out how to get this to work the way you want.

If you option drop the 5.1 audio in, Toast will not convert to 2 channel. However, you can get as much on the disc.

You're right. I thought I did that during the test this morning but I must have used some key other than the Option because when I just now tried it again the 5.1 audio was retained (using the Music DVD format).

Archived