• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

pfeldman

two bugs in DigitalMedia Plus v7

Question

I have an OEM version of Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7 on my HP laptop. I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2. I have two problems to report:

Problem 1: When I start the application, a dialog box immediately opens. The dialog box displays the following error message:

Internet Explorer Script Error

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 2

Char: 18504

Error: unspecified error

Code: 0

URL: http://soniccentral.sonic.com/enu/sc/v03_d...;&type=MAIN

The dialog box asks me to specify whether I want to continue running scripts on this page. If I say yes, the application seems to work (at least for a while), but I'm still concerned about the error message because I have no idea what it means.

Problem 2: When I close the application, or at other random times, I get a sequence of three error messages. The first of these is as follows:

Mediahub.exe- Application Error

The exception Privileged instruction.

(0xc0000096) occurred in the application at location 0x0165399d.

Click on OK to terminate the program

I've heard that Roxio/Sonic does not provide updates or bug fixes for OEM versions. Is this true?

Dr. Phillip M. Feldman

3 answers to this question

I have an OEM version of Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7 on my HP laptop. I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2. I have two problems to report:

Problem 1: When I start the application, a dialog box immediately opens. The dialog box displays the following error message:

The dialog box asks me to specify whether I want to continue running scripts on this page. If I say yes, the application seems to work (at least for a while), but I'm still concerned about the error message because I have no idea what it means.

Problem 2: When I close the application, or at other random times, I get a sequence of three error messages. The first of these is as follows:

I've heard that Roxio/Sonic does not provide updates or bug fixes for OEM versions. Is this true?

Dr. Phillip M. Feldman

That correct, all support comes from whoever supplied the OEM.

Dr. Phillip M. Feldman

The first issue could be caused if you have installed Internet Explorer 7. If you have, try uninstalling it so it rolls back to v6

For the second issue, the MediaHub error, that is likely caused by Windows Media Player 11 being installed. Rolling that backl to WMP 10 usually fixes that one. You can look at the info in the following KB article on mediahub errors:

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Digital%20M...Studio/000058MD

Dr Feldman, the first "script error" messages are caused by a conflict with IE7, as the previous poster noted. They ARE annoying, but harmless - entirely meaningless and irrelevant. As you've discovered, either answer works, as you are not likely trying to execute scripts (run applications, for ex) when the message appears. I get it simply from looking at Norton Internet Security logs, perhaps anything related to Norton. And on both of my PC's, only one of which is a HP (or Compaq) that I purchased in November, 2006. My other, fwiw, was built for me from scrtach in Feb, 2004 and I've never had ANY problems with it. It is my "control" PC. But, assuming you elect to keep IE7 on your system, I'd choose NO anyway, just to be safe.

More problematic are the second set of 3 messages that accompany termination of the Sonic application. I simply lived with the problem and relied instead on my old, control PC for 9 months. I never even tried to use the software, presuming it and/or me defective, as I was then unable to distiguish between user cluelessness and product deficiency. I chose to ignore the problem and with it, the Compaq, only AFTER HP tech support subjected it to every imaginable test and remedy, each in vain, ultimately concluding that my sole option lay with a system restore to factory settings, with reinstallation of the OS, as my problem SEEMINGLY began with purchase of the PC. That the problem was software, Sonic and its conflict with WMP 11, never occurred to me. (especially since I was ignoring it ;)

But then I got tired of being unable to burn DVDs, the whole reason I upgraded to/bought the Compaq in the first place. And, after token research yesterday, I discovered the Google archive of the following thread in this forum, http://forums.support.roxio.com/lofiversio...php/t12274.html, which led me to linked patch below, which WORKED!!! No more error messages, no need to revert to WMP 10 and no more worry that my installation had been faulty, requiring me to start entirely over as tech support had advised.

It should work for you as well. I just do not understand why, if the problem was common enough to warrant the development of a patch/fix on HP's part, its tech support people were completely unaware of it. I would be angry as well as annoyed had I reverted to factory settings only to discover a repeat of the problem as soon as WMP 11 was installed. By then, however, I could've made the connection myself. Or so I would hope, at least!!

In any event, the solution: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...eriesId=3232029

Good luck!!

Sugaree

Edited by sugaree