• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Wow! I Had Problems Extracting The Download

Wildhorses

Question

Just when I think programs for Windows can't get any worse, I'm surprised! And my new favorite worst program is Roxio EMC10.

Now, I was enticed by the email I received saying I could get Roxio ver 10 at a 50% savings. Little did I know that the savings was the WORKING half of the program.

Now I've downloaded the file RoxioEMCSuitev10_4737GA50R05.exe at a tidy 736 megs (glad I'm on fiberoptic so that only took about 30 minutes) and the file RoxioContentCDv10_SQA.exe another tidy 756 megs... I've got my serial number and ... wait... WinZip Self-Extractor has spent another 10 minutes extracting files and...

Error Message: "Download is Already Complete"

Now that's informative. By the way, I have Toast on my Macs and it just works.

Okay, so I've downloaded the Windows "Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up Utility" and run it. (That's right, Microsoft has had to come up with a utility to... well.... clean up their installer. Oh, I see, a utility to fix the utility.

But that still doesn't fix the inability to install Roxio EMC 10. Yes. I did the clean install found in the Roxio Knowledge base. (ID 000086CR).

My hats off to Roxio that they would even write a program for Windows. But then considering that XP will lamely only burn CD's and not DVD's I'd salivate at filling that gap too! But there in lies the rub. Shouldn't the Roxio program work? Maybe even load? Oh I know. I should have gotten my Microsoft PhD before I attempted something as complex as loading a piece of software, but silly me... I thought that Windows had perfected this after 20 years or so.

It could be worse. I could have loaded Vista like and friend of mine did. I can't repeat what his feelings towards Microsoft are without being banned from this forum.

So. Anyone have a solution other than my wife's, "...just burn your DVD's on your Mac like you always have..."?

14 answers to this question

I thought version 9 had issues in Vista so I wasn't able to use that programme properly until the patch came out.

I still went out and bought version 10 though, and the only problem I've had is with trying to copy a works presentation video dvd (non protected) to an iso file for multiple burns.

One of the major selling points for me is the help and support you get from this forum. Yes some of the replies can be a bit defensive at times, but they're always willing to offer sensible suggestions and proper help. I paid £29.99 in the UK and please tell me where I can get a similar piece of software with all the functions of emc10 for the same price?

I also love to read all the negative vista press that's about these days as well. Have they forgot how XP was in its first year after launch? The memory sure does play tricks.

I mean I install vista and it connects automatically to my router. Try that in XP without SP:2

As for being a resouce hog its currently running 8 programmes including ie7 and taking up 1% cpu usage. Very wasteful !!! :)

ggrussell and grandpabruce (cute kids btw)

Put the file in a new folder and extracted to that folder and viola... it worked!

Seems that Roxio might want to add a README file to make sure idiots like me don't try to open and extract to the downloaded folder?

This is the first program I've downloaded that has had this quirk. But judging from Roxios own forum head count of over 37 thousand members... I'm thinking they didn't write the most friendly and compatible program out there.

Oh yeah, I turned off ZoneAlarm that also may have been screwing up the install. ZOneAlarm isn't the most user friendly program out there either.

Any way, thanks guys for the help.!

ggrussell and grandpabruce (cute kids btw)

Put the file in a new folder and extracted to that folder and viola... it worked!

Seems that Roxio might want to add a README file to make sure idiots like me don't try to open and extract to the downloaded folder?

This is the first program I've downloaded that has had this quirk. But judging from Roxios own forum head count of over 37 thousand members... I'm thinking they didn't write the most friendly and compatible program out there.

Oh yeah, I turned off ZoneAlarm that also may have been screwing up the install. ZOneAlarm isn't the most user friendly program out there either.

Any way, thanks guys for the help.!

You are welcome. Zone Alarm will definitely screw up installing the program.

Glad you got it up and running!

The kids are my grandkids.

BTW, if you haven't burned those extracted files to a DVD, do so. Also, burn the Content stuff to a CD or DVD, too. I would test to see if the DVD boots up to install. If it does, close out of it. And, I would make double copies of both.

You can then dump the extracted folders from your hard drive, along with the downloaded files.

I have to concur with WildHorses on this one. This is the most F'd up application I have ever purchased. I did not download the program but purchased it in a nice new box. Maybe I should frame it, as that is all it's good for. I have owned previous version of the produce with much satisfaction. After removing the old version and installing the new one I have come across the following errors. The only solution to fixing them is to remove 10 and reinstall. Of course that usually adds new surprises.

1) The label program does not print. You click on the print button or menu option and the label application freezes. It cans only ne cleared by rebooting. Its Windows XP SP2, so rebooting is rare to kill a failed application, at least for technical folks.

2) After the various applications run for a while they seem to eat memory space and then lock up the machine. This is evidence of memory leak issue if you ask me.

3) After days or maybe weeks or a full moon for all I know the application fail to start at all. Back to the uninstall and reinstall plan.

Needles to say If I could get my money back I would. If your think of purchasing this version of the product stick with version 9. Anyone want to trade a version 10 for 9?

I have to concur with WildHorses on this one. This is the most F'd up application I have ever purchased. I did not download the program but purchased it in a nice new box. Maybe I should frame it, as that is all it's good for. I have owned previous version of the produce with much satisfaction. After removing the old version and installing the new one I have come across the following errors. The only solution to fixing them is to remove 10 and reinstall. Of course that usually adds new surprises.

1) The label program does not print. You click on the print button or menu option and the label application freezes. It cans only ne cleared by rebooting. Its Windows XP SP2, so rebooting is rare to kill a failed application, at least for technical folks.

2) After the various applications run for a while they seem to eat memory space and then lock up the machine. This is evidence of memory leak issue if you ask me.

3) After days or maybe weeks or a full moon for all I know the application fail to start at all. Back to the uninstall and reinstall plan.

Needles to say If I could get my money back I would. If your think of purchasing this version of the product stick with version 9. Anyone want to trade a version 10 for 9?

WildHorses is up and running. ;)

WildHorses is up and running. ;)

I guess I was lucky; I downloaded both files and installed them in succession with no issues. Both self-extracted with just a double-click and the installation "was on". My old buddy Srinivasan from the Tamil Nadu school of programming did add some curioiusly non-intuitive quirks such as the box outline indicating which language you are selecting. Not a showstopper but definitely a nose-wrinkler. Highlighting seems to be the standard now but I guess Sri didn't get that memo. Also frustrating was clicking on the complete install only to be thrown into Typical Installation in the next dialog-box. I guess in some dialects that means "The Typical Install has all EMC-10 components so when you select Complete, we simply redirect you for your convenience (and confusion)." I'm one of those blockheads who likes to be informed of these little speedbumps. Speaking of being informed, it would have been nice to see a little paragraph explaining why I was getting two files when I purchased one product. Just a little preface so users upon seeing two files nearly identical in size wouldn't have to try and figure out beforehand what to do with them. The last time I instaled Roxio it was Creator 5 Platinum and I don't remember all these hoops and hurdles.

Invaluable help from grandpabruce for those whose installation didn't flow as smoothly as mine did, however why should/would we have to go to a forum or dig through FAQs or whitepapers just to install any program?! <-- (If the word "install" turns out looking goofy it's because of the wack HTML generator in this forum) It could also be interesting, perhaps shed some light to know a few details about the various platforms these installs are failing/succeeding with. In my case it was my wife's virginal HP laptop with Vista running over 2&2; 2 Gigs of RAM and the same Hz on processor speed. I think that's the shaggy lower edge of performance I'd like to try and install this product with. The freespace and condition of same on a particular HDD might also have some impact on some of the install utilities and the install itself. Imagine yourself as a fat-app trying to tip-toe around on a fragmented HDD. Better to have a long and wide landing strip methinks. Well, there's my $0.02 which I think was more of an observation than anything else. The helpin' seemed to have been covered already. Until the next teardrop falls...

Just when I think programs for Windows can't get any worse, I'm surprised! And my new favorite worst program is Roxio EMC10.

Now, I was enticed by the email I received saying I could get Roxio ver 10 at a 50% savings. Little did I know that the savings was the WORKING half of the program.

Now I've downloaded the file RoxioEMCSuitev10_4737GA50R05.exe at a tidy 736 megs (glad I'm on fiberoptic so that only took about 30 minutes) and the file RoxioContentCDv10_SQA.exe another tidy 756 megs... I've got my serial number and ... wait... WinZip Self-Extractor has spent another 10 minutes extracting files and...

Error Message: "Download is Already Complete"

Now that's informative. By the way, I have Toast on my Macs and it just works.

Okay, so I've downloaded the Windows "Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up Utility" and run it. (That's right, Microsoft has had to come up with a utility to... well.... clean up their installer. Oh, I see, a utility to fix the utility.

But that still doesn't fix the inability to install Roxio EMC 10. Yes. I did the clean install found in the Roxio Knowledge base. (ID 000086CR).

My hats off to Roxio that they would even write a program for Windows. But then considering that XP will lamely only burn CD's and not DVD's I'd salivate at filling that gap too! But there in lies the rub. Shouldn't the Roxio program work? Maybe even load? Oh I know. I should have gotten my Microsoft PhD before I attempted something as complex as loading a piece of software, but silly me... I thought that Windows had perfected this after 20 years or so.

It could be worse. I could have loaded Vista like and friend of mine did. I can't repeat what his feelings towards Microsoft are without being banned from this forum.

So. Anyone have a solution other than my wife's, "...just burn your DVD's on your Mac like you always have..."?

You tried to load it on a MAC??????????????

Bruce,

Do I appear to be that stupid?

You really shouldn't ask that question. It's hard to tell from your rambling post.

Make a temporary folder, on your hard drive, right click on the program exe file, and select Extract to, browse to the new folder, and extract the files within the .exe file.

Then try running the program from the folder. It will take awhile to kick in, after you select the language.

Yeah, after rereading my post I DO appear to be that dumb...!

I have the Roxio exe file in my downloads folder. I'm understanding that I should put that exe file in another folder. (When I execute the exe file it starts WinZip and doesn't offer me the opportunity to extract the files to a different folder.)

Yeah, after rereading my post I DO appear to be that dumb...!

I have the Roxio exe file in my downloads folder. I'm understanding that I should put that exe file in another folder. (When I execute the exe file it starts WinZip and doesn't offer me the opportunity to extract the files to a different folder.)

No, don't put it in the folder that you made. Right click on the file, wherever it is on your hard drive, then, if you have WinZip, scroll down to highlight it, and you will see some choices. Pick Extract To, and browse to that folder you made. Then, when it is done extracting, find the Setup.exe, and click that.

Then, if the install is successful, burn that folder to a DVD. You can then dump the folder.

Do the same thing with the Content file, if that won't install. Make a different folder though, to extract the files into.

This topic has collected enough driftwood since the original poster sorted out the issues he was having.

If you have an identical problem, please do what he did.

If you have a different problem, please start your own topic so that people can help you.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived