• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Data Burn Failure Using Toast 7.0.2 And Lacie D2 Lightscribe Burner

moosgfx

Question

My dvd data burn fails each and every time. It just stops in the middle of the burn and I have to restart the burner.

I am using a Mac G4 dual 1.25 w 2 gig Ram, Mac OS 10.4.5, an external firewire La Cie D2 Lightscribe burner and Toast 7.0.2. I am using TDK DVD-R 16x media. I have repaired my permissions and disconnected my external firewire LaCie 250gig HD. There are no additional devices hooked up to the Mac except a powered subwoofer through a Griffin IMIC via USB.

I have returned the D2 to LaCie 3 times and they it works fine for them and yet they have replaced for me twice. They say that the TDK media is approved for this burner.

I hooked the DVD-R up to an older G3 using Toast 5.2 and it burns files fine.

Any ideas what might be going on and how to solve the problem. Thanks for your help.

6 answers to this question

I suggest downloading and applying Apple's OS 10.4.5 Combined System Update. There often are odd Firewire or USB issues that appear with the incremental system updates. These are fixed by applying the combined update on top of your existing 10.4.5. If that doesn't fix this then I suggest running Apple's Hardware Test that either came on a separate CD or is part of the System install DVD that came with your Mac. Run the extended test.

Thanks for the suggestions. The LaCie tech guys told me to do the Combined 10.05 install and I had done that already.

I performed the Apple Hardware Test and everything checked out OK.

I also removed an old Adaptec SCSII PCI card that I no longer use in the hope that that may be the problem, but I still failed on my next burn attempt.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

I suggest downloading and applying Apple's OS 10.4.5 Combined System Update. There often are odd Firewire or USB issues that appear with the incremental system updates. These are fixed by applying the combined update on top of your existing 10.4.5. If that doesn't fix this then I suggest running Apple's Hardware Test that either came on a separate CD or is part of the System install DVD that came with your Mac. Run the extended test.

Have you installed the OS to your Firewire hard drive? If so, boot from the Firewire drive and try using Toast to burn the DVD from that startup volume. If it works then you know the problem is with the OS installed on your internal hard drive. If it doesn't work then it is a mystery that is somehow related to to Firewire hardware, in my opinion.

Have you installed the OS to your Firewire hard drive? If so, boot from the Firewire drive and try using Toast to burn the DVD from that startup volume. If it works then you know the problem is with the OS installed on your internal hard drive. If it doesn't work then it is a mystery that is somehow related to to Firewire hardware, in my opinion.

Thanks again for your recommendation. I did change my startup disk to my external Firewire HD and attempted to burn the same data and again it failed to write.

When you say "if that doesn't work... somehow related to Firewire hardware" do you mean in the external devices or possibly internally in the MAC?

When I performed the Apple HW Test, I unplugged all my external devices from the MAC because that is what the "read me first" file said to do. Should I try that again with devices plugged in?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

It won't help to plug in any devices for the hardware test. I'm as puzzled as you are about this. You say the drive (and its Firewire cable) work with a different Mac. But it fails to burn DVDs near the midway point when booted from the internal or external drive using different content (and different drives). It's possible you have a batch of defective discs - TDK's have dropped in quality the past year. Have you tried choosing Save as Disc Image from the File menu instead of clicking the burn button and then burning that image file to DVD using the Copy window?

Strange happenings...

I bought some Sony DVD-R discs this weekend thinking that maybe it is a media issue. I burned some data and it failed (froze) about 25% of the way through. 2 hours later my son was playing computer chess and it started burning again. It did not finish the burn though. Every 3 or so hours I went to see if anything had changed and once-in-a-while progress had been made. Finally, overnight the verification process proceeded in much the same way (25% and rest for a few hours,then another 25% etc. till it completed the process this morning.

To me it seems almost as though the DVR loses power or runs out of RAM and then goes into this pause mode.

Does that give any clue as to what might be wrong.

Thanks again for your recommendation. I did change my startup disk to my external Firewire HD and attempted to burn the same data and again it failed to write.

When you say "if that doesn't work... somehow related to Firewire hardware" do you mean in the external devices or possibly internally in the MAC?

When I performed the Apple HW Test, I unplugged all my external devices from the MAC because that is what the "read me first" file said to do. Should I try that again with devices plugged in?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

It won't help to plug in any devices for the hardware test. I'm as puzzled as you are about this. You say the drive (and its Firewire cable) work with a different Mac. But it fails to burn DVDs near the midway point when booted from the internal or external drive using different content (and different drives). It's possible you have a batch of defective discs - TDK's have dropped in quality the past year. Have you tried choosing Save as Disc Image from the File menu instead of clicking the burn button and then burning that image file to DVD using the Copy window?

My dvd data burn fails each and every time. It just stops in the middle of the burn and I have to restart the burner.

I am using a Mac G4 dual 1.25 w 2 gig Ram, Mac OS 10.4.5, an external firewire La Cie D2 Lightscribe burner and Toast 7.0.2. I am using TDK DVD-R 16x media. I have repaired my permissions and disconnected my external firewire LaCie 250gig HD. There are no additional devices hooked up to the Mac except a powered subwoofer through a Griffin IMIC via USB.

I have returned the D2 to LaCie 3 times and they it works fine for them and yet they have replaced for me twice. They say that the TDK media is approved for this burner.

I hooked the DVD-R up to an older G3 using Toast 5.2 and it burns files fine.

Any ideas what might be going on and how to solve the problem. Thanks for your help.

Archived