Paul007

Can see only one session on PC

Question

I'm using Toast 7 on Mac OS Tiger, and burned 2 sessions in Mac & PC format, but can only see the last session on my PC. Both sessions were burned on the same Mac in the same way and within in minutes of each other.

What could be the problem?

Edited by Paul007

10 answers to this question

Are you sure that all the files from both sessions are not together in the one session you see on the PC?

Are you sure that all the files from both sessions are not together in the one session you see on the PC?

Yes, I am sure that only the last recorded session and its one file are visible on my PC. On my Mac both sessions and their respective files can be viewed.

Yes, I am sure that only the last recorded session and its one file are visible on my PC. On my Mac both sessions and their respective files can be viewed.

That's odd. On the PC there should be only one mounted volume but it should contain the contents of all sessions. I don't know why that didn't happen. I'll ask a PC user.

PCs running Windows are totally incapable of reading Mac files - it's just one of those things

I have had CDs that were 'dual standard' (Mac and PC) - printer drivers and so on. Where the Mac could read both sets of data, the PC could only read the Windows part and couldn't even see the Mac files at all (as if they never existed)

btw - PCs running Linux can read just about any file system going :lol:

Windows is supposed to see ISO 9600, tho.

I wonder if something like cdroller (www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (www.isobuster.com) could see the other session ... :huh:

Lynn

Found this online about the Mac Media Tools:

TOPIC

I am using the Apple Media Tool to create Microsoft Windows ISO-9660 formatted CD-ROM discs. However, when I use the media tool converters, I get an error message stating that some of my files have invalid ISO characters. What are the invalid ISO characters?

DISCUSSION

In order for your project to run correctly on an ISO 9660 formatted CD-ROM disc, you need to make sure you do the following:

• File names and extensions should be in all capitals.
  • File name should not exceed eight characters, and extensions three characters.
  • Numbers in file names should be separated from the alpha characters by an underscore. For example MOVIE_1.MOV Characters Not Allowed include:
    • Hypens
    • Spaces
    • Colons
    • Slash
    • Backslash

Windows is supposed to see ISO 9600, tho.

I wonder if something like cdroller (www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (www.isobuster.com) could see the other session ... :huh:

Lynn

Thank you all for your replies. If anyone has an answer that will solve this problem, I'd appreciate seeing it.

In the meantime, I have a workaround.

The problem only exists because Toast 7 Basic doesn't support the ISO 9660 format, and I don't feel I should have to spend $59 for this feature.

So I am sharing my Mac files with my PC, and using the basic Nero application on my PC, that allows burning in the ISO 9660 format. I use less disc space for each session because ISO 9660 backs-up incrementally. Thank you SharePoints and Nero and goodbye Toast.

The Mac and PC format is a funky thing. It writes 2 file systems to the disc at the same time. The mac is smart enough to handle this, but without somehow linking the ISO file systems from each session together, data from the original session will be lost when reading on a PC.

The only way I know of to prevent this is simply to use the ISO format and before writing the 2nd (3rd, 4th and so on) session to the disc, click on the "Select" button in the ISO layout, and from the "session" button at the bottom, choose "Import Session".

This is a little old fashioned, but then again, its a limitation of how PC's read ISO discs. Macs are just a little smarter.

The Mac and PC format is a funky thing. It writes 2 file systems to the disc at the same time. The mac is smart enough to handle this, but without somehow linking the ISO file systems from each session together, data from the original session will be lost when reading on a PC.

The only way I know of to prevent this is simply to use the ISO format and before writing the 2nd (3rd, 4th and so on) session to the disc, click on the "Select" button in the ISO layout, and from the "session" button at the bottom, choose "Import Session".

This is a little old fashioned, but then again, its a limitation of how PC's read ISO discs. Macs are just a little smarter.

Why doesn't Roxio provide ISO 9660 formatting with Toast 7 Basic? Buy some brands of DVD writers and the basic Nero does.

Personally, I'd say this is more a Windoze thing than a Roxio one.

As I said previously, I have seen commercially produced CDs (both application and driver discs) that were for both Mac and PC.

While the Mac happily read all the disc, as far as doze was concerned, the Mac section just didn't exist