• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Help! Copy Function Causes Crash!

leefarber

Question

Using Toast 7.02, everything works fine EXCEPT the COPY function. When I click the COPY tab to copy a CD or DVD, I get the "Spinning Wheel of Death" and I have to force quit.

I've tried deleting preferences, I've tried reverting to 7.0, but nothing works! I still have 6.1.1, and even THAT doesn't work.

Could this be an incompatibility with either 10.4.5 or the latest iTunes? I haven't used the copy function in quite a while, so I can't pinpoint when this problem started.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lee

10 answers to this question

I have 7 new coasters that I made this weekend, trying to copy an audio CD that I'd made last year. Using 7.0.2 and current OS Tiger on a 450mHz G4. New Sony DRX810UL/T and 48x TDK media.

I deleted prefs, fixed permissions.... I tried burning at 48x, 24x, 12x.....

It would hang at different tracks each time; Abort did nothing, so I tried to force-quit Toast and that didn't work either. I had to do a hard re-boots. I also tried burning from disk image - no luck.

I finally succeeded when I switched to a G3 iBook running 6.1.1 and latest OS Tiger.

I'm wondering if Toast 7.0.2 has a problem copying audio CDs at speeds higher than 4x. I've had no problems copying DVD movies at 16x (or DL at 8x) or duping CD data disks at 48x.

If there is a work-around procedure, I'd like to know about it because I don't need anymore coasters.

I have the same trouble as the first two posts in that 7.0.2 hangs with the spinning beach ball when I select copy function with a DVD. Who do we report the bug to?

I'm seeing exactly the same problem. The copy option is completely broken for me. Clicking on copy results in 1-2 minutes of spinning beach ball, every subsequent action means more spinning and usually doesn't even execute the clicked item. I have to force-quit since even the menu bar menus cause Toast to hang.

I'm using a G4 PowerBook with SuperDrive and an external FW DVD burner. Prefs have been deleted, permissions repaired, etc.

I found a few other mentions of similar problems online, but no solutions.

Obviously, I'd like to be able to use this,

joe

I am having exactly the same problem. I am totally unable to copy DVDs. I am trying to do so on an intel iMac. Burning DVDS, and everything else works. However, when I copy an unsecured DVD Toast locks up with a spinning beach ball during the first step of copying the source DVD.

Also, can someone please tell me where Toast stores its temporary files when copying? I have now lost about 6 gigs on my hard drive I would like to recover.

Thanks.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1) If you are using an external drive, dont, the more variables in the system, the harder it is to troubleshoot.

2) If you have not already, try copying a different disc. If the problem only happens with one disc, maybe that disc has a problem.

3) In the Toast preferences, got to the converted items tab and it will have listed there where your temp files are stored. You can also choose to empty that folder automatically at certain times.

Well, the temp files are not in the converted items folder. They are somewhere else on the hard drive, but not there. I checked there and that folder is empty.

Also, I have tried copying three different DVDs with the same result. None will copy; in each case, Toast locks up with a spinning beach ball.

Finally, I am using the internal DVD drive built into the iMac. The machine is 4 weeks old and fully updated.

Toast simply won't let me copy DVDs. Just like others above have stated. Something is going on and there appears to be be no answer or response from Roxio. It is impossible to get tech support from them.

I have the same trouble as the first two posts in that 7.0.2 hangs with the spinning beach ball when I select copy function with a DVD. Who do we report the bug to?

Try booting into the safe boot and see if the problem persists?? I would suggest creating a new test account on the system and test with that. If that works, try using "Cocktail" to clean caches and do a fresh install of Toast and see if that works.

I have 7 new coasters that I made this weekend, trying to copy an audio CD that I'd made last year. Using 7.0.2 and current OS Tiger on a 450mHz G4. New Sony DRX810UL/T and 48x TDK media.

I deleted prefs, fixed permissions.... I tried burning at 48x, 24x, 12x.....

It would hang at different tracks each time; Abort did nothing, so I tried to force-quit Toast and that didn't work either. I had to do a hard re-boots. I also tried burning from disk image - no luck.

I finally succeeded when I switched to a G3 iBook running 6.1.1 and latest OS Tiger.

I'm wondering if Toast 7.0.2 has a problem copying audio CDs at speeds higher than 4x. I've had no problems copying DVD movies at 16x (or DL at 8x) or duping CD data disks at 48x.

If there is a work-around procedure, I'd like to know about it because I don't need anymore coasters.

Archived