"capture" Video Settings

hydrant

Question

Would appreciate assistance, please. Using EMC7.5 and capturing a tape from my Sony DV camera. I captured 60 minute vid with "Video Capture Format" at "General Purpose Editing" and "Quality" at "Best". However, entire resulting file was less than 3 GB in mpg format!! The instruction manual references that output would be in AVI and I would presume much greater filesize. In looking at setting options, I can change "Video Capture Format" to "Show All" and "Quality" to "General Purpose Editing-Best Quality" which describes output as MPEG2. Where is the AVI option? Or, given that I intend to burn file, after editing, using DVD bUilder, is the MPEG2 file output OK? MY intent is to edit for chapters and then copy to HD as an image (ISO) file so I can then get the entire vid on one 4.7 dvd.

Since I do not have a firewire cable avail this weekend, will I notice any quality degradation using usb 2.0? My OS is fast enough. Does firewire vs usb affect quality or just the speed of the OS capturing the incoming vid?

Thank you for any guidance

hydrant

19 answers to this question

Would appreciate assistance, please. Using EMC7.5 and capturing a tape from my Sony DV camera. I captured 60 minute vid with "Video Capture Format" at "General Purpose Editing" and "Quality" at "Best". However, entire resulting file was less than 3 GB in mpg format!! The instruction manual references that output would be in AVI and I would presume much greater filesize. In looking at setting options, I can change "Video Capture Format" to "Show All" and "Quality" to "General Purpose Editing-Best Quality" which describes output as MPEG2. Where is the AVI option? Or, given that I intend to burn file, after editing, using DVD bUilder, is the MPEG2 file output OK? MY intent is to edit for chapters and then copy to HD as an image (ISO) file so I can then get the entire vid on one 4.7 dvd.

Since I do not have a firewire cable avail this weekend, will I notice any quality degradation using usb 2.0? My OS is fast enough. Does firewire vs usb affect quality or just the speed of the OS capturing the incoming vid?

Thank you for any guidance

hydrant

The only way that you are going to capture as an .avi file from your camcorder is via firewire cable. If capturing via USB, the software will see your video camera as a webcam, and the quality of the captured file will be poor.

The only way that you are going to capture as an .avi file from your camcorder is via firewire cable. If capturing via USB, the software will see your video camera as a webcam, and the quality of the captured file will be poor.

Just so I understand, when I connect Monday using firewire, will the avi "option" automatically show up in the software? And I assume the mpeg2 capture that I see now (via usb) is less quality than the (firwire) avi capture, correct?

Thank you

No offense taken. I can only capture as MPEG2 with my Hauppauge card. I thought that capture through the USB connection, with EMC, was MPEG1. That is why I said the quality would be poor.

MPEG2 is good quality, but AVI is better.

To give a progress report...upon everyone's advice, I "captured" the 60 min vid via firewire, resulting in a 11.8GB AVI file. I then moved it into DVD Builder so I could make chapters, themes,a title, etc before burning. However, the file is now 3.85 GB MPG (preumably MPEG2?). Even when I saved it as an iso image file, it still was the reduced 3.85 GB. After burning, the quality is only "fair". I assume Builder automatically converts file to mpg2 which is much smaller file size! I checked "file/settings" to confirm "Best". I had assumed that while editing, the file would remain the larger avi file and then I would convert it to an iso file so I could then burn this larger file on one disc. Am I missing something here? Ever since purchasing EMC 7.5, I've learned from this board about saving a large file as an iso image so it would then burn using Disc Copier to one disc and I have done this succesfully many times. Hopefully this question does not come across as disjointed. How can I retain the higher quality and still do the various "edit" applications? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

So after all the information, let me see if I have this straight: You start by "Capturing" via Firewire so the video captured is the best quality that it can be in reference to the original video on the camcorder. Then you burn the video to an ISO file and DVD Builder to burn a DVD which comes out MPEG2 quality.

All that compared to: Capture the video using a USB connection, then to an ISO file and DVD Builder to a DVD which comes out MPEG 2 again, so it will play in a set top player. BUT, the video is less quality do to capturing it via USB. Is that correct ?

I have also captured video from another DVD using my "Dazzle" Digital Video Creator 150 unit and program (through my DVD player to the Dazzle unit using RCA (Composite) video and audio cables and into my computer and then used that video in Videowave and DVD Builder to burn a DVD (and also saved it as an ISO file during the process) and it comes out looking pretty good to me. I have used the S-Video cable rather than the RCA composite video cable also and I don't really see that much difference in my output, although S-Video is supposed to be much better.

I have read quite a few posts regarding AVI and MPEG2 on this and the older forum and I just keep burning DVD's that seem to come out really well to my eyes. So I guess I have never really seen the big difference that is suggested.

Frank.....

You use DVD Builder to create an ISO file and then use DiscCopier to burn the iso file to a DVD.

If you are capturing from digital camcorder and want to use EMC 7.5 to capture, you have to use a Firewire connection but you can capture to avi or mpeg2 format. Most people feel that avi is a better format for capturing especially if you are planning to edit your video. If you are not planning on doing any editing to your vvideo and just simply burn it to DVD directly then mpeg2 capture should be Ok. When you initially capture to mpeg2, the program compresses the incoming raw video and there is a loss of quality. AVI is almost a direct copy of the raw video. When you edit an mpeg2 file (in Videowave or DVD Builder), when burning to iso or DVD, the mpeg2 file may have to be re-rendered and there can be another loss of quality.

Lightscribe.com has the drivers so you can update them from there. They also have free templates and a utility to darken the burn (takes longer though and apparently not real dark)

Correct on the chapters as I understand it.

One last question, it does not appear that in making Chapters in DVD Builder, I can edit chapter names, have a different thumbnail or move the thumbnail around on the screen....like I can with Titles..correct?

To give a progress report...upon everyone's advice, I "captured" the 60 min vid via firewire, resulting in a 11.8GB AVI file. I then moved it into DVD Builder so I could make chapters, themes,a title, etc before burning. However, the file is now 3.85 GB MPG (preumably MPEG2?). Even when I saved it as an iso image file, it still was the reduced 3.85 GB. After burning, the quality is only "fair". I assume Builder automatically converts file to mpg2 which is much smaller file size! I checked "file/settings" to confirm "Best". I had assumed that while editing, the file would remain the larger avi file and then I would convert it to an iso file so I could then burn this larger file on one disc. Am I missing something here? Ever since purchasing EMC 7.5, I've learned from this board about saving a large file as an iso image so it would then burn using Disc Copier to one disc and I have done this succesfully many times. Hopefully this question does not come across as disjointed. How can I retain the higher quality and still do the various "edit" applications? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

The prodcedure you used is what I use to get my video from my digital camcorder to a DVD. I capture using Firewire to an avi file which for a 60 minute tape should be close to 14GB. I then use Videowave to do all my editing, adding audio, transitions, etc. I only use DVD Builder to create the menu, chapters. The file size you state is about correct since the avi file gets compressed to mpeg2 video but I find the quality to be almost equal to the avi source when "best" quality is selected for output for the DVD.

One last question, it does not appear that in making Chapters in DVD Builder, I can edit chapter names, have a different thumbnail or move the thumbnail around on the screen....like I can with Titles..correct?

Since you noted you have EMC 7.5, you can do part of what you asked. You can change the name of the chapters. You do this in the chapter marking window. Just double click on the chapter panel name showing on the right side of that window, and type in your new chapter name. Just keep in mind that since you cannot re-arrange the chapter menu, keep them short and simple.

For the rest, you can only change the 'theme' used on the chapter menu. Access this from the Theme link on the left side in dvd builder.

You can change the chapter names. In DVD Builder, click on the Mark Chapter icon. If you have created chapters already, they will show up. Double click on the name below the picture, and change the text. Keep the name short, or it will overlap the next chapter name.

You can't change the icon or move the icon around the screen.

You can change the chapter names. In DVD Builder, click on the Mark Chapter icon. If you have created chapters already, they will show up. Double click on the name below the picture, and change the text. Keep the name short, or it will overlap the next chapter name.

You can't change the icon or move the icon around the screen.

Worked great! Thank you both. John

I concur that Bruce and James are correct, however I might disagree with Bruce to the term "POOR". I do agree that AVI capture is better than MPEG2 but I have many captures that have been via USB and ended up with MPEG2 files, that I think are pretty darn good when running through Videowave and DVD builder to get a DVD made.

No offense Bruce. I just don't like the term "poor" regarding MPEG2.

Frank.........

You capture as an .avi file, so that the video you get is "lossless". Now, that .avi is not DVD video compliant, so it won't play in a DVD player. In DVD Builder, when you burn to an ISO file, or burn directly to a DVD, the software encodes that .avi file to mpeg2, which is the standard for DVD movies. It will then play in your set-top DVD player.

I concur that Bruce and James are correct, however I might disagree with Bruce to the term "POOR". I do agree that AVI capture is better than MPEG2 but I have many captures that have been via USB and ended up with MPEG2 files, that I think are pretty darn good when running through Videowave and DVD builder to get a DVD made.

No offense Bruce. I just don't like the term "poor" regarding MPEG2.

Frank.........

No offense taken. I can only capture as MPEG2 with my Hauppauge card. I thought that capture through the USB connection, with EMC, was MPEG1. That is why I said the quality would be poor.

MPEG2 is good quality, but AVI is better.

I understand your first sentence and the hookup with Firewire etc., etc. and have been doing that for some time now Walt. I guess that's not the point I was trying to make. Going straight to MPEG2 without editing is O.K. I understand that too. What I'm not completely understanding is if one goes the AVI method and edits and then burns a DVD it ends up being MPEG2 again so it will play in a DVD player. So if the end result is MPEG2. whats the big difference ? I guess I'm missing something along the way or just pretty dumb :)

Frank.......

So after all the information, let me see if I have this straight: You start by "Capturing" via Firewire so the video captured is the best quality that it can be in reference to the original video on the camcorder. Then you burn the video to an ISO file and DVD Builder to burn a DVD which comes out MPEG2 quality.

All that compared to: Capture the video using a USB connection, then to an ISO file and DVD Builder to a DVD which comes out MPEG 2 again, so it will play in a set top player. BUT, the video is less quality do to capturing it via USB. Is that correct ?

I have also captured video from another DVD using my "Dazzle" Digital Video Creator 150 unit and program (through my DVD player to the Dazzle unit using RCA (Composite) video and audio cables and into my computer and then used that video in Videowave and DVD Builder to burn a DVD (and also saved it as an ISO file during the process) and it comes out looking pretty good to me. I have used the S-Video cable rather than the RCA composite video cable also and I don't really see that much difference in my output, although S-Video is supposed to be much better.

I have read quite a few posts regarding AVI and MPEG2 on this and the older forum and I just keep burning DVD's that seem to come out really well to my eyes. So I guess I have never really seen the big difference that is suggested.

Frank.....

Multiple compressions in data handling Capture to mpg2 = compression 1; burn to disc after edit = compression 2.

I understand your first sentence and the hookup with Firewire etc., etc. and have been doing that for some time now Walt. I guess that's not the point I was trying to make. Going straight to MPEG2 without editing is O.K. I understand that too. What I'm not completely understanding is if one goes the AVI method and edits and then burns a DVD it ends up being MPEG2 again so it will play in a DVD player. So if the end result is MPEG2. whats the big difference ? I guess I'm missing something along the way or just pretty dumb :)

Frank.......

Frank.......

In addition to what Steve says, editing an .avi file is a ton faster than trying to edit an mpeg2 file. Steve is spot on about the multiple compression of the mpeg2, which results in loss of quality.

Actually, you lose quality right away, if you capture as mpeg2, instead of avi.

In addition to what Steve says, editing an .avi file is a ton faster than trying to edit an mpeg2 file. Steve is spot on about the multiple compression of the mpeg2, which results in loss of quality.

Actually, you lose quality right away, if you capture as mpeg2, instead of avi.

Since I initially started this thread, I would like to thank everyone who provided me direction. I understand now the reason to originally "capture" as an avi (which my firewire connection does automatically) to avoid what ultimately would be two compressions (after editing) if I had originally captured to mpeg2. Contrary to one of my earlier responses above, the quality of the final product is great...I had first previewed it on my 53" screen so it may not have looked as good (me being tired and all!). Appreciate the assist. John.

BTW, since I was in need of a second burner I just purchased an LG Lightscribe burner and am pleased with the results...except for finding out that the software is imbedded in Nero Express. Last year I had uninstalled Nero due to pc conflict when I purchased Roxio... but so far OK. A graphic with text took 20 minutes to inscribe at "Best" quality.

Archived