• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Please Help! Can’t Uninstall Emc 7

peawie

Question

I upgraded to EMC 8 and was having issues burning DVD’s for a project that is due on Monday, so I uninstalled and reinstalled EMC 7. It hung during installation of the Content CD, so I started over.

This install was successful, but when I tried to install the update, I got another error message and was unable to continue.

I eventually did a system restore and now when I try to uninstall EMC 7 or the upgrade, I get a Windows Installer Message that says the following:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing package Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.msp in the box below.

I have no clue what to do from here, I tried browsing to the cd but couldn't find a .msp file.

I'm running out of time and would really appreciate some help on this.

Thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

peawie,

I bought this one a few months ago:

AOpen DUW1616L / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW / 8x4x DVD±R DL / DVD Burner/ 3 Face-plate colors and Software Included

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...1644185&CatId=4

I just LOVE it! I was skeptical about the $44 price for a DL, but I have had zero problems with it, it is fast, and has a solid sound and feel to it when it opens and closes. 5 star rating too, so give it a look. Software is nero Express (which I might be using after all of this1) and Power DVD. Both OEM of course. I had no problems using Roxio and it together. (unless you count Roxio not recognizing it a problem :) Seriously, when EMC was up and going well, they worked well together.

peawie,

AOpen DUW1616L / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW / 8x4x DVD±R DL / DVD Burner/ 3 Face-plate colors and Software Included

I just LOVE it! I was skeptical about the $44 price for a DL, but I have had zero problems with it, it is fast, and has a solid sound and feel to it when it opens and closes. 5 star rating too, so give it a look. Software is nero Express (which I might be using after all of this1) and Power DVD. Both OEM of course. I had no problems using Roxio and it together. (unless you count Roxio not recognizing it a problem :huh: Seriously, when EMC was up and going well, they worked well together.

Thanks for the info!

I wish I could help, but I had the same (and more) problems when I installed 8 and then like you, uninstalled it and tried to get 7.5 working again. If your experience turns out to be like mine, you are at the threshold of many days of frustration. I posted my problems last night.

I got that same error message you described too, so at least it's nt an isolated issue e.g. - hardware we have specifically likely not the cause.

It seems to be a REAL problem going from 7.5 to 8 and then back again. I would not recommend anybody uograding unless you absolutely KNOW in advance it is what you really, really want to do. If 7.5 works. leave it be.

The real purpose for my reply is maybe Roxio will see it and realize that they have some issues that need to be addressed. And maybe.. you will realize you are not the only one in this liferaft which will give you some relief!

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this message. Yes, it has been quite an experience. I have combed through this forum over and over again and tried everything I to get this issue resolved.

It looks like I might as well quit whining and reformat my drive.

I'm not going to give up on EMC 8 just yet, but it'll be awhile before I'm ready to try it again.

Having problems like you have referred to is definitely a head ache and is totally frustrating. There are many way to get rid of a persistant problem (i.e. Roziozap. manually removing in the registry. other registry cleaning programs etc.) None of which I suggest, unless you are very familiar with any of them and know exactly what is happening and what you are doing.

For that reason, I would agree when one gets their system in such a mess, it's just better to save all of your personal files (don't forget the ones one rarely thinks about, like your e-mail address book, your favorite web sites etc.) and then using your original operating system disk or your restore disks to original condition, re-format the HD and get back to normal. I personally like doing a clean install using the original operating system disk as opposed to restoring as there is so much crap on the system that takes time to get rid of again.

This way is far less frustrating than fighting your problems for a long time. One thing I also suggest is what others have said many times: If it ain't broke "DON'T FIX IT". And that goes for Rozio's program as well. If 7 or 7.5 or 8 is doing a good job for you keep using it unless there is something that your particular program won't do and you need it badly. And if you have a problem with one of the versions, post your problem completely on this forum and you will be surprised how many people are here to help and solve what ever the problem is. And do that BEFORE you remove, re-install and all that mess !!

Cheers

Frank..........

Having problems like you have referred to is definitely a head ache and is totally frustrating. There are many way to get rid of a persistant problem (i.e. Roziozap. manually removing in the registry. other registry cleaning programs etc.) None of which I suggest, unless you are very familiar with any of them and know exactly what is happening and what you are doing.

For that reason, I would agree when one gets their system in such a mess, it's just better to save all of your personal files (don't forget the ones one rarely thinks about, like your e-mail address book, your favorite web sites etc.) and then using your original operating system disk or your restore disks to original condition, re-format the HD and get back to normal. I personally like doing a clean install using the original operating system disk as opposed to restoring as there is so much crap on the system that takes time to get rid of again.

This way is far less frustrating than fighting your problems for a long time. One thing I also suggest is what others have said many times: If it ain't broke "DON'T FIX IT". And that goes for Rozio's program as well. If 7 or 7.5 or 8 is doing a good job for you keep using it unless there is something that your particular program won't do and you need it badly. And if you have a problem with one of the versions, post your problem completely on this forum and you will be surprised how many people are here to help and solve what ever the problem is. And do that BEFORE you remove, re-install and all that mess !!

Cheers

Frank..........

Frank,

I think everything you said here, and I mean EVERYTHING is EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT advice. I am going to take your post and have it engraved on the tombstone of my old hard drive when I yank it out and upgrade.

One thing you should also mention, is to consider getting an external hard drive to back up easier before you throw out the baby and the bathwater in a clean install. I know I was daunted by it when I first thought about getting one, but it was so easy I was floored. And you can get all set up w/ a Maxtor 160 GB, 133 ATA 8 mg hard drive and external storage case for around $80 at online store TigerDirect, which is nothing compared to all the CD's or DVD's one might go through to back up important files the old way. Get 250 GB and case for around $110. Oh, and I have to say I just love my MNSSCOOL external 3 1/2" case, I think it was around $26. I now have three of them. Comes w/ software, USB2 and power cables.

If I had listened to your advice a month ago, I could have done 4 clean installs by now w/ all the time and frustration I have been in, and I still have the problems. Not just Roxio, but with CODECS and other programs that seem to interfere. (Nero, which I removed before Christmas is still sticking his (*&(#&$ nose in my computer fun time, and I did all the cleanup tools they have too) Plus, it's like moving into a new house...you get rid of a whole bunch of crap that does nothing but get in the way.

Thanks Frank, that's a great post!

Frank,

I think everything you said here, and I mean EVERYTHING is EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT advice. I am going to take your post and have it engraved on the tombstone of my old hard drive when I yank it out and upgrade.

One thing you should also mention, is to consider getting an external hard drive to back up easier before you throw out the baby and the bathwater in a clean install. I know I was daunted by it when I first thought about getting one, but it was so easy I was floored. And you can get all set up w/ a Maxtor 160 GB, 133 ATA 8 mg hard drive and external storage case for around $80 at online store TigerDirect, which is nothing compared to all the CD's or DVD's one might go through to back up important files the old way. Get 250 GB and case for around $110. Oh, and I have to say I just love my MNSSCOOL external 3 1/2" case, I think it was around $26. I now have three of them. Comes w/ software, USB2 and power cables.

If I had listened to your advice a month ago, I could have done 4 clean installs by now w/ all the time and frustration I have been in, and I still have the problems. Not just Roxio, but with CODECS and other programs that seem to interfere. (Nero, which I removed before Christmas is still sticking his (*&(#&$ nose in my computer fun time, and I did all the cleanup tools they have too) Plus, it's like moving into a new house...you get rid of a whole bunch of crap that does nothing but get in the way.

Thanks Frank, that's a great post!

Thanks to both of you for replying. I really do appreciate the advice and have printed both of your responses.

After all I have been through this week, I will definitely think long and hard before putting myself in this position again. I did run RoxioZap and edits in the Registry at some time during this ordeal, but was probably brain dead at the time from to little sleep to do everything in the correct sequence.

An external drive is definitely going to be one of my next purchases.

Also, I am thinking about purchasing a new burner would like to know what you would suggest.

Thanks again for being here.

Thanks to both of you for replying. I really do appreciate the advice and have printed both of your responses.

After all I have been through this week, I will definitely think long and hard before putting myself in this position again. I did run RoxioZap and edits in the Registry at some time during this ordeal, but was probably brain dead at the time from to little sleep to do everything in the correct sequence.

Also, I am thinking about purchasing a new burner would like to know what you would suggest.

peawie,

I just LOVE it! I was skeptical about the $44 price for a DL, but I have had zero problems with it, it is fast, and has a solid sound and feel to it when it opens and closes. 5 star rating too, so give it a look. Software is nero Express (which I might be using after all of this1) and Power DVD. Both OEM of course. I had no problems using Roxio and it together. (unless you count Roxio not recognizing it a problem :) Seriously, when EMC was up and going well, they worked well together.

peawie,

I just LOVE it! I was skeptical about the $44 price for a DL, but I have had zero problems with it, it is fast, and has a solid sound and feel to it when it opens and closes. 5 star rating too, so give it a look. Software is nero Express (which I might be using after all of this1) and Power DVD. Both OEM of course. I had no problems using Roxio and it together. (unless you count Roxio not recognizing it a problem :huh: Seriously, when EMC was up and going well, they worked well together.

Archived