• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Mydvd Hangs During Encoding

aninoquisi

Question

When I try to use MyDVD 8 to create a disc, it gets hung up right after I hit the Burn button. The "Burn Project" dialog comes up, but the progress indicators never budge beyond 0%. When I check the Windows task manager, I can see that VideoWave8 is not using any CPU time. I have let it sit there for over 2 hours with no change.

Oddly, I can hit the Cancel button on the Burn Project dialog and return to MyDVD.

I have tried everything I can think of: using software rendering instead of hardware rendering, turning off the hardware acceleration used by the system to varying degrees, trying different screen resolutions, turning off anti-virus auto protection... nothing makes the least bit of difference -- the result is always exactly the same.

It's a bit strange, because I can burn a disc successfully using the Disc Copier application (in compilation mode).

I really thought that when I ran across the suggestion (in this forum) to turn off the virus protection while MyDVD was running, I was on to something because I hadn't thought of that. But of course that didn't make any difference.

My system is a Pentium 4, 2GHz, with 1 GB of memory, running XP SP2 with all the latest Windows updates. The video card is an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, with 128 MB of memory. The burner is an HP 635i.

I bought the video card specifically because it met the requirements listed on the Roxio site for using MyDVD 8. The card has support for DirectX 9.

I have tried creating a very basic project also, with just one movie, and no sound on the menu. Again, the results were the same.

I have posted a message to Roxio support, but they haven't seen fit to get back to me yet.

Has anyone encountered this particular problem? Is there a workaround? I downloaded the so-called "hotfix" that I saw mentioned here and on the Roxio site, but I haven't given that a try yet because of some of the comments that I've seen posted here... I'd hate to muck things up to where I can't even burn a DVD using the Disc Copier application.

--

Mark Mears

2 answers to this question

When I try to use MyDVD 8 to create a disc, it gets hung up right after I hit the Burn button. The "Burn Project" dialog comes up, but the progress indicators never budge beyond 0%. When I check the Windows task manager, I can see that VideoWave8 is not using any CPU time. I have let it sit there for over 2 hours with no change.

Oddly, I can hit the Cancel button on the Burn Project dialog and return to MyDVD.

I have tried everything I can think of: using software rendering instead of hardware rendering, turning off the hardware acceleration used by the system to varying degrees, trying different screen resolutions, turning off anti-virus auto protection... nothing makes the least bit of difference -- the result is always exactly the same.

It's a bit strange, because I can burn a disc successfully using the Disc Copier application (in compilation mode).

I really thought that when I ran across the suggestion (in this forum) to turn off the virus protection while MyDVD was running, I was on to something because I hadn't thought of that. But of course that didn't make any difference.

My system is a Pentium 4, 2GHz, with 1 GB of memory, running XP SP2 with all the latest Windows updates. The video card is an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, with 128 MB of memory. The burner is an HP 635i.

I bought the video card specifically because it met the requirements listed on the Roxio site for using MyDVD 8. The card has support for DirectX 9.

I have tried creating a very basic project also, with just one movie, and no sound on the menu. Again, the results were the same.

I have posted a message to Roxio support, but they haven't seen fit to get back to me yet.

Has anyone encountered this particular problem? Is there a workaround? I downloaded the so-called "hotfix" that I saw mentioned here and on the Roxio site, but I haven't given that a try yet because of some of the comments that I've seen posted here... I'd hate to muck things up to where I can't even burn a DVD using the Disc Copier application.

--

Mark Mears

Have you tried saving to an image file (ISO)? It's more likely to work than burning directly to disc.

Archived