• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

EMC 10 Sees Incorrect DVD Drive Type

nuie

Question

Hi-

Win XP Pro fully patched and updated, Dell Dimension 9200 (aka XPS 410), 2GB RAM. I have two DVD R/W drives. One of them is a Sony. All other programs see it correctly as a Sony DVD R/W drive. EMC 10 says it is a Sony CD R/W drive and will not let me play or burn DVDs in the drive. Any ideas? I am going to install the EMC 10 update just as soon as the almost one gig "patch" complete the download. I tried the PXengine fix. Didn't do a thing to correct the problem.

-=SB

12 answers to this question

I think I'll try that. I just installed the EMC 10 patch and it still sees it as just a CD drive. Thanks for the tip.

nuie,

I would like to see what device manager says.

To identify your drive/s in XP. Right click my computer and click properties. The system properties window opens, click the Hardware tab and then click device manager. The Device Manager Window opens, from the top view, make sure a dot is next to view devices by type. Click the + next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives, post what it reads?

I would uninstall the IDE channel the drives are connected too and reboot. Windows will detect the IDE channel and the drives at boot and install the MS drivers.

cd

Hi Folks-

Thanks for all the feedback and tips. Here is the strange thing... If I open EMC Suite Home it shows the drive as a Sony CD drive. However, if I open Copy and Convert it now shows the Sony correctly as a DVD RW drive. I will pop a DVD in and then view using EMC Home and see what it shows. Stand by...

-=Nuie

In Device manager it shows Sony CDRWDVDCRX310S. If I then select properties for the drive it is identified as a Sony CDRWDVDCRX310S, Device Type: DVD/CD-ROM drives. If I place a DVD in the drive and try to view in EMC Home it now spins up the disk and shows it as a DVD, although the drive is still identified as a Sony CD drive. Oh, well, at least it is working now. Thanks for the help. If you have any other suggestions on how to get EMC to actually show my drive correctly, it would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and how exactly do I go about deleting an IDE channel? I have uninstalled the drive in device manager and allowed XP to reinstall in on reboot. Is this what you are referring to ? Thanks!

In Device manager it shows Sony CDRWDVDCRX310S. If I then select properties for the drive it is identified as a Sony CDRWDVDCRX310S, Device Type: DVD/CD-ROM drives. If I place a DVD in the drive and try to view in EMC Home it now spins up the disk and shows it as a DVD, although the drive is still identified as a Sony CD drive. Oh, well, at least it is working now. Thanks for the help. If you have any other suggestions on how to get EMC to actually show my drive correctly, it would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and how exactly do I go about deleting an IDE channel? I have uninstalled the drive in device manager and allowed XP to reinstall in on reboot. Is this what you are referring to ? Thanks!

The Sony CDRWDVDCRX310S is not a DVD Burner! It is a CD/RW Burner and a DVD Rom Player.

cd

Hi-

Win XP Pro fully patched and updated, Dell Dimension 9200 (aka XPS 410), 2GB RAM. I have two DVD R/W drives. One of them is a Sony. All other programs see it correctly as a Sony DVD R/W drive. EMC 10 says it is a Sony CD R/W drive and will not let me play or burn DVDs in the drive. Any ideas? I am going to install the EMC 10 update just as soon as the almost one gig "patch" complete the download. I tried the PXengine fix. Didn't do a thing to correct the problem.

-=SB

Do you have any virtual drives installed or programs such as Alcohol 120%? Drive emulators can cause problems like you're seeing.

Hi Folks-

My apologies about the DVD RW. Yes, I just looked it up on the Sony site and it is indeed a CD RW and DVD ROM. However, this is a newly configured customized system from Dell and the Dell specs list the drive as being a DVD RW which is what I had ordered (I double-checked my order form submitted through the university). Mystery solved. Sorry for the trouble and thanks again for the help.

-=Nuie

P.S.- Yes, Dell will be receiving a phone call about this.

Archived