Missing Cd/rw Drive

kmulkey1

Question

8 answers to this question

Probably an XP thing

Check the drive Properties in Device Manager (Win-Pause, Hardware tab, /device Manager, DVD/CD-ROM drives)

If it is showing an error code, 10, 39, etc., delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
  2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
  3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
  4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
  5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
  6. Expand the "Control" Key
  7. Expand the "Class" Key
  8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
  10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
  11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

Sorry to but in .

I had exactly this same problem after reinstalling EMC7.5 and I have followed your instructions to the letter.

I was amazed to find both my drives have returned immediately. I have been playing about for 2 full days trying to sort it out. So I am extremely grateful for your advice

Again, appologies for breaking in to your thread.

Jim.

Did you remove the drive in Device Manager? Have you updated that drive to the latest firmware? What brand and model number is your drive?

Yes, I removed the drive and updated the CD burner firmware. It's a Dell laptop and the drive is an LG GCC-4241.

Everything worked fine before the uninstall and reinstall and since Windows Media sees the drive fine and Drag to Disc works, it must be something in Creator Classic, yes?

Just for grins disable Drag to Disc,reboot and try it again.You're not trying this with a formatted D2D disc in the tray are you?The only thing that will recognize it is D2D.Drag to Disc has a funny way of playing strange tricks on systems drives.Stop it from loading at boot and try again.

Just for grins disable Drag to Disc,reboot and try it again.You're not trying this with a formatted D2D disc in the tray are you?The only thing that will recognize it is D2D.Drag to Disc has a funny way of playing strange tricks on systems drives.Stop it from loading at boot and try again.

If you have XP, remove 7 again and go back in restore and restore your system on the date you removed 7 (I only had a restore point of the date I reinstalled 7 and this still worked.) After your system reboots, reinstall 7 using the "Custom" install. Do not "X" out anything. Run it and see if this works. It did for me.

I recently uninstalled and then reinstalled EMC 7. Now, when I run the disc and device utility, nothing shows up in the window. If I run Creator Classic and drag files to the burn window, the "Burn" button is grayed out. How do I fix this?

Probably an XP thing

Check the drive Properties in Device Manager (Win-Pause, Hardware tab, /device Manager, DVD/CD-ROM drives)

If it is showing an error code, 10, 39, etc., delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
  2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
  3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
  4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
  5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
  6. Expand the "Control" Key
  7. Expand the "Class" Key
  8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
  10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
  11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

Thanks but this didn't work. I did everything you suggested but the window is still blank when I click on disc and device utility. The weird thing is, Drag to Disc works, My Computer shows the drive and Windows Media Player also works, as far as burning discs. It's only when I try to use Creator Classic to burn a CD.

Thanks but this didn't work. I did everything you suggested but the window is still blank when I click on disc and device utility. The weird thing is, Drag to Disc works, My Computer shows the drive and Windows Media Player also works, as far as burning discs. It's only when I try to use Creator Classic to burn a CD.

Did you remove the drive in Device Manager? Have you updated that drive to the latest firmware? What brand and model number is your drive?

Archived