• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Creator Classic Audio Codec Error

jukebox_john

Question

I cannot create an audio CD using Creator Classic 7.5. I click on Audio CD. When I go to a folder with wav files, the files do not appear. If I go directly to the music folder and try to drag the wav file to the "Audio CD Project" window, I get the following message "Audio Codec Library returned an error". The wav files were created with the Roxio "Capture" program and will play with Windows Media Player.

Anybody have a solution?

Thanks

8 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure that's actually what I said wasn't it Walt ? If you just want to burn a CD with wav files on it O.K. and it will have all file extensions as WAV but won't play in an audio CD player. They will play in WMP however. And I think I said that all Audio files have the extension of "CDA". When I burn an AUDIO CD using either my 7.1 or my 7.5 version of EMC, I get a disk that I can play in any CD player. And 7.1 or 7.5 will convert wav files to cda files automatically during the process and closes the disk. Otherwise it wouldn't play in a CD player if the disk has not been closed.

I think maybe that the OP knows what is being suggested and knows what he is doing all the way with his old computer, but his problem may be with the new Gateway "Media Center"operating system as opposed to XP. Just a guess as I'm pretty sure that EMC is not the problem. The fact that he has problems opening up other programs in EMC suggests to me that it has something to do with Media Center also. I'm not familiar with Media Center O.S. so I can't offer any suggestion there.

There will be others on the forum John that are familiar with Media Center and can probably help you if that is the problem. Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful in regards to Media Center.

Frank...........

Sorry Frank, you are right. :huh: Must have been a problem with "my interface". I'll delete my post :)

No problem Walt. And no need to delete your post. I thought I had all my eggs in the basket but there are many times when I don't. I guess I just lucked out this time :huh:

What I am still wondering however is "Jutebox" saying "When I go to a folder with WAV files, the files do not appear". As far as I know, when you go to a folder that contains WAV files (or MP3 files I think :) ) and drag them into the lower screen to be burned as a CDA project, it does just that. He did say he was using Creator Classic 7.5 but also said when he went directly to the "Music" folder he gets the error message. What's the difference between his folder that contains the WAV files and the "Music" folder ???

Do you suppose there is a difference in the Media Center O.S. and XP that keeps music files in a propritory place, and a folder that you make on your own ??

This making a CDA disk is so simple there must be something we are missing.

Frank............

I think I have this right,There is no such thing as an actual .cda format.All the extension is is a tracker that points to a place on the disc where the music resides.This is a standard for audio cd's.So the songs aren't actually cda format.In reality they are wav files,I believe,that are just pointed to by the cda file.This is why you can't copy a cda file from an audio cd to your hard disc and get it to play,the disc has to be ripped.

As to why it doesn't work I've gotta believe there may be some problem with the installation or a software conflict like Frank says.If it works on the other machine the problem has to be machine specific.Wav files are a common part of Windows system sounds.Maybe do a search for some other wav files on the system and see if you can add them for a test.

I'm thinking an uninstall/reinstall may be in order to solve the problem of EMC not recognizing .WAV files.

As for .CDA, there is no "file extension" on the CD. As was said, an Audio CD has tracks. Windows wants to be able to show you "something" when you look at an Audio CD in Windows Explorer, so it "invents" the .CDA extension (which stands for CD Audio) and gives the "Track0x" name for each track. Beyond that, all it's showing you is how many tracks are on the disc. I doubt what it's showing is even "pointing" to anything except where the TOC of the disc says there is another track. The TOC of an audio CD doesn't even have the name of the track in it, just the start block and the length of the track. And yes, the format of the data is essentially that of the .WAV file, but the bytes are interleaved on the disc so that they aren't in contiguous blocks. That is, the block you're hearing now, and the next block aren't necessarily next to each other on the disc. They're spread out so that if there's a bit of dust or a fingerprint, the music can generally be reconstructed without any noticeable audio interruption.

I think I have this right,There is no such thing as an actual .cda format.All the extension is is a tracker that points to a place on the disc where the music resides.This is a standard for audio cd's.So the songs aren't actually cda format.In reality they are wav files,I believe,that are just pointed to by the cda file.This is why you can't copy a cda file from an audio cd to your hard disc and get it to play,the disc has to be ripped.

As to why it doesn't work I've gotta believe there may be some problem with the installation or a software conflict like Frank says.If it works on the other machine the problem has to be machine specific.Wav files are a common part of Windows system sounds.Maybe do a search for some other wav files on the system and see if you can add them for a test.

Not quite sure John if what you want to make is a "AUDIO CD". An audio CD to me is one that has all of the music files with a "CDA" extension (i.e. Track01.cda, Track02.cda etc.). And music files that are "Wave" files have the extension of "Name.WAV". If you just want to burn a CD that has all of your WAV files on it, then that's fine, but if you want to create an "audio" CD from all your WAV files, then you will have to change the WAV files to CDA. I used to do that quite often with my "Easy CD Creator 5 Platium version" program, as it had an option to make an "Audio" CD from "Wav" files. It also had the option to convert CDA files to WAV files. That was a great program, but later versions just jkept getting better.

Frank.............

thanks for your response.

I have this program installed on two of my computers. It works well on one but not on the other. The computer on which I'm having difficulty is a brand new Gateway Media Center (!) computer. Here's how it works on the other computer (an older Compaq).

I open Creator Classic

I click on "Audio CD" in the "Common Projects" area

I click on the folder which contains the tracks I want in the left side of the "Select Sorce" area

The folder contents appear in the right section of the "Select Source" area

I click and drag the tracks I want into the "Audio CD Project" area at the bottom of the Creator Classic window

I click on the "Burn" icon and a CD is created.

The files that I'm dragging are "Wave Sound" files according to the information in the right side of the "Select Source" area.

I've owned one version or another of Roxio for years and I've always been able to create audio CD's using wav files.

I think the fault lies in the Audio codec (whatever that is).

More info. When I click on "Tools" on the top on Creator Classic and click on "Options" in the pop up menu, Creator Classic close and I get one of those Windows messages about Creator Classic has encountered a problem...etc.

This computer just doesn't like Roxio!

BTW

Sound Editor and several other programs won't even open on the new computer. Roxio Creator (all versions past and present on any computer) is the program I've probably had the most difficulty with of any program. Alos the hardest to find solutions for.

I'm pretty sure that's actually what I said wasn't it Walt ? If you just want to burn a CD with wav files on it O.K. and it will have all file extensions as WAV but won't play in an audio CD player. They will play in WMP however. And I think I said that all Audio files have the extension of "CDA". When I burn an AUDIO CD using either my 7.1 or my 7.5 version of EMC, I get a disk that I can play in any CD player. And 7.1 or 7.5 will convert wav files to cda files automatically during the process and closes the disk. Otherwise it wouldn't play in a CD player if the disk has not been closed.

I think maybe that the OP knows what is being suggested and knows what he is doing all the way with his old computer, but his problem may be with the new Gateway "Media Center"operating system as opposed to XP. Just a guess as I'm pretty sure that EMC is not the problem. The fact that he has problems opening up other programs in EMC suggests to me that it has something to do with Media Center also. I'm not familiar with Media Center O.S. so I can't offer any suggestion there.

There will be others on the forum John that are familiar with Media Center and can probably help you if that is the problem. Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful in regards to Media Center.

Frank...........

Frank, your information is not quite correct. When you create a proper audio file all your files on the CD will have the extension CDA. These files are actually not real audio files but only "pointers" to where the actaul audio is located on the CD. If you examine any audio CD you will see nothing but CDA files and they are all 1Kb in length. Simply copying the WAV files to a CD just creates a data CD which I don't think will play on any CD player.

Walt, I think that he is saying that he is using wav files to make the audio CD. I don't think he is saying that they show as wav files on the CD.

It works on the one computer, but the Gateway must have some audio program that isn't getting along with Roxio. If that is the case, the Gateway is the problem, not Roxio.

Archived