• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Mpeg 4?

dunroamin1

Question

Hello All

I have ventured into downloading my first album from the net using Itunes.

It works great in that you can burn a CD etc using their software, my problem comes in that their file format is .m4p

I was hoping to use one of the tracks on a Photo presentation but Roxio at the moment cannot see it.

Questions....

Can Roxio settings be changed to get around this?

If not any ideas of how I can somehow get around the problem?

Thanks in advance

16 answers to this question

Hi Paul

Have tried this to no avail. The files keep coming up that they are protected any software I have does not appear to see the files as valid ( on trying to copy them to mp3)

Though you did give me a thought and I have used a package from Creative Labs which records "What it hears" to disk in any format you like. It is a bit fiddly to get the start and end of the track correct but it appears to work.

I suppose the software is actinglike a microphone and if you play a track it records

Thanks

That'll work. Still, any music I've bought online I've been able to burn to cd using their software then rip it to my drive as an mp3. It's always worked. I've never tried this with an mp4 but am pretty sure others have. Maybe one of them can give you a suggestion.

Yep...I am in the UK!

It probably is the same here legally with download music (I have a lot to learn on this matter!)

I just find it a bit of an issue (trying to be polite) that I have purchased this music for my use, but cannot use it outside of the proprietery software of Itunes that easily.

There is "fair use" when it comes to music, but DRM is pretty much ending that. And, there is NO "fair use", when it comes to the movie industry.

Any idea how this works in England? Cotwalds is in the signature so I thought that the poster might be there.

I can also read and assumed he "Cotwalds" might be there.

It works the same way in the UK as it does in the US. They Apple are bound by the DRM protection, in companies allowing them to distribute there music. Itunes might have to withdraw from France because of the new anti DRM law France is trying to pass! Have you read the agreement? It is very easy to understand!

I have a question why would people buy a billion downloads of this crap? It seems that no one either reads or comprehends what the agreement says. You the sap that spent your money legally own nothing!

cdanteek

Hi Paul

Have tried this to no avail. The files keep coming up that they are protected any software I have does not appear to see the files as valid ( on trying to copy them to mp3)

Though you did give me a thought and I have used a package from Creative Labs which records "What it hears" to disk in any format you like. It is a bit fiddly to get the start and end of the track correct but it appears to work.

I suppose the software is actinglike a microphone and if you play a track it records

Thanks

For a explanation I will point you here, post #4 http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=167771

cdanteek

Thanks for the explanation. I was not sure that what you had posted was applicable to outside the US.

Also, I may not own the music but I can make 7 to 10 copies for my own use, of course depending by the license. Let's see, I can play music on my main system, the computer, the system in my bedroom (actually 2), one in the spare bedroom, the one in my bathroom, my car, and one portable system. That's more than enough. I don't sell, give away, or otherwise use the music for profit or gain.

Thank goodness I do not need to pay for a license to have other people listen to that music in my house ! :)

BTW, I have licensed exactly three pieces of music from on-line stores. I had to because of scratches on an LP I was capturing has a couple of cuts where i need to replace the cut to have a good sounding complete copy of an LP. Oops did I break the law there? Should I have tried to go out and find a complete new LP for these 60's LPs?

I can also read and assumed he "Cotwalds" might be there.

It works the same way in the UK as it does in the US. They Apple are bound by the DRM protection, in companies allowing them to distribute there music. Itunes might have to withdraw from France because of the new anti DRM law France is trying to pass! Have you read the agreement? It is very easy to understand!

I have a question why would people buy a billion downloads of this crap? It seems that no one either reads or comprehends what the agreement says. You the sap that spent your money legally own nothing!

cdanteek

Take the cd you burned with i-tunes and place it into the computer. Open up Windows Media Player and make sure the rip options are set to "windows media lossless" and select a location for the music to be ripped to. Select the drive where the cd is located and click on the "Rip" tab on the top and it will rip the music to the hardrive in a format that can be used by Roxio.

I've purchased many tunes from ITunes and as everyone says the thing to do is burn them to a cd using ITunes.Once you have them as an Audio CD you can do just about anything with them.The mp4 is just a proprietary Apple format and you've got to use ITunes to burn the cd.

I've purchased many tunes from ITunes and as everyone says the thing to do is burn them to a cd using ITunes.Once you have them as an Audio CD you can do just about anything with them.The mp4 is just a proprietary Apple format and you've got to use ITunes to burn the cd.

It seems that for some, this doesn't work and I don't know why. I've gotten a few pm's from posters who siply can't do it. Maybe they're doing it wrong.

Hello All

I have ventured into downloading my first album from the net using Itunes.

It works great in that you can burn a CD etc using their software, my problem comes in that their file format is .m4p

I was hoping to use one of the tracks on a Photo presentation but Roxio at the moment cannot see it.

Questions....

Can Roxio settings be changed to get around this?

If not any ideas of how I can somehow get around the problem?

Thanks in advance

Rip your cd to your hard drive as an mp3 and use that for your photo presentation.

Any idea how this works in England? Cotwalds is in the signature so I thought that the poster might be there.

That's the problem when you buy DRM downloaded music. You don't own anything and if you read the license agreement. They want to make you a criminal in altering or changing the way you want to use it.

Many digital music services employ digital rights management (DRM) — also known as "copy protection" — that prevents you from doing things like using the portable player of your choice or creating remixes. Forget about breaking the DRM to make traditional uses like CD burning and so forth. Breaking the DRM or distributing the tools to break DRM may expose you to liability under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) even if you're not making any illegal uses.

Before buying DRM-crippled music from any service,be sure you understand how the service might limit your ability to make lawful use of the music you purchase.

You own the media on which the Apple Software is recorded but

Apple and/or Apple's licensor(s) retain ownership of the Apple Software itself.

If you are uncertain about your right to copy or permit access to any material you should contact your legal advisor.

Software License Information

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

cdanteek

Thanks for all your reply's

I have yet had chance to try them as life is quite busy ( builders in to convert our garage to a bedroom and bathroom for eldest son).

Will try soon, but I must admit considering youn have bought the tracks in question it does seem a long way around if you want to use them other than CD's ( Iknow this may sound a bit naive!)

Yep...I am in the UK!

It probably is the same here legally with download music (I have a lot to learn on this matter!)

I just find it a bit of an issue (trying to be polite) that I have purchased this music for my use, but cannot use it outside of the proprietery software of Itunes that easily.

Will try soon, but I must admit considering youn have bought the tracks in question it does seem a long way around if you want to use them other than CD's ( Iknow this may sound a bit naive!)

That's the problem when you buy DRM downloaded music. You don't own anything and if you read the license agreement. They want to make you a criminal in altering or changing the way you want to use it.

Many digital music services employ digital rights management (DRM) — also known as "copy protection" — that prevents you from doing things like using the portable player of your choice or creating remixes. Forget about breaking the DRM to make traditional uses like CD burning and so forth. Breaking the DRM or distributing the tools to break DRM may expose you to liability under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) even if you're not making any illegal uses.

Before buying DRM-crippled music from any service,be sure you understand how the service might limit your ability to make lawful use of the music you purchase.

You own the media on which the Apple Software is recorded but

Apple and/or Apple's licensor(s) retain ownership of the Apple Software itself.

If you are uncertain about your right to copy or permit access to any material you should contact your legal advisor.

Software License Information

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

cdanteek

Rip your cd to your hard drive as an mp3 and use that for your photo presentation.

Hi Paul

Thanks

Archived