Burning problems - "encoding error"

Chris G

Question

I am trying to burn my first slideshow with music to DVD - I'm having problems in that as soon as I click burn a message co,mres up saying Encoding error. Is this possibly a problem with the audio files being encrypted? I read something in thge User Guide about being unable to burn certain audio tracks that carry a protection - does anyone know how such files can be identified beforehand?

The DVD disc is OK as it was the one supplied with the software

11 answers to this question

Encryption is not the problem with audio files. Files purchased from an on line store such as ITunes are protected by DRM so they cannot be used in VideoWave directly. You are using VideoWave to make your slide show - aren't you? Some other files that are mp3 have encoding that VideoWave doesn't like. The way to solve that issue is to put the files into Sound Editor and export them as wav files.

Do not use the slide show assistants to make a slide show unless you are really familiar with the program. Problems with those Assistants are hard to diagnose.

Since your problem is immediate, there may be hardware issues. Please post your hardware spec especially anything regarding your video card/chip.

Make a small project. Open Video Wave, go to the top menu and select tools, options and put a dot near software. Add some of your images and transitions. Add one of those converted mp3 files. Save the project and then output it as a mpg for DVD file, best quality using the film reel icon above the preview screen. The project should encode. If there is a problem at that point, I would suggest a bad install or not enough system resources. If the project encodes for a time and then stops, look at the time it stopped and see what you put into that time frame. It could be anything like a bad timing around a transition.

Remember transitions before and after an image take the transition duration away from the display if you have a image that is supposed to display for 3 second and a transition before and after the image of 1 second each, then the display of the image will be 2 seconds. You can see a short image display with longer transitions will give you problems.

If trying what I suggest above and you cannot find the problem, you may have a bad install. Do a Windows Control Panel, add or remove programs and do a repair. Keep the disc handy in case the program asks for it or know where it is on your hard drive.

Make sure that the computer has no malware, the hard drive is defragged and has plenty of space. Turn off the internet and your anti-virus when you do the repair.

This link may be helpful.

Hi Steve

I followed the link - and the instructions to the word.

When I tried to burn to an image file as you suggest, the normalisation of the audio went fine to 100% - but as soon as the movie encoding started at 2% the message came up again "8004520C Encoding error"

Hi Steve

I followed the link - and the instructions to the word.

When I tried to burn to an image file as you suggest, the normalisation of the audio went fine to 100% - but as soon as the movie encoding started at 2% the message came up again "8004520C Encoding error"

Try turning off the normalization. I remember that some people had the same type of problem and that cured it. I have no idea why. :unsure:

I've already tried that - I guess I've tried everything now.

Two things - firstly, can you please explain what defragging the hard drive means?

Also, I keep getting a message box come up stating "Virtual Memory minium too low - Windows is increasing it"

Would that be a factor?

I've already tried that - I guess I've tried everything now.

Two things - firstly, can you please explain what defragging the hard drive means?

Also, I keep getting a message box come up stating "Virtual Memory minium too low - Windows is increasing it"

Would that be a factor?

Defragging a disc is a maintenance step that should be done monthly or so. When you add anything to your hard drive, Windows installs part of it to the first open area on the disc. If there is not enough space then it goes to the second and writes some there. It continues until the entire file or program is put on the hard drive. It is a fragmented file/ program/ etc. Defragmenting the hard drive tries to put all those sections together. The programs open and run faster since there is less searching of the hard drive.

Go to "My Computer" open, select your hard drive, and right click on it. First do the clean up, then do the defrag. If your hard drive has a lot of old files and is badly fragmented, it could take several hours to do this.

Yes, if virtual memory is too low, it will cause problems as will other system settings.

R click on My Computer and select properties, advanced, under performance, select setting. In the first tab "visual performance" select adjust for best performance, In the second tab, "advanced", make sure that programs is selected for the first two options and then click on virtual memory "change".

Select the C: drive only from the list and under Custom size, enter the page file size in Megabytes, using the same size for Initial and Maximum. To determine the correct size, multiple the the number of Gigs of RAM by 1500. ex: 2.00GB of RAM = 3000Meg Page file size. Click Set and then OK to exit all open windows.

You might want to try reading some of the help files in Windows to perform the maintenance or even invest in a program like Iolo's System Mechanic to help you keep your computer working correctly.

I can also assure you that your problems are a result of crud or incorrect settings on your computer.

I am trying to burn my first slideshow with music to DVD - I'm having problems in that as soon as I click burn a message co,mres up saying Encoding error. Is this possibly a problem with the audio files being encrypted? I read something in thge User Guide about being unable to burn certain audio tracks that carry a protection - does anyone know how such files can be identified beforehand?

The DVD disc is OK as it was the one supplied with the software

Encryption is not the problem with audio files. Files purchased from an on line store such as ITunes are protected by DRM so they cannot be used in VideoWave directly. You are using VideoWave to make your slide show - aren't you? Some other files that are mp3 have encoding that VideoWave doesn't like. The way to solve that issue is to put the files into Sound Editor and export them as wav files.

Do not use the slide show assistants to make a slide show unless you are really familiar with the program. Problems with those Assistants are hard to diagnose.

Since your problem is immediate, there may be hardware issues. Please post your hardware spec especially anything regarding your video card/chip.

Make a small project. Open Video Wave, go to the top menu and select tools, options and put a dot near software. Add some of your images and transitions. Add one of those converted mp3 files. Save the project and then output it as a mpg for DVD file, best quality using the film reel icon above the preview screen. The project should encode. If there is a problem at that point, I would suggest a bad install or not enough system resources. If the project encodes for a time and then stops, look at the time it stopped and see what you put into that time frame. It could be anything like a bad timing around a transition.

Remember transitions before and after an image take the transition duration away from the display if you have a image that is supposed to display for 3 second and a transition before and after the image of 1 second each, then the display of the image will be 2 seconds. You can see a short image display with longer transitions will give you problems.

If trying what I suggest above and you cannot find the problem, you may have a bad install. Do a Windows Control Panel, add or remove programs and do a repair. Keep the disc handy in case the program asks for it or know where it is on your hard drive.

Make sure that the computer has no malware, the hard drive is defragged and has plenty of space. Turn off the internet and your anti-virus when you do the repair.

Hi sknis

I know if this little lot means much to you - it doesn't to me!

Using my serial number I dowloaded the following as the spec for my system from the manufacturers site.

Video Component

ATI RADEON 9200 (RV280SE) video card 128 MB DDR +TV-out

Name: ATI RV280SE / Radeon 9200

Type: 2D/3D Video card

Manufacturer Chipset: ATI

Manufacturer Board: Gigabyte

02-07-2003

Core

Quasar (MS6786) V1.0 µATX motherboard

Name: Quasar (MS6786 KM400 Ver 1.0)

Type: µATX motherboard

Manufacturer: MSI

27-06-2003

CPU

AMD Athlon XP 2800+

05-01-2004

Storage Components

Samsung V80 Hard Disk Drive

Name: V80

Type: 3.5-inch IDE HDD

Speed: 5400 RPM

Density: 80GB/platter

Cache: 2MB

Manufacturer: Samsung

22-12-2003

HLDS GDR-8162B DVD Drive

Name: GDR-8162B

Type: 16x DVD-ROM/40 xCD-ROM Drive

Manufacturer: LG / HITACHI, HLDS group

07-07-2003

TOSHIBA SD-R5112 DVD-R/-RW Drive

Product Name: SD-R5112

Type: 16x CD-R writing / 10xCD-RW Writing / 40x CD-ROM reading / 12x DVD reading / 4x DVD-R writing / 2x DVD-RW writing

Manufacturer: Toshiba

01-07-2003

HDD Seagate U9 series

Manufacturer: Seagate

Name: U9

Type: 3.5-inch IDE

22-05-2003

HDD Maxtor Falcon series

Manufacturer: Maxtor

Name: Falcon - Diamond Max 16

Type: 3.5-inch IDE

22-05-2003

Pioneer DVR-105BA/DVR-105BC

Product: DVR-105BA/DVR-105BC

Writing speed: 4x DVD-R, 2x DVD-RW, 16x CD-R, 8x CD-RW

Reading speed: 12x DVD-ROM, 32x CD-ROM

Manufacturer: Pioneer

DVR-105BA (mist-white)

DVR-105BC (grey)

12-11-2002

HLDS GDR-8161B DVD Drive

Name: GDR-8161B

Product: 16x DVD-ROM / 40x CD-ROM drive

Manufacturer: LG / HITACHI, HLDS group

06-11-2002

Defragging a disc is a maintenance step that should be done monthly or so. When you add anything to your hard drive, Windows installs part of it to the first open area on the disc. If there is not enough space then it goes to the second and writes some there. It continues until the entire file or program is put on the hard drive. It is a fragmented file/ program/ etc. Defragmenting the hard drive tries to put all those sections together. The programs open and run faster since there is less searching of the hard drive.

Go to "My Computer" open, select your hard drive, and right click on it. First do the clean up, then do the defrag. If your hard drive has a lot of old files and is badly fragmented, it could take several hours to do this.

Yes, if virtual memory is too low, it will cause problems as will other system settings.

R click on My Computer and select properties, advanced, under performance, select setting. In the first tab "visual performance" select adjust for best performance, In the second tab, "advanced", make sure that programs is selected for the first two options and then click on virtual memory "change".

Select the C: drive only from the list and under Custom size, enter the page file size in Megabytes, using the same size for Initial and Maximum. To determine the correct size, multiple the the number of Gigs of RAM by 1500. ex: 2.00GB of RAM = 3000Meg Page file size. Click Set and then OK to exit all open windows.

You might want to try reading some of the help files in Windows to perform the maintenance or even invest in a program like Iolo's System Mechanic to help you keep your computer working correctly.

I can also assure you that your problems are a result of crud or incorrect settings on your computer.

Thanks a milllion!

All sorted - just in time for the Xmas film show

Hollywood here I come!

Your video card is more than likely your downfall. Update the drivers to the most current that you can get. Then, change to Software rendering, before you burn your production.

Thanks for your response. I have now upgraded my videocard but amd still getting the same message "encoding error"

What do you mean by "change to software rendering" before burning?

Thanks for your response. I have now upgraded my videocard but amd still getting the same message "encoding error"

What do you mean by "change to software rendering" before burning?

Its OK - I've just found out how to do this - still getting the same "8004520C encoding error"

Also, I've noted from previous posts that transition times can sometimes produce the error. My transition times are 1 second - and the slides show for aroound 8 - 10 seconds.

Are there any other ideas that anyone has - in thge meantime I'll try a reinstall

Archived