• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dual Layer Recording

DaAFBrat

Question

I am having an issue when burning to a dual layer disc. I make sure that I select the " I would like to use disc for more than one recording: option. But each time I check to see the remaining space on my disc, properties always indicate that I have "0" space remaing and that basically my disc is closed. Can someone out there please tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Let me get this right please Jim.

Are you saying that neither 9 nor 10 will burn a DVD dash DL in sessions (Layer Jump Recording) because you have tried it?

That is correct!

While others like to run-on about these things, I test

Screen Caps from Creator Classic 10

'plus' DL: Note the Read Only box is clear

post-39-1198587075.jpg

'dash' DL: Note the Read Only is set and non-selectable.

post-39-1198587084.jpg

Now Classic is as far as I have tested for the moment but if anyone can show me how to make this work, please do…

Roxio will only burn Sessions to a 'plus' DL disc. It cannot burn Sessions to 'dash' DL disc, however it would have indicated such!

But EMC10 claims to support Layer-Jump recording with DVD-DL discs, Jim. The EMC10 help file says about DVD-R dual-layer with layer-jump recording:

Layer-jump recording (LJR) allows users to add data over multiple recording sessions. The data is evenly distributed on both layers of the disc.

I wish they'd write a decent help file and manual. The one they have has been "dumbed-down" much too much.

Regards,

Brendon

But EMC10 claims to support Layer-Jump recording with DVD-DL discs, Jim. The EMC10 help file says about DVD-R dual-layer with layer-jump recording:

I wish they'd write a decent help file and manual. The one they have has been "dumbed-down" much too much.

Regards,

Brendon

Let me know how it works, after you have actually tried it

Didn't you just post something about missing parts in EMC10???

Whereas –DL with Session writing writes 1/2 of the data session to the first layer but the second half of the data session goes to the second layer! I have no idea how it handles a DVD Movie…

Hi Jim,

That's what they call "Layer Jump Recording" and Sonic/Roxio claim to support it, but it seems from your actually trying it that in fact they still don't support it.

Thanks for reporting your results. I would have tried it, but I've run out of dash DLs until the shops reopen.

Regards,

Brendon

Jim,

Have you tested against EMC V9 -dl for jump-layer recording? If it doesn't work in V9 then you have proven that Roxio has a "documentation error" or possible bug.

Good work Jim! :)

I would have tested it out but I am traveling with my laptop and it doesn't support -dl and I don't use -dl with my other PC.

Jim,

Have you tested against EMC V9 -dl for jump-layer recording? If it doesn't work in V9 then you have proven that Roxio has a "documentation error" or possible bug.

Good work Jim! :)

I would have tested it out but I am traveling with my laptop and it doesn't support -dl and I don't use -dl with my other PC.

No Documentation Error Dave. Roxio will burn to both 'dash' and 'plus' DL media without a problem.

It just cannot burn Sessions to 'dash' DL media in Classic in either V9 or V10. (I have tested both).

Problem is a user reading more into the documentation that what it is really saying… (would have fooled me to! – but that is why I test things rather than relying on intellectual theory!) :D:D:D

Good points Jim! :) -DL per the standard indicates no add on data hence Roxio's position by graying out and checking the read only box for a burn. One burn and one burn only.

Jump-layer support is good for video due to the recording method (inside out and then outside in) so pauses are not noticeable. Basically a one track seek is hardly noticeable verses having to move mass (r/w head) many tracks.

EMC version 9 Creator Classic supports DVD-R DL per the help menu. I have never tried it because I use DVD+R DL.

When it comes to Roxio help menus, don't necessarily believe everything it says. :rolleyes: I found that you really have to try it to be sure. Many frequent posters will not post to a thread unless they have actually tried it. :) Thanks for that information.

The information supplied was somewhat misleading by the poster. The indicated media was DVD+DL and called "Dual Layer" by the poster on post #4. DVD+DL is "double layer" and sessions should be possible. "Dual Layer" is associated with -DL and therefore only one session just has JH has indicated.

The information supplied was somewhat misleading by the poster. The indicated media was DVD+DL and called "Dual Layer" by the poster on post #4. DVD+DL is "double layer" and sessions should be possible. "Dual Layer" is associated with -DL and therefore only one session just has JH has indicated.

Unfortunately the term Dual layer and Double Layer have become intechangeable to most comsurmers and the best identifier is to use the "+" and "-" indentifiers

EMC version 9 Creator Classic supports DVD-R DL per the help menu. I have never tried it because I use DVD+R DL.

Would Dave please quote the part of the Help file (EMC9) that indicates it will burn Sessions to –DL???

It will burn a –DL in all applications but cannot burn Sessions to a –DL disc. I have tried…

I am having an issue when burning to a dual layer disc. I make sure that I select the " I would like to use disc for more than one recording: option. But each time I check to see the remaining space on my disc, properties always indicate that I have "0" space remaing and that basically my disc is closed. Can someone out there please tell me what I may be doing wrong?

What program are you using? What type of files are you burning?

EMC 10. The program that I am using is Data Disc under "Data and Backup". The files are 97% data with a coulple of multimedia files included.

I am using Memorex DVD+R Dual Layer discs.

Just a suggestion----Dump the Memorex media. It's probably at the bottom of the heap when it comes to being reliable. Stick with Verbatim, TDK, Tyo Yuden etc.

Frank...

I believe I stated EMC 10 in my earlier post (Easy Media Creator 10 Suite). And I am sure that I did select that option (twice) before I went back to a single layer disc and had no problems. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the advice Frank.

If you are just burning as a data disc, use Creator Classic, and when you click on Burn, uncheck the box that says Read only. You will be able to burn more to that disc, later on.

RoxAnn saved me! Version 10 supports -DL and +DL.

Recordable media formats:

• Supports all popular recordable formats:

CD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL, DVD-RAM, BD-R, BD-RE, BD-R DL

We know it can write to both, the question asked was about Sessions and you are cleverly avoiding that!

V9 cannot write 'dash' DL sessions!!! "Supported" or not, are we clear?

Archived