• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

New Laptop has 'bad installation'?

mark1965

Question

Hi

I was wondering if there might be someone who can help me out here please?

I recently bought a HP laptop which has Roxio etc already installed. However, when I attempt to use any of the components in Roxio, a message tells me I need to download a MPEG2 codec. When I go to do this, another message tells me I have a bad installation and closes the programme down......

Does anyone know how I can fix this, I have emailed Roxio support but wondered if there was anything I could do while I'm waiting for a response.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Hi

I was wondering if there might be someone who can help me out here please?

I recently bought a HP laptop which has Roxio etc already installed. However, when I attempt to use any of the components in Roxio, a message tells me I need to download a MPEG2 codec. When I go to do this, another message tells me I have a bad installation and closes the programme down......

Does anyone know how I can fix this, I have emailed Roxio support but wondered if there was anything I could do while I'm waiting for a response.

Thanks

There has been many,many posts on this forum on this issue (just type in mpeg 2 in the search....top right).

This one here http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=12074 is from Roxio.

This possible fix is for the FULL retail version and you have a HP OEM version, and it may not work for your version. You could try it, nothing to loose.

If it works, great, if not you should contact HP as they provide all support for their version.

Roxio support will eventually get back to you, but they will tell you the same thing "they dont provide support for OEM versions", they will if you want to pay for their help.

There has been many,many posts on this forum on this issue (just type in mpeg 2 in the search....top right).

This one here http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=12074 is from Roxio.

This possible fix is for the FULL retail version and you have a HP OEM version, and it may not work for your version. You could try it, nothing to loose.

If it works, great, if not you should contact HP as they provide all support for their version.

Roxio support will eventually get back to you, but they will tell you the same thing "they dont provide support for OEM versions", they will if you want to pay for their help.

Yes I'm sorry, I should have looked more closely before posting, thanks for your help.

Happy Christmas :)

yes I'm sorry, i should have looked more closely before posting. Thanks for your help and Happy Christmas

:)

Yes I'm sorry, I should have looked more closely before posting, thanks for your help.

Happy Christmas :)

I'm surprised that you got that message. I also just bought an HP that came with the My DVD9 Basic version. When you open it, you see movee as the video editing program, My DVD and My DVD lite and the capture program. I'll have to get the Version number. There should have been no reason for you to get that message unless it was really a corruption of the entire installation. Since they just load essentially the same disc image on all the computers, it would be really unusual. Does everything else work? Did you make a back up copy of the installation?

Did you purchase another Roxio program with the computer; perhaps My DVD 9 Studio? It would have cost an extra $50 or so?

Open the MyDVD home page and get the version number from the top help> about this software. The version should start with 9.0.?????

Archived