• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Fixed Burning Issue in EMC10

John1952

Question

22 answers to this question

Both were on the same cable in a master/slave configuration (I did not use cable select - not sure if that would have mattered or not).

The only time that I have ever heard of a problem, with two DVD burners, being on the same IDE cable, as master/slave configuration, was when both DVD burners were the exact same make and model.

But, with the newer motherboards, and the advent of 80 wire, 40 pin cables, that should not be a problem.

The only time that I have ever heard of a problem, with two DVD burners, being on the same IDE cable, as master/slave configuration, was when both DVD burners were the exact same make and model.

But, with the newer motherboards, and the advent of 80 wire, 40 pin cables, that should not be a problem.

I had run 2 drives for years without issue. Interestingly, Nero 7 burned fine in this configuration, but Nero 8 also failed. Obviously, the drivers play a part in this otherwise I would have expected Nero to fail burning as well. I recently rebuilt my machine from scratch, so it's about as late model as it gets. The DVD burner that I removed was a few years old (Pioneer model), but I flashed it with the latest firmware, to no effect also.

When I get some time, I'll reinstall another new DVD drive in place of the Pioneer that I removed. You may be correct in that two later model DVD drives may not have a problem.

Life's even easier with SATA. ;)

SATA is coming on strong, but I would think that it represents less than 1% of the burners that folks have in their computers.

My next burner will be a SATA. I have two open SATA connections, on my mobo. :)

I've got 2 SATA burners and 3 SATA drives and it couldn't be any easier. However, like you (and many others) I've not had the problems John1952 has. I wonder if a BIOS update would help the situation.

What am I missing here?

I have always had 2 burners on the same cable since 1988 and never had any problems…

Coming up on 10 years, should I expect trouble soon?

If it's been working for you so far, I wouldn't expect any trouble. Interesting posts about SATA DVD drives. I didn't realize they were coming, but it makes sense. My new motherboard had 6 SATA connections, of which I'm currently only using 2.

As I mentioned in my post above, I think this is a specific case of some hardware/driver issues which sometimes affect systems with 2 DVDs on the same IDE cable. In my case, I was able to resolve the issue by removing the second drive. Had I not found that article on Google, I'd still be trying to fix this. I don't suspect this is a problem for most people, but those folks running 2 DVDs having burn issues, its a step to try in order to diagnose and resolve the problem.

The 2 burners over 9 years is based on 3 different PCs. Very few have ever had a problem with this setup.

The 'evidence' you cited was One person, who built his own PC, and reached that conclusion all by himself and posted the problem as well as the result 2 days apart, 2 years ago!

Note that absolutely no other person has posted to that thread in 2 1/2 years to either confirm or deny his "conclusions".

Seems pretty weak to me…

The SATA drives have been available on Dell's for almost a year. Their Dell Talk site is filled with posts of users who cannot get the system to recognize the drives! These are PCs right out of the box. Not really a walk in park.

What am I missing here?

I have always had 2 burners on the same cable since 1988 and never had any problems…

Coming up on 10 years, should I expect trouble soon?

I have not ever had a problem with two burners, either. And, I suspect that most people don't, but I do remember that when some people did, it was because of what I posted earlier.

If it's been working for you so far, I wouldn't expect any trouble. Interesting posts about SATA DVD drives. I didn't realize they were coming, but it makes sense. My new motherboard had 6 SATA connections, of which I'm currently only using 2.

As I mentioned in my post above, I think this is a specific case of some hardware/driver issues which sometimes affect systems with 2 DVDs on the same IDE cable. In my case, I was able to resolve the issue by removing the second drive. Had I not found that article on Google, I'd still be trying to fix this. I don't suspect this is a problem for most people, but those folks running 2 DVDs having burn issues, its a step to try in order to diagnose and resolve the problem.

John1952,

"I too had problems burning DVDs in EMC 10, even though they burned fine in Nero 7"

You really never said what the problem was?

As far as a hardware driver issue. Are you using a 80 wire 40 pin IDE cable as Bruce talked about? Is your new motherboard chipset a Nvidia based board? Are you using Microsoft standard IDE drivers or Nvidia drivers?

I'm glad it's working with one drive, like the others I'm a bit skeptical of the fix!

cd

John1952,

"I too had problems burning DVDs in EMC 10, even though they burned fine in Nero 7"

You really never said what the problem was?

As far as a hardware driver issue. Are you using a 80 wire 40 pin IDE cable as Bruce talked about? Is your new motherboard chipset a Nvidia based board? Are you using Microsoft standard IDE drivers or Nvidia drivers?

I'm glad it's working with one drive, like the others I'm a bit skeptical of the fix!

cd

I just offered this fix because it worked for me. I'm using a 40 pin IDE cable. I just built the 2 computer weeks ago. It's a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R motherboard, Core Duo 2.66Ghz processor with 2GB of RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT graphics card running the NVIDIA drivers. I'm also running Windows Vista. The DVD drive I'm using a Sony model. I also have a Memorex model and Pioneer model as well. As long as the Pioneer was connected as a slave drive, I had burn problems with EMC.

The EMC burn problem reported as:

Sense: 02 ASC: 04 ASCQ: 08 (Command 00)

-------------------------------------------------------

Px.dll: 4.2.58.500

PxAFS.DLL: 4.2.58.500

pxdrv.dll: 1.2.16.0

PxMas.dll: 4.2.58.500

PxSFS.DLL: 4.2.58.500

PxWave.dll: 4.2.58.500

pxwma.dll: 1.0.0.3

After this didn't fix it, they had me remove the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry keys. At that point, EMC reported no drives found, even though Windows showed the drives. I also updated to the latest PX engine patch and update the DVD drive firmware. Seeing that I just bought the motherboard a few weeks ago, I didn't flash the BIOS.

I don't suspect this is a problem for a lot of people, but it did fix my problem. I just offer it in case it helps others.

I'd advise one thing here and that is to go and update the BIOS

No matter how 'new' any item of hardware may be to you, it can be six months or more old in terms of drivers by the time you get it - the drivers will have been burnt to a master CD when the board started life and when you add together the time taken from development, through production to shipping to a wholesaler and then to where you bought it (not forgetting the time it spent on various shelves) you can see how it goes out of date very fast

It's always better to install the latest drivers and flash the BIOS once you have the thing assembled

John: It looks like it got lost in the shuffle…

We do appreciate you posting this information. As you indicate, if someone finds use for it, Good!

Thank You and Merry Christmas!

Thank you and Merry Christmas as well.

When I get some time (hopefully later today), I'll investigate this some more and report back.

I agree completely with you, John. You had the problem, and removing the drive fixed it. Q.E.D.

Thanks for posting this, and I'd be very interested in hearing if both burners will co-reside when one is shifted to the other IDE channel.

Regards,

Brendon

I agree completely with you, John. You had the problem, and removing the drive fixed it. Q.E.D.

Thanks for posting this, and I'd be very interested in hearing if both burners will co-reside when one is shifted to the other IDE channel.

Regards,

Brendon

I only have 1 IDE connector on the motherboard, so I don't have the option of trying 2 separate IDE ports unless I add an IDE card (which I don't plan to do). I ran some experiments and here are my findings:

Sony only burner = burn OK

Sony + Pioneer burners = burn fail

Sony + Memorex burners = burn fail

Then I flashed the motherboard with the latest BIOS:

Sony + Memorex burner = burn fail

Sony only = burn OK

I will say that Vista now boots much faster with the latest BIOS, so that's an added bonus for my experimentation.

Did you have both of your burners on the same IDE ribbon cable John, or was each one secondary to a hard drive on a separate cable?

Both were on the same cable in a master/slave configuration (I did not use cable select - not sure if that would have mattered or not).

You should only use CS on a specially configured cable, so MS/SL was the right way to do it.

However some burners get themselves tangled if they're on a cable with another burner. A timing issue, I suspect.

It used to be recommended not to mix HD and optical drives else you'd take a hit on HD performance, but that doesn't apply with modern stuff. :)

If you want to run both burners still, you might find they'll work if you put the hard drives on separate cables as masters, and the opticals on separate cables as slaves.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived