• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Slow and jerky frame rate during playback?

OhioSean

Question

Hello all,

First time poster here so I apologize if any of this has been asked before. I searched this forum and I found some infomation but nothing that helped me with this particular problem.

I am making a series of SD DVDs. I shot the video in HD but exported the video in SD avi. I know the AVI files are fine as they look and playback find in various programs. After I import then into DVDit Pro HD they look fine in the preview window as well.

Here is the problem. I already made one DVD in my series which played and looked fine in any DVD player I tried it in. When I burn a DVD or write a DVD image then burn it later (of the second volume in this series with the same exact default preferences as the first) the video looks like it is playing back in a different frame rate or is missing frames. The audio is fine.

I have read a couple of different posts with possible solutions like changing the field order but I have tried everything I have found in here so far and am having zero luck. I even went as far as starting from scratch by re-capturing the footage, starting a new project in DVDit and going from there. I just finished checking out the finished project and once again the video is quite jerky or stuttering. My PC is pretty powerful so I don't think it's related to a processing error, but then again, I am up for any suggestions.

Any help would be great.

-Sean

5 answers to this question

After some toying around with different ideas I fixed my problem. It really wasn't field related after all. What happend was I included a second audio track that contained a commentary. Both the original .avi file and the audio that went with it were almost exactly an hour long. The commentary track was just two seconds over an hour but that was enough to cause a conflict with the video when transcoding to .mpg.

I simply added two seconds of black to the end of the master video, imported it into DVDit and kept the original commentary track and tried to make an .iso file. I am very happy to say the video and sound look great with no frame rate loss or anything like that.

-Sean

Yep, I am letting DVDit downvert the video to DVD. I did try using Premier as well as Vegas to make sample DVDs and they both looked fine. Instead of wasting discs I am now just burning a .iso file to my hard drive and opening it with WinDVD. The same effect happens when creating a .iso file via DVDit.. It looks like it's playing every other frame or something. Almost like a strobe effect but the clarity of the video is clear as is the audio.

-Sean

Sounds like a upper/lower field issue, you can change the setting in DVDit, see if that helps. I would just use Premiere/Vegas and just import the .mpg into DVDit.

Sounds like a upper/lower field issue, you can change the setting in DVDit, see if that helps. I would just use Premiere/Vegas and just import the .mpg into DVDit.

I tried exporting my movie as an .mpg with Premier then importing the file into DVDit. When I go through the process of making a .iso file and then viewing it I get a bit of a different result. The jerky frame rate is still there but almost in a faster looking way. I don't really know how to explain it. It almost looke like watching a 3-D field sequential movie without the glasses as when there is fast motion the image almost looks doubled. When there isn't a lot of movement it doesn't look as bad.

I also made three different .iso files with top field first, then bottom, and finally non-interlaced. Each had the same result when trying to watch them.

I am now going to try and use Vegas to export a .mpg and see what happens. Chances are it won't work but it's worth a try.

-Sean

Are you letting DVDit downvert the video to DVD? If you are, I would try another app or use your editing app to output to DVD to see if there is a difference.

Yep, I am letting DVDit downvert the video to DVD. I did try using Premier as well as Vegas to make sample DVDs and they both looked fine. Instead of wasting discs I am now just burning a .iso file to my hard drive and opening it with WinDVD. The same effect happens when creating a .iso file via DVDit.. It looks like it's playing every other frame or something. Almost like a strobe effect but the clarity of the video is clear as is the audio.

-Sean

Hello all,

First time poster here so I apologize if any of this has been asked before. I searched this forum and I found some infomation but nothing that helped me with this particular problem.

I am making a series of SD DVDs. I shot the video in HD but exported the video in SD avi. I know the AVI files are fine as they look and playback find in various programs. After I import then into DVDit Pro HD they look fine in the preview window as well.

Here is the problem. I already made one DVD in my series which played and looked fine in any DVD player I tried it in. When I burn a DVD or write a DVD image then burn it later (of the second volume in this series with the same exact default preferences as the first) the video looks like it is playing back in a different frame rate or is missing frames. The audio is fine.

I have read a couple of different posts with possible solutions like changing the field order but I have tried everything I have found in here so far and am having zero luck. I even went as far as starting from scratch by re-capturing the footage, starting a new project in DVDit and going from there. I just finished checking out the finished project and once again the video is quite jerky or stuttering. My PC is pretty powerful so I don't think it's related to a processing error, but then again, I am up for any suggestions.

Any help would be great.

-Sean

Are you letting DVDit downvert the video to DVD? If you are, I would try another app or use your editing app to output to DVD to see if there is a difference.

Archived