Sign in to follow this  
georgedelarge

Burns Cd With Toc But No Audio

ok i installed EZ CD creator 5 platinum onto my Windows ME computer. when i tried to burn an audio cd, it burnt the Table of Contents so i got the track numbers and song lengths, but no actual sound. other freeware programs worked fine. i updated the program to v.502c. now roxio wont even recognize taht i have a cd burner, although my computer does. the freeware programs still work. any ideas?

Hello George,

What is your burner's ID string? Right click My Computer, select properties, Device Manager. Find the DVD/CDROM icon, click on the + alongside to expand it and you will see an icon and text information for each CD/DVD device installed. This text is the ID String. Please quote it exactly.

You updated Platinum to 5.02c? What version was it before, please?

If you have updated, we need to see if the update was successful. What version does Creator show now, please? Run Easy CD Creator in a data project, click the help item on the top toolbar, and select "About Easy CD Creator". A box will open. The full version number is shown in there.

You say the computer recognizes your burner - windows will read any standard CDROM interface without recognition issues, but EasyCD Creator 5 needs to know your drive to issue the right commands for burning CDs.

What other CD burning programs do you have on the system please? Some other programs interfere with Easy CD Creator 4 or 5 and kill them.

the ID string is OPTORITE CD-RW CW4802

the version was originally 5.01 and the update was successful and now it says i have version 5.02c

The only CD Burning programs I have are what is on windows media and Winamp's intenal burner.

the version was originally 5.01 and the update was successful and now it says i have version 5.02c

The only CD Burning programs I have are what is on windows media and Winamp's intenal burner.

Suggestion:

Update your Roxio 5 installation completely to version 5.3.5.

If you have Platinum - download and apply all 4 Platinum updates available on this site. Be sure to run the 5.3.5 updater before the driveupdate.

If you have "basic" (a version that came with your computer or cdrw drive) download and run the 5.3.5 basic updater - and the same driveup updater mentioned above.

Then see if your program sees your drive and runs.

Concerning the error you described (burning a cd writes the toc but no actual audio tracks) - I've seen this before. In my case, it was related to a specific batch of TDK cd-r media. Sometimes it would happen, other times all worked just fine. When that media was gone - the problem disappeared also . . .

If you have WinPlayer 9 or 10 (and I think those are the only ones that have CD burning capacity), WinPlayer will "break" ECDC 5 by installing .dll files with the same name and different contents. In the case of WinPlayer 9, it won't come completely back off the Hard Drive short of a reformat.

I think WinAmp of similar vintage will do the same, but I'm not sure.

So if you have WinPlayer or WinAmp recording abilites, you are probably going to have to upgrade to a newer Version of burning software unless you have enough with WinPlayer or WinAmp.

Lynn

Hello George,

Your OPTORITE CD-RW CW4802 was not recognized for burning by Easy CD Creator 5 until version 5.11h - that's version 5.1 with the Driveup_v511h drive update patch.

You'll not burn a CD properly with that drive if your version is under 5.11h, so you need to update as Rich suggested to 5.3.5.10 - You won't need any of the 535 DriveUp patches.

You might be in trouble if you have a late version of Windows Media Player installed, but then again you may get lucky since you're doing the ECDC update after WMP was installed. (Don't later upgrade WMP though - that's asking for problems).