• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD Capture

twitcher

Question

15 answers to this question

James

Sorry if I have given you insufficient information for you to give a comprehensive reply. My hobby is digital photography and I normally use VideoWave and MyDVD to convert static digital photographs into a DVD slide-show for viewing on a TV. I have never used EMC 9 to capture video.

I have recently used my Sony RDR-GX300 Video Recorder (about 5 years old) to record various episodes of a TV series onto 2 DVD+RW discs. The recorder has been set to record 6 hours of video on each DVD. I want to save 4 of the one hour episodes onto a DVD+R permanently, thus releasing the two DVD+RWs for further use. My problem lies in the fact that the episodes concerned are distributed between the 2 discs and I wondered whether it would be possible, using EMC 9, to capture the 4 episodes concerned, edit them, and burn the edited episodes onto a DVD+R.

The first DVD is shown as having two folders named VIDEO RM and VIDEO TS. The VIDEO TS folder contains, amongst others, a file named VIDEO TS.VOB and four files named VTS 01 1.VOB to VTS 01 04.VOB. Following your advice, I copied the latter 4 files onto my HD and renamed them VTS 01 1.MPG to VTS 01 4.MPG as you suggested with the result detailed in my second post.

Following your most recent advice, I copied the VIDEO TS folder/contents onto my HD and tried to use Media Import to capture it however, the only source enabled to capture video is via the DVD drive on my computer. When I insert the DVD into the DVD drive it recognizes the DVD but the only capture settings available are MPEG, DivX and WMV 9. As there appear to be no files of this nature on the DVD nothing happens.

If you can think of a solution I should be grateful but otherwise I'll just have to keep the two DVD+RWs which, to date, seems to be the only solution.

Re: Renaming files.

Make sure windows is set to not hide known file types. Now go back and see if those files were actually renamed VTS 01 1.mpg.vob which is indeed possible. Roxio will not use that file but if you delete the vob part, it will.

EMC 9.0 will not capture from a Disc! That is why I suggested you copy them to your HD.

Although your DVD drive may be showing for Source in Media Import, if you clicked it, you could have selected Browse. Then you navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder and select any of them…

IF you actually used a 'plus' RW media you should be good to go. If you used 'dash' RW media, the files will not ever be usable until you put them back into the Recorder and Finalize the discs.

Although I am still a little concerned about having a VIDEO_RM folder on there… That indicates you recorded them in VR mode and they are not finalized.

I would do exactly what Grandpa Bruce said and then once the files are on your hard drive, you can go ahead and erase the DVD-RW under EMC9 "tools" and "erase disc" to make it usable again if you want to transfer anything more from your recordable dvd to the computer using the same disc. The only thing you will have to do is format the disc in the recorder and it should prompt you to do this before you are able to record onto it. Hope that helps!

Rachel

Well that did it. Time to edit the video - let the fun really begin!! Many thanks to everybody who's contributed to this post. I really appreciate your efforts. A happy and prosperous New Year to you all.

Running the files on a Player indicates absolutely nothing! The files are either corrupt or not compatible with an Editor!

You have given us almost nothing but vague hints and we are doing the best we can given what we have to work with.

Make a new folder on your HD and copy the entire VIDEO_TS folder/contents from your DVD into it.

See if you can use Media Import to capture it.

James

Sorry if I have given you insufficient information for you to give a comprehensive reply. My hobby is digital photography and I normally use VideoWave and MyDVD to convert static digital photographs into a DVD slide-show for viewing on a TV. I have never used EMC 9 to capture video.

I have recently used my Sony RDR-GX300 Video Recorder (about 5 years old) to record various episodes of a TV series onto 2 DVD+RW discs. The recorder has been set to record 6 hours of video on each DVD. I want to save 4 of the one hour episodes onto a DVD+R permanently, thus releasing the two DVD+RWs for further use. My problem lies in the fact that the episodes concerned are distributed between the 2 discs and I wondered whether it would be possible, using EMC 9, to capture the 4 episodes concerned, edit them, and burn the edited episodes onto a DVD+R.

The first DVD is shown as having two folders named VIDEO RM and VIDEO TS. The VIDEO TS folder contains, amongst others, a file named VIDEO TS.VOB and four files named VTS 01 1.VOB to VTS 01 04.VOB. Following your advice, I copied the latter 4 files onto my HD and renamed them VTS 01 1.MPG to VTS 01 4.MPG as you suggested with the result detailed in my second post.

Following your most recent advice, I copied the VIDEO TS folder/contents onto my HD and tried to use Media Import to capture it however, the only source enabled to capture video is via the DVD drive on my computer. When I insert the DVD into the DVD drive it recognizes the DVD but the only capture settings available are MPEG, DivX and WMV 9. As there appear to be no files of this nature on the DVD nothing happens.

If you can think of a solution I should be grateful but otherwise I’ll just have to keep the two DVD+RWs which, to date, seems to be the only solution.

Yes but unless you Finalized the discs it may present problems…

Fastest way (?) is to copy the *.vob files to your HD and rename them *.mpg.

Pull them into VideoWave to Cut the commercials out, then go into MyDVD to burn a DVD.

A 4.7gb DVD holds 1 hour of DVD Movie at best quality…

EMC 9.0 will not capture from a Disc! That is why I suggested you copy them to your HD.

Although your DVD drive may be showing for Source in Media Import, if you clicked it, you could have selected Browse. Then you navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder and select any of them…

IF you actually used a 'plus' RW media you should be good to go. If you used 'dash' RW media, the files will not ever be usable until you put them back into the Recorder and Finalize the discs.

Although I am still a little concerned about having a VIDEO_RM folder on there… That indicates you recorded them in VR mode and they are not finalized.

James

Thanks for your continued efforts. Just to clarify – all my recordings are made on either DVD+RW or DVD+R. In view of your concerns I thought the problem might be with the disc, so I inserted another unfinalized DVD+RW into my PC DVD player on which the are 5 recently recorded one hour TV programmes. I transferred all the .VOG files onto my HD and renamed all the .VOG files to .MPG. I opened VideoWave as you originally suggested and tried to transfer them, but got the same error message as in my previous post.

I then transferred the whole of the VIDEO TS file onto my HD. I then opened EMC 9, clicked on “Video”, clicked on “Capture Video” which opened “Roxio Media Import”. I clicked on “Video” which gave the options:-

“Transfer videos from camcorders

Import video from DVDs

Capture video from video capture

To begin click the button from the device from which you wish to capture video.”

However the box at the top of the Window states “There are no devices available for this media type”

When I insert a DVD the box changes to show the DVD residing in the DVD player but I can’t see any way of opening the desktop files showing either the contents of the VIDEO TS file or the converted .VOG files.

You mention concern about there being a VIDEO RM folder present, does this mean that EMV 9 will only capture video from finalized discs? If so, the object of the exercise in capturing the video onto DVD+R and releasing disc space on the two DVD+RWs for further use fails.

James

Thanks for your continued efforts. Just to clarify – all my recordings are made on either DVD+RW or DVD+R. In view of your concerns I thought the problem might be with the disc, so I inserted another unfinalized DVD+RW into my PC DVD player on which the are 5 recently recorded one hour TV programmes. I transferred all the .VOG files onto my HD and renamed all the .VOG files to .MPG. I opened VideoWave as you originally suggested and tried to transfer them, but got the same error message as in my previous post.

I then transferred the whole of the VIDEO TS file onto my HD. I then opened EMC 9, clicked on “Video”, clicked on “Capture Video” which opened “Roxio Media Import”. I clicked on “Video” which gave the options:-

“Transfer videos from camcorders

Import video from DVDs

Capture video from video capture

To begin click the button from the device from which you wish to capture video.”

However the box at the top of the Window states “There are no devices available for this media type”

When I insert a DVD the box changes to show the DVD residing in the DVD player but I can’t see any way of opening the desktop files showing either the contents of the VIDEO TS file or the converted .VOG files.

You mention concern about there being a VIDEO RM folder present, does this mean that EMV 9 will only capture video from finalized discs? If so, the object of the exercise in capturing the video onto DVD+R and releasing disc space on the two DVD+RWs for further use fails.

Finalize the disc.

Copy files, from disc to hard drive.

Open VideoWave. Bring in files for editing.

No capture needed.

As James says, 1 hour at best quality; up to a little less than 2 hours.

Check the DVD player that you will be using to watch the DVD to see if it can handle DivX files. That is a highly compressed format so you would be able to get more on a standard DVD.

You output the edited videos to that format from VideoWave.

Finalize the disc.

Copy files, from disc to hard drive.

Open VideoWave. Bring in files for editing.

No capture needed.

I would do exactly what Grandpa Bruce said and then once the files are on your hard drive, you can go ahead and erase the DVD-RW under EMC9 "tools" and "erase disc" to make it usable again if you want to transfer anything more from your recordable dvd to the computer using the same disc. The only thing you will have to do is format the disc in the recorder and it should prompt you to do this before you are able to record onto it. Hope that helps!

Rachel

As James says, 1 hour at best quality; up to a little less than 2 hours.

Check the DVD player that you will be using to watch the DVD to see if it can handle DivX files. That is a highly compressed format so you would be able to get more on a standard DVD.

You output the edited videos to that format from VideoWave.

True but keep in mind that a DVD containing DivX files will not enjoy widespread distribution as it is only playable on those Players that can do DivX.

I have 10 Players in my circle of friends. Not a single one will play DivX!

Generally it is not a good idea to stray from the DVD Movie Standard. Otherwise in a few years you find yourself with a large collection of:

• 8 track tapes
  • BetaMax tapes
  • LaserDiscs

I renamed the .vob files as suggested, but when I opened VideoWave, clicked on "Add Photo/Video" and tried to add the files, I got an error message "One or more of the files you are trying to add cannot be edited and have not been added". I tried previewing the files, which are clearly shown as mpeg files, but without success. I have tried running the renamed files in Windows Media Player and another media player I have installed, and they run perfectly. Any idea why VideoWave won't accept them?

Archived