Registry recreation

Zeeman

Question

I had to replace my hard drive and am about to use the backup I created with Backup MyPC 2006 Delux. When I restore the various software to the program files subdirectory, how does the registry get updated? I don't want to use the backed up registry since I think it is corrupted.

3 answers to this question

Zeeman,

It depends what sort of backups you are hoping to restore from.

In a full hard drive backup (disaster recovery set), the whole drive including the registry is restored to its original state. This is necessary because the registry holds all the settings and paths for all the installed software.

If you 'backed up the system state' you will get the whole set of

The boot files

The COM+ class registration database

The registry

Event logs

System files

Because of dependencies among the System State components, these components, or files, cannot be individually backed up and restored.

If you're wanting to restore from any other type of backup, please see your online help file which should have a section "Restoring all your files after a hard drive failure" or similar, and be guided by that.

Regards,

Brendon

Brandon,

Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to avoid a full restore. I suspect that the backed up registry was corrupted. I have reinstaled Windows which is working fine, and can recreate the desktop. Basically, all I want to do is reinstall all programs, MS Office, graphics programs, utilities, etc. Everything that was in the program files subdirectory, the common files directory. and some data files that I had in a different subdirectory. Can this be done? Will the registry recreate itself when I open each of the programs?

Zeeman

Brandon,

Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to avoid a full restore. I suspect that the backed up registry was corrupted. I have reinstaled Windows which is working fine, and can recreate the desktop. Basically, all I want to do is reinstall all programs, MS Office, graphics programs, utilities, etc. Everything that was in the program files subdirectory, the common files directory. and some data files that I had in a different subdirectory. Can this be done? Will the registry recreate itself when I open each of the programs?

Zeeman

Without doing a full restore, you can not rebuild how everything was installed on the system. The registry is a major part of an installed application, along with specific files, directories, and modules in the windows directories.

The best you can do is restore only data files you need, and reinstall those applications you want.

Archived