• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

problems with leopard

roxikemike

Question

the dvd burns. the dvd mounts. the computer can only read folders on the dvd-- no files.

i'm using a powerbook g4, running leopard.

with tiger, i burned dvds with finder.

in leopard, the finder doesn't recognize blank dvds.

i read on a discussion group that this was a bug with leopard, and that dvd burning worked with toast.

does anyone else have any experience with problems like this?

please help.

thanks...

9 answers to this question

the dvd burns. the dvd mounts. the computer can only read folders on the dvd-- no files.

i'm using a powerbook g4, running leopard.

with tiger, i burned dvds with finder.

in leopard, the finder doesn't recognize blank dvds.

i read on a discussion group that this was a bug with leopard, and that dvd burning worked with toast.

does anyone else have any experience with problems like this?

please help.

thanks...

I'm having a similar problem. Haven't completed a single DVD burn yet. Leopard / Toast 8.0.2 MTR, then, tried to drag the resulting file to Toast. I get a Medium Error at the very end of the burn, during creation of the lead out. I have used single and double layer media. Also, spanned across two discs same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Pete

I'm having a similar problem. Haven't completed a single DVD burn yet. Leopard / Toast 8.0.2 MTR, then, tried to drag the resulting file to Toast. I get a Medium Error at the very end of the burn, during creation of the lead out. I have used single and double layer media. Also, spanned across two discs same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Pete

First thing to do is update to Toast 8.0.3 which is Leopard compatible.

What Media are you using?

Pete, I'm pleased you were able to successfully able to burn the DVD. Cheap media is a real problem especially with Apple's Superdrives. As for DL media, the only ones that seem to work reliably are Verbatim DVD+R DL discs. If you have an OfficeMax near you they generally stock these. When your budget allows this I suggest getting a Firewire external DVD drive to use instead of the built-in Superdrive.

A good tip to reduce the chance of bad burns is to choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu instead of clicking the burn button. When that is finished select the disc image using the Image File setting in the Copy window to burn your disc. This is the way I do it.

As for making backups of commercial DVDs the law isn't on your side. It is unlawful in the U.S. and many other countries to defeat copy protection on copyrighted materials. This means ripping DVDs is unlawful. So is driving over the speed limit. Both get you fined or worse if you're caught (depending on the severity of the violation). It comes down to a matter of conscience and a willingness to risk punishment.

If you do decide to do this make certain your kids do not lend those copied DVDs to the friends or allow anyone else to copy them. That's where my sense of fairness lies. If you keep it to yourself (or within your home) that's one thing, but enabling others to have copyrighted materials they didn't pay for is entirely something else.

Thank you both for your kind replies.

I do believe I'll follow that advice on the external FW burner. A lot to learn here, and at the MTR forums!

Good Media! I have some Verbatim DL's.

Thanks too for the copying advice. I agree with you, Tsantee!

That's a beautiful (AH?) in your avatar. I'm trying my memory, is that a 3000?

British cars. I drove many Jags, and MG's. I have a 71 E-Type in my garage. (Hasn't been driven due to my injury). I know, not good for the car!

Those were the days!

Be Well, thanks again for your kind help!

pete

That's a beautiful (AH?) in your avatar. I'm trying my memory, is that a 3000?

British cars. I drove many Jags, and MG's. I have a 71 E-Type in my garage. (Hasn't been driven due to my injury). I know, not good for the car!

Those were the days!

Be Well, thanks again for your kind help!

pete

Glad you like the Healey and are a British sports car owner. Mine is a '58 Austin-Healey 100-6. The "100" represented that stock Healeys could go 100 mph when they were introduced in 1952. The "6" is the number of cylinders as the original Healey 100s had 4 cylinders. Later in 1959 they increased the 6-cylinder motor to 3000cc and started calling them the 3000. We've owned our Healey since 1972.

My motto is that any day I drive the Healey is a good day. If things get too tough for you go out and sit in the Jag if you can. Your day will be better after that, guaranteed.

First thing to do is update to Toast 8.0.3 which is Leopard compatible.

What Media are you using?

Some cheap media, and some good (I think) verbatim. Yes, I have 8.0.3, and Leopard is updated as well.

New iMac.

I was able to accomplish a perfect burn, but I didn't make a note of the exact steps I took.

I'm so incredibly annoyed by having to buy new DVD's, that one of my children scratch, or was it their friend, Mom doesn't know? Am I doing something illegal by making a backup?

I don't want to break any laws, and the backups are only for my use! (Some of these discs you can't even always buy, like Toy Story, for example). I have no interest in distribution, or any foolishness like that! Just tired of buying several DVD's of the same title!) Well, I'm sure you may have heard this before.

It seems to me, that I had to delete some files, before I burned, but since my disability includes a minor head injury, I can't recall exactly what I did.

Oh well, it may be just learn on the cheap discs, and, that is what the successful burn was on. DL too!

Thanks for your kindness, and

Happy New Year to all!

Pete

Some cheap media, and some good (I think) verbatim. Yes, I have 8.0.3, and Leopard is updated as well.

New iMac.

I was able to accomplish a perfect burn, but I didn't make a note of the exact steps I took.

I'm so incredibly annoyed by having to buy new DVD's, that one of my children scratch, or was it their friend, Mom doesn't know? Am I doing something illegal by making a backup?

I don't want to break any laws, and the backups are only for my use! (Some of these discs you can't even always buy, like Toy Story, for example). I have no interest in distribution, or any foolishness like that! Just tired of buying several DVD's of the same title!) Well, I'm sure you may have heard this before.

It seems to me, that I had to delete some files, before I burned, but since my disability includes a minor head injury, I can't recall exactly what I did.

Oh well, it may be just learn on the cheap discs, and, that is what the successful burn was on. DL too!

Thanks for your kindness, and

Happy New Year to all!

Pete

For backing up your DVDs, go to RipDifferent.com and register if you haven't already and learn a lot about Backing up what you own.

Pete, I'm pleased you were able to successfully able to burn the DVD. Cheap media is a real problem especially with Apple's Superdrives. As for DL media, the only ones that seem to work reliably are Verbatim DVD+R DL discs. If you have an OfficeMax near you they generally stock these. When your budget allows this I suggest getting a Firewire external DVD drive to use instead of the built-in Superdrive.

A good tip to reduce the chance of bad burns is to choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu instead of clicking the burn button. When that is finished select the disc image using the Image File setting in the Copy window to burn your disc. This is the way I do it.

As for making backups of commercial DVDs the law isn't on your side. It is unlawful in the U.S. and many other countries to defeat copy protection on copyrighted materials. This means ripping DVDs is unlawful. So is driving over the speed limit. Both get you fined or worse if you're caught (depending on the severity of the violation). It comes down to a matter of conscience and a willingness to risk punishment.

If you do decide to do this make certain your kids do not lend those copied DVDs to the friends or allow anyone else to copy them. That's where my sense of fairness lies. If you keep it to yourself (or within your home) that's one thing, but enabling others to have copyrighted materials they didn't pay for is entirely something else.

Glad you like the Healey and are a British sports car owner. Mine is a '58 Austin-Healey 100-6. The "100" represented that stock Healeys could go 100 mph when they were introduced in 1952. The "6" is the number of cylinders as the original Healey 100s had 4 cylinders. Later in 1959 they increased the 6-cylinder motor to 3000cc and started calling them the 3000. We've owned our Healey since 1972.

My motto is that any day I drive the Healey is a good day. If things get too tough for you go out and sit in the Jag if you can. Your day will be better after that, guaranteed.

Thank you, Kind Sir, for the education, and the motto!

That sure sounds good to me!

(It'll be a year or more before I can get 'er on the road again)...

Be Safe and Happy this year!

Pete

Since this is a problem when burning with the Finder I suggest checking Apple's discussion forums for additional information or contacting Apple's tech support. Some possibilities I can think of are a system problem that can either be fixed by downloading and applying the combined system updater or by reinstalling the system; defective DVD media (try a different brand); or problem with the DVD drive.

I have no trouble burning DVDs with Toast in Leopard. But I don't know if the trouble you're having might also result in problems when using Toast.

Archived