Trouble copying a DVD

BestNana

Question

I hope someone can help me. I bought a new computer (Dell Inspiron 530) and Roxio Easy Media Creator 9. I am VERY new to this sort of thing. I have successfully copied 2 audio CDs and am trying to make a backup copy of a DVD that I purchased. I have two drives (1 CD/DVD combo and 1 DVD burner). I get as far as telling the program to copy to the burner drive (I have already inserted a blank Memorex DVD+RW disc) and when I click on the button to burn, my blank disc is ejected and I get a message telling me to insert a disc (it gives several options) and the disc I have inserted should be appropriate.

Aren't the DVD discs already formatted or do I need to download something from Memorex?

I realize this is such a fundamental question that it may seem ridiculous to some, but as I said, it is new to me.

Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

6 answers to this question

Roxio software will NOT backup a commercial DVD. They are encrypted and protected, and it is illegal to supply software or help people to break those protections.

So, is this the reason for this error message that the disc needs to be cleaned?

I got it to write a temporary to the hard drive in prep for writing.......I then got this message:

There was an error writing your image to your hard drive. Please make sure you have 3.4 GB free on any one of your hard drives, then try the copy again.

It seems if it were because the DVD was protected that the message would be regarding protection???

I agree about the "law" ...I just want a back up so that I don't have to worry if someone wants to borrow them.......

BestNana,

Roxio software will NOT backup a commercial DVD. They are encrypted and protected, and it is illegal to supply software or help people to break those protections. I personally disagree with that law, but it is the law. :(

Regards,

Brendon

So, is this the reason for this error message that the disc needs to be cleaned?

I got it to write a temporary to the hard drive in prep for writing.......I then got this message:

There was an error writing your image to your hard drive. Please make sure you have 3.4 GB free on any one of your hard drives, then try the copy again.

It seems if it were because the DVD was protected that the message would be regarding protection???

I agree about the "law" ...I just want a back up so that I don't have to worry if someone wants to borrow them.......

The protection is unreadable sectors, but all Windows knows is that the drive can't read the disc properly so that's why you don't get a message regarding protection, just a message to try cleaning the disc.

I understand that you just want a backup of your commercial DVD, but Roxio software isn't allowed to do that for you. This isn't Roxio's choice. I'm sure that if it was legal, they'd be happily selling programs which could do that.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived