• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Disc Catalog crashes in Leopard

giselle

Question

When I first installed Toast on my Mac I had Tigher on and everything worked fine, doanloaded update for Toast, Disc catalog still fine, upgraded Tiger to Leopard, Disc Catalog still working fine.

Decided to do a clean installation of Leopard at a later stage as I do not like to upgrade operating systems I prefer a clean install, after the clean install Disc Catalog keeps on crashing, even after updating Toast. All the other apps work fine just Disc Catalog that do not want to work after clean install.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

9 answers to this question

Toast 803 still crashes when ejecting a CDR under Leopard 10.5.2

Eject works then the DCMaker comes up and freezes the entire computer. I'm not going to use Toast anymore because its been since 10.5.1 and still no fix.

Powering down the computer is not an acceptable counter measure.

Toast and optical burning is getting out dated anyway.

Time to think about the future and new alternatives.

If update and acknowledgement would be quick then I would understand. No it is not a Leopard issue its a programming issue on Roxio's part. Apple designs the OS and third party vendors have to conform.

here's a snipit from the Console log:

[59] kCGErrorFailure: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Toast Titanium" for over 1 second. Server has re-enabled them.

On Friday I took my Mac in for an upgrade, I added 2 Gig of ram ( 3 Gig total now ), replaced nVidia 7300 graphics card ith ATI 1900 XT and added a 250 Gig hard drive. After this Disc Catalog works in Leopard, no more crashes. Think the memory must have don the trick.

:angry: Can't be the ram... I have 4 gig in my brand new MacBook and Disc Catalog still fails to run on a brand new computer with Leopard. I think this is a problem in general. Roxio has been no help! Every other extra runs and works fine!

Thanks for the advice, can not find the plist file for Disk Catalog, installed the 10.51 update again, still no success, removed toast and reinstalled, sill no success.

But thanks for the advice

Freddie

The name of the plist file is com.mac.fujisoft.DiskCatalogMaker.plist. If it isn't present then the application never got far enough in launching to write it. Try booting in safe mode and see if it launches then.

:angry: Can't be the ram... I have 4 gig in my brand new MacBook and Disc Catalog still fails to run on a brand new computer with Leopard. I think this is a problem in general. Roxio has been no help! Every other extra runs and works fine!

DCM also crashes for me, on my brand new, very clean, 4GB iMac. The not very helpful reply from Roxio (which took a week to receive) was as follows:

1)

Apply the latest updates to your version of the Mac OS via 'Software Update' in 'System Preferences'.

2)

Confirm you have the latest Toast updates.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/toast/software_updates.html

3)

Delete the 'Roxio Toast Prefs' file and the 'com.roxio.Toast.plist' file from this location: /Library/Preferences/

4)

Look for third party QuickTime plugins in the QuickTime folder

User>Library>QuickTime and HD>Library>QuickTime

Items to watch out for are: XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component , this item has been reported as preventing toast from launching, just delete it.

Also there is a known issue with a 3rd party plugin for QuickTime called Perian. If the cust is using it, make sure they upgrade to the most recent version.

5)

Unplug any external USB and Firewire devices (except keyboard and mouse).

6)

If upgrading or updating, place your old version of Toast (but NOT Jam if you own it) in the trash and make sure it is not running before installing your new version of Toast.

7)

Repair disk permissions using Apple Disk Utility.

8)

You may be launching Toast from the installer (.DMG) file.

Drag and drop all of your Toast components to your hard drive, then eject the .DMG file and try launching again.

None of these things work; most of them don't even apply. This despite providing a full crash log and explanation. As DCM was actually one of the features that appealed to me most about Toast, I'm none too pleased (and completely unimpressed by the service I've received so far).

IMPORTANT

I noticed somewhere on this site a comment from someone saying that DiscCatalogMaker isn't actually a Roxio app - true. The actual site is here: http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA008942/li...logmaker/#about . I just downloaded the latest version from there and installed it over top of the version that comes in the Roxio download; this version (from November, two months before I bought my copy of Toast from Roxio's online store) launches perfectly and (after two minutes of using it) seems to be working just fine. It would be nice if Roxio bothered to care about keeping the things they sell people up to date.

On Friday I took my Mac in for an upgrade, I added 2 Gig of ram ( 3 Gig total now ), replaced nVidia 7300 graphics card ith ATI 1900 XT and added a 250 Gig hard drive. After this Disc Catalog works in Leopard, no more crashes. Think the memory must have don the trick.

The name of the plist file is com.mac.fujisoft.DiskCatalogMaker.plist. If it isn't present then the application never got far enough in launching to write it. Try booting in safe mode and see if it launches then.

Unfortunately, it appears Disc Catalog is broken in Leopard 10.5.1 - no amount of trashing plist's, re-installing, praying, or screaming appears to make it work. Where's Toast 8.0.4????? I'd like to have my Disc Catalog back; it's almost as useful as Toast itself, especially if you have a couple hundred custom data DVD discs cataloged already. Toast 8.0.3 works fine under Leopard; I've burned CDs and DVDs and ripped both audio and video since 10.5.1 - it's just Disc Catalog.....

Try deleting Disc Catalog's plist file from your user>library>preferences folder. Otherwise, consider downloading and applying the appropriate Combined System Update from Apple on top of your existing System install. I don't know if either of these will fix the problem but they might and can do no harm.

Archived