What are the big differences between mydvd 9 and 10?

justin860

Question

9 answers to this question

What are the big differences between mydvd 9 and 10?

The one question that I am very curious about in mydvd 9 compared to mydvd 10 is about the encoding time.

My EMC 8 MyDVD was very very very slow in encoding .flv files to DVD files. I had purchased EMC 10, but was disapointed that disc copier had changed to video copy & convert and that there was no more DVDinfo Pro available. so I got a refund and am going to purchase EMC 9 because of those reasons. The only thing that I am concerned about is the encoding speed of MyDVD in EMC 9. How does it compare to EMC 8 and EMC 10?

It seemed as though MyDVD in EMC 8 encoded in real time or even slower than real time. In EMC 10 it seemed as though it cut the encoding time at least in half. I hope it's the same as 10 or pretty close.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Encoding speed probably hasn't changed much. Since you are going from a highly compress flash video, don't expect the video to be high quality. Those files must be uncompressed and then recompressed to MPEG 2.

Thanks for your reply ggrussell. I actually made a mistake on the input format. It originally was .flv, but I encoded it to a .avi file type with a different program since roxio doesn't support .flv files for MyDVD. You are right that the quality isn't the greatest, but the content that I am re-encoding from the internet are just lectures and sermons. When you say that the "encoding speed probably hasn't changed much", I guess you were referring to ECM 10 and not ECM 8, since there is a vast difference between 8 & 10.

Yes, I was talking about EMC 10. Your encoding speed from AVI to MPEG 2 will still depend on what type of AVI. AVI is just a container which allows many types of compression. If your other program can convert flash video directly to MPEG 2, you would be much better off and not lose as much quality from re-encoding a second time. Keep the bitrate 3Mbps or higher and Videowave/MyDVD should not re-encode those files.

Archived