Divx/Xvid files

JOhn O

Question

I have Roxio 7x. I have some movies that I would like to watch on my PC but when they are downloaded they are Xvid or Divx files, although the extension says avi. When I look at them in The Video program I get a circle with a red X in the middle.

Do I need a later version of Roxio to watch these movies?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

I have Roxio 7x. I have some movies that I would like to watch on my PC but when they are downloaded they are Xvid or Divx files, although the extension says avi. When I look at them in The Video program I get a circle with a red X in the middle.

Do I need a later version of Roxio to watch these movies?

Thanks

More than likely you need the proper codec. There are many types of avi files such as divx and xvid which require the right codec. If they play in Windows Media Player, Roxio should be able to work with them. However, I can't recall if the earlier version of 7 worked with divx though I'm relatively sure it should. If you have the Basic version or OEM version, than you're out of luck.

More than likely you need the proper codec. There are many types of avi files such as divx and xvid which require the right codec. If they play in Windows Media Player, Roxio should be able to work with them. However, I can't recall if the earlier version of 7 worked with divx though I'm relatively sure it should. If you have the Basic version or OEM version, than you're out of luck.

Since you want to watch and not edit, you may get along fine with the free DivX player.

JOhn O,

An AVI is a container file into which is put video that has been compressed by codecs such as XviD, DivX, IV51, and so on.

To view these you need a filter which will decompress them again. The DivX player mentioned by Sknis installs a codec which will decompress both DivX and XviD AVIs, and provides a nice player.

The XviD codec mentioned by gi7omy will decompress them too, although it is not as developed as the DivX one.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived