Splitting / Cutting video

StanM

Question

Been using EMC 9 for a while now with very good success thanks to good old experimentation and reading this forum. One thing that has bothered me and I haven't been able to fully resolve is cutting video. I seem to have a hard time cutting it exactly where I want. Generally get it pretty close, but would like to perfect technique. I run video to approximate location then use either wheel or forward/back frame button. I cut the video and watch it only to see it is sometimes several frames from where I wanted it cut.

Thanks. Stan

6 answers to this question

Thanks to all. VideoReDo is beautiful for precise cuts! Took less than 10 minutes to do in VideoReDo what took about an hour in VW. Although I didn't like the "ta da's" at the end of saving a file. Maybe my equipment isn't powerful enough for good results with VideoWave. VideoReDo responded instantly to commands issued, with no lag as in VW. Is there a down side to VideoReDo other than the .avi's? That issue is somewhat significant since I transfer from my video cam into .avi.

I don't do much editing of TV shows. But it found commercials very accurately with no tweaking of parameters.

Also learned a few things about the frame codes. Yikes, deeper than I need (want?) to go at this point. But interesting nonetheless.

Thanks, again.

Thanks to all. VideoReDo is beautiful for precise cuts! Took less than 10 minutes to do in VideoReDo what took about an hour in VW. Although I didn't like the "ta da's" at the end of saving a file. Maybe my equipment isn't powerful enough for good results with VideoWave. VideoReDo responded instantly to commands issued, with no lag as in VW. Is there a down side to VideoReDo other than the .avi's? That issue is somewhat significant since I transfer from my video cam into .avi.

I don't do much editing of TV shows. But it found commercials very accurately with no tweaking of parameters.

Also learned a few things about the frame codes. Yikes, deeper than I need (want?) to go at this point. But interesting nonetheless.

Thanks, again.

On a one hour show, VideoReDo usually misses 1 set of commercials but that's easily corrected if you want to tweak it. It still much easier to use their 'Ad Detective' to root out the commercials than doing it by hand.

Been using EMC 9 for a while now with very good success thanks to good old experimentation and reading this forum. One thing that has bothered me and I haven't been able to fully resolve is cutting video. I seem to have a hard time cutting it exactly where I want. Generally get it pretty close, but would like to perfect technique. I run video to approximate location then use either wheel or forward/back frame button. I cut the video and watch it only to see it is sometimes several frames from where I wanted it cut.

Thanks. Stan

Stan

There is a Great little Utility Program out there called VIDEO REDO and you may want to google it and read about it. I had the base program and loved it and i just stepped up to VIDEO REDO SUITE and love it even more. I can cut at very precise locations and I can join and I can do so much. Read about it and see if it is what you are looking for. It will marry with Roxio beautifully.

I too am a fan and user of VideoReDo but for those who don't want to spend the extra money (and save time) Videowave can do basically the same thing. VideoReDo is simply a cutting program that does not re-encode. The Suite is newer and adds some authoring and dvd burning but is very simple.

What VideoReDo adds is really for TV captures as it can read where the commercials start and finish and automate some of the process. It's pretty accurate too. Videowave involves more hands on but allows you to fine tune cutting more precisely with the jog bar and motion tools. It takes some practice and patience. I find VW works faster with avi files and slower with mpeg files while VideoReDo will not work with avi files (not sure if the Suite added this functionality but VideoReDo has always been about mpeg files.

Wingwiper is correct, it's great to have it in your arsenal if you don't mind spending some money. TMPGEnc Mpeg Editor is another fine tool that's similar to VideoReDo.

I too am a fan and user of VideoReDo but for those who don't want to spend the extra money (and save time) Videowave can do basically the same thing. VideoReDo is simply a cutting program that does not re-encode. The Suite is newer and adds some authoring and dvd burning but is very simple.

What VideoReDo adds is really for TV captures as it can read where the commercials start and finish and automate some of the process. It's pretty accurate too. Videowave involves more hands on but allows you to fine tune cutting more precisely with the jog bar and motion tools. It takes some practice and patience. I find VW works faster with avi files and slower with mpeg files while VideoReDo will not work with avi files (not sure if the Suite added this functionality but VideoReDo has always been about mpeg files.

Wingwiper is correct, it's great to have it in your arsenal if you don't mind spending some money. TMPGEnc Mpeg Editor is another fine tool that's similar to VideoReDo.

Too bad it doesn't work with .avi files, although, VideoWave doesn't slow down with .avi files, when editing them.

Thanks. Stan

Another possibility is that the cut occurs at the nearest I-frame (keyframe). Depending on the format and compression of the file that may not be exactly the frame you select, which might be an intermediate P- or B- frame. GSpot can show which are the I- and P-frames and tells you how many frames there are between I frames. I'm not sure that Videowave is designed that way, though. Maybe someone else knows?

One definition of I and P frames is here:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/I_frame.html

Archived