Sign in to follow this  
red_terror

Platinum 5: Drive Not Seen As A Dvd Burner

I just upgraded to 5 Platinum. The program will see the drive as a CD burner but not a DVD burner. I updated Roxio to latest patches as well as updating the firmware of the drive. It is listed as: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B under XP. Any ideas to get it to work?

Hello Red Terror,

The TS-H552B is NOT known to Easy CD Creator 5 for burning purposes, but the TS-H552A was added to the recognition table by update 535U.

If you're up to the latest (535V) you could try a small registry edit, and hijack the 5225A's entry in the table. It's very simple, watch this. . . .

-Run regedit.exe

-ctrl-F (find) "device299" (without the quotes) The first one found should be a Philips drive. Press F3 (find again)

-the next device299 should be the entry for the 5225A

"TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552A,TSSTcorp,CD/DVDW TS-H552A,DVD+-R/RW,cdrmmc.drv,178,,9"

-Click on the device299 name, and an edit box will open with that entry ready for editing.

-carefully edit H5225A in both places where it appears, to read H5225B. If you mess up, press ESC and start the edit again.

-click OK to complete the edit, and then exit out of regedit.

That's it - you've grabbed the 5225A entry, and your 5225B should now be "recognized" by Creator and Disc Copier. Direct CD uses a different scheme so you won't have Direct CD, but that is no loss.

thanks, i will try it when i get home. on another note, does Easy Media 8 support this same drive? is there an advantage in going to 8.0?

Starting with EMC 7 (including 7, 7.5, and 8), the program queries the drive about its capacities, rather than having a list of drives and how to recognize them. So yes, it will recognize your drive.

However, you need a minimum of WinXP SP1 or Win2000 SP4 to be able to use any of those newer programs.

If you have WinXP, and only want to make Music CDs and Data CDs, WinXP can do it.j

BTW - you say you want the drive recognized as a DVD burner by ECDC 5. I hope you are thinking of a Data DVD, because ECDC 5 can't do DVD Video.

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109

huh? can XP do DVD data burning?

No, WinXP is limited to CDs.

However, if you want to do Video DVDs, you will have to upgrade your software - ECDC 5 only does Data DVDs.

Lynn

oh sweet, the registry trick worked. thanks. how did u come up w/it?

Curiosity, and many many wasted hours pulling programs apart. :)

Curiosity, and many many wasted hours pulling programs apart. :)

People told me that all the hours I spend joy-riding busses and learnining the bus system were wasted.

Later, when I as an activist I told Metro where to go and that was how they re-routed the bus, a different group of people were very impressed with what I'd learned.

Lynn