Capturing directly to a Seagate External Hard Drive

Gatsby

Question

I just purchased a Seagate hard drive 250 GB - Free Agent - NOT Free Agent Pro - to use as space to capture the raw footage from a DV video camera. I then plan to edit and write to DVD's so I do not expect to leave the raw footage on the external hard drive for long period of time. I want to attach the camera via firewire, and the external hard drive to the USB 2 port. I have had no problems capturing from the video camera to my main hard drive in DV-AVI format; I just don't have enough room. Am I able to capture and send it right to the external hard drive without losing any data, or ending up with jumpy video? Is there a certain minimum transfer rate or write spped that I need for the external hard drive? (I did not open the box yet, so I can exchange it for a different one if I need to).

Also, do I have enough memeory to perform these procedures?

Here are my computer particulars:

Qosmio G25-AV513 Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology featuring Intel ® Pentium® M processor 760 [2.00GHz, 2MB L2 cache,533MHz FSB], 1024MB (2x512MB) DDR SDRAM, 120GB HDD [60GB HDD (5400RPM) + 60GB HDD (5400RPM)], 17” WXGA+, DVD SuperMulti

Double Layer, 802.11a/b/g, • NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6 GO 6600 with 128MB DDR SDRAM, VRAM o PCI Express x16 interface• Internal LCD Support Resolution - 1440 x 900 WXGA+

Bluetooth® Version 2.0, Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005, TV Tuner,

TOSHIBA QosmioPlayer • Mobile Intel 915PM Express Chipset • Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2915ABG Mini (802.11a/b/g)

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name (deleted)

System Manufacturer TOSHIBA

System Model Qosmio G25

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1994 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA Version 1.30, 6/22/2005

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 369.13 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 2.41 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thank you for any responses. :)

I'm sure there must be a lot of external drives that are formatted Fat32, but I think you are right Jim in the fact that just about all of them are now NTFS. Seems to me that a long time ago we had a thread that was discussing the good, bad and ugly about the difference between Fat32 and NTFS. And as I remember there were several posts indicating Fat32 was better.

The OP just needs some additional Memory and maybe a faster processor as has already been suggested, but I think he can make it work with the Free Agent drive. Maybe he will come back and let us know <_<

Frank...

FAT32 better than what? FAT7???

Memory will do absolutely nothing for capture! Capture is Firewire to CPU to HD, no memory is needed beyond the device buffers.

Of course memory helps with editing but with 1 hour of video equal to at least 4gb, it is hard to get enough memory to handle that! It is going to have to rely heavily on the Swap File.

Couldn't get any specific info on Seagate's site – must be a secret…

I think it will be NTFS in that it is a 250gb drive.

I like Firewire, it has always done just what it said it could! But Firewire is Apple technology so MS invented USB… It should be OK for you, but my External is both Firewire and USB2. In spite of USB2 being faster on paper, Firewire beats it out on every test, every time…

UPDATE from GATSBY (OP):

I changed to a Seagate Free Agent Pro 500 GB external HD. I did a 5 mintue test capture (MediaImport) of video directly from my Canon DVC via firewire into my computer and saved directly to the Seagate, attached via USB 2. It worked with no problems (except the first time I tried, MediaImport locked up. I then rebootied.) There seemed to be jumpiness here and there as I watched the video being captured, especially when the camera was panning, but when I ended the capture and opened the DI-AVI clip up in Videowave (with no problem), the video looked fine, just like the original (albiet on the small screen within Videowave). Vidoewave split the video up into chapters at appropriate scene changes in the clip. I have not yet burned anything yet, so I need to go through the whole process. I have been a bit ill, so I have not been able to do much.

The next issue is whether capturing an hour or more of video, editing it in Videowave, and burning it via MyDVD, etc, will change the otherwise successful results. I will try to run a full size capture next and go through the whole process. I am concerned about locking up, as I had that problem at first, but I would not think that would be caused by capturing directly to an external dive. (?)

First off, if I'm not mistaken, all of the Seagate External Free Agent HD's are all formatted NTFS and not FAT32.

I have a Seagate Free Agent 500GB external HD cabled to my computer via USB 2.0 (It also has Firewire & SATA options). Just as a test, I grabbed my Sony DCR HC36 camcorder and cabled it to my computer using a Firewire cable. Brought up EMC 9 Capture program, clicked on the Video (tab) and it recognized my camera (I knew that it would). Then I "browsed" to a folder on my External Seagate HD and started the capture.

That worked fine with no problems. So my suggestion to the OP is to use EMC 9 or 10 capture program, hook your camcorder to your computer via a firewire cable, hook your Seagate HD to your computer using a USB 2.0 cable, open up EMC 9 Capture program and "browse" and choose a location or folder on your Seagate external HD as the capture location and go for it. It should work fine. At least mine did. I was using EMC 9, but I'm sure EMC 10 would have worked just fine also had I used it.

Frank...

UPDATE from GATSBY (OP):

I changed to a Seagate Free Agent Pro 500 GB external HD. I did a 5 mintue test capture (MediaImport) of video directly from my Canon DVC via firewire into my computer and saved directly to the Seagate, attached via USB 2. It worked with no problems (except the first time I tried, MediaImport locked up. I then rebootied.) There seemed to be jumpiness here and there as I watched the video being captured, especially when the camera was panning, but when I ended the capture and opened the DI-AVI clip up in Videowave (with no problem), the video looked fine, just like the original (albiet on the small screen within Videowave). Vidoewave split the video up into chapters at appropriate scene changes in the clip. I have not yet burned anything yet, so I need to go through the whole process. I have been a bit ill, so I have not been able to do much.

The next issue is whether capturing an hour or more of video, editing it in Videowave, and burning it via MyDVD, etc, will change the otherwise successful results. I will try to run a full size capture next and go through the whole process. I am concerned about locking up, as I had that problem at first, but I would not think that would be caused by capturing directly to an external dive. (?)

Don't worry about any jumpiness on the video while capturing as that is pretty normal. I am sure not every frame is displayed as it captures. You can play back the avi file through WMP full screen instead of Videowave to get a better idea on how good the capture was.

Instead of capturing the whole tape in one long capture, I would recommend capturing in 10-15 minute segments. The resulting shorter clips are much easier to edit with videowave. You could also just capture these shorter clips to your PC and then later move those clips to the external drive. That is what I do and so don't have to worry about any concerns about "real-time" transfer of the video to the external drive.

I just purchased a Seagate hard drive 250 GB - Free Agent - NOT Free Agent Pro - to use as space to capture the raw footage from a DV video camera. I then plan to edit and write to DVD's so I do not expect to leave the raw footage on the external hard drive for long period of time. I want to attach the camera via firewire, and the external hard drive to the USB 2 port. I have had no problems capturing from the video camera to my main hard drive in DV-AVI format; I just don't have enough room. Am I able to capture and send it right to the external hard drive without losing any data, or ending up with jumpy video? Is there a certain minimum transfer rate or write spped that I need for the external hard drive? (I did not open the box yet, so I can exchange it for a different one if I need to).

Also, do I have enough memeory to perform these procedures?

Here are my computer particulars:

Qosmio G25-AV513 Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology featuring Intel ® Pentium® M processor 760 [2.00GHz, 2MB L2 cache,533MHz FSB], 1024MB (2x512MB) DDR SDRAM, 120GB HDD [60GB HDD (5400RPM) + 60GB HDD (5400RPM)], 17” WXGA+, DVD SuperMulti

Double Layer, 802.11a/b/g, • NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6 GO 6600 with 128MB DDR SDRAM, VRAM o PCI Express x16 interface• Internal LCD Support Resolution - 1440 x 900 WXGA+

Bluetooth® Version 2.0, Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005, TV Tuner,

TOSHIBA QosmioPlayer • Mobile Intel 915PM Express Chipset • Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2915ABG Mini (802.11a/b/g)

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name (deleted)

System Manufacturer TOSHIBA

System Model Qosmio G25

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1994 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA Version 1.30, 6/22/2005

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 369.13 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 2.41 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thank you for any responses. :)

You are far better off capturing to an internal hard drive, then moving that captured file to the external drive. You will no doubt have problems capturing to the external.

Don't worry about any jumpiness on the video while capturing as that is pretty normal. I am sure not every frame is displayed as it captures. You can play back the avi file through WMP full screen instead of Videowave to get a better idea on how good the capture was.

Instead of capturing the whole tape in one long capture, I would recommend capturing in 10-15 minute segments. The resulting shorter clips are much easier to edit with videowave. You could also just capture these shorter clips to your PC and then later move those clips to the external drive. That is what I do and so don't have to worry about any concerns about "real-time" transfer of the video to the external drive.

Thnak you!!! :) I'll try that. While I have done some editing, I have not worked with separate clips and then stiched them together. Most of my video are my kids, so an hour's worth of video may be from 5 or 6 different events. I can just capture each event or two as separate clips, edit them in Videowave, stitch them together, go to MyDVD and create chapters and burn.

You are far better off capturing to an internal hard drive, then moving that captured file to the external drive. You will no doubt have problems capturing to the external.

I don't think I have the space. My hard drive is divided into two 60 GB drives (see my computer's specs), and I don't know if I can clear off enough space on "D" drive. I have some two hour plus videos on tape that will take up a lot of space as DV-AVI files. If I were to clear one of the 60 GB drives - the "D" drive - would that give me enough space to hold 2 hour DV-AVI file? If so, can I then transfer it to the external hard drive for editing via Videowave and completing and burning with My DVD? Or would I be better off leaving it on the "D" drive and edit an burn from there?

Would getting a different external hard drive make a difference? It would be easier to use the external hard drive so I do not have to move things around. I can't just transfer all the "D" drive data to the external hard drive because I need access to data on the hard drive at locations at which I would not have access to the external drive. Would it make a difference if I used a simple capture program such as WINDV?

BTW - Since some of the video is old analog video from a VCR - should I try the Dazzle, which I have but have not used, or just connect my VCR via S- video and RCA audio R/L into my current DVC, which I then connect to the computer via firewire, (I think this is called "pass-through mode") which I have been doing with no problems so far (other than the spece problem).

GPB and I are a little more skeptical, based on experience…

MOST of the automatic type backup HD's have been formatted with FAT32. I searched high and low on Seagate's site and it is a dark secret… You have one, don't guess, LOOK?

Likewise there have been dozens of posts about external drives that cannot keep up with the relentless capture streams.

The OP is not running a state of art PC like yours but I think it can keep up.

Frank: Thanks for looking that up and the pics.

The OP did not want to open the box of the Free Agent in case he would have to take it back…

I would 'guess' that all of the external drives today are NTFS but I can assure you that was not always the case!

I guess I'm an OP. What's an OP?

From this and subsequent messages, I will confirm if it is NTFS. It also appears that memory is an issue in editing, but not capture (at least with my computer's configuration). Is this correct? I am looking into increasing my memory from 1 to 2 mb. Will this make a difference?

Thats how I create my DVDs :)

I use a small free utility called WinDV (do a google search) to capture all my DV tape videos. This little program captures the video into individual files (avi format) based on the time stamp on the tape. Its then easy load each clip edt, etc

I tried that and it worked. For information - to use it to capture to the external drive, I had to manually type in the path. If I tried to use the buttons to go up to "My Computer" to choose my drive with a mouse click, the window was blank. I then tried to manually type in the path, and it worked.

OP -- original poster

I always wondered what that meant! :lol:

Jim,

you were involved in the discussion about FAT32 vs NTFS, remember? The restriction on file size in FAT32 does not prevent well-crafted apps from working well with large datasets. The application just splits the huge file into pieces as it writes - or at least that's my experience.

Gatsby,

moving from 1GB to 2GB could be quite helpful for editing.

Regards,

Brendon

Thnak you!!! :) I'll try that. While I have done some editing, I have not worked with separate clips and then stiched them together. Most of my video are my kids, so an hour's worth of video may be from 5 or 6 different events. I can just capture each event or two as separate clips, edit them in Videowave, stitch them together, go to MyDVD and create chapters and burn.

Thats how I create my DVDs :)

I use a small free utility called WinDV (do a google search) to capture all my DV tape videos. This little program captures the video into individual files (avi format) based on the time stamp on the tape. Its then easy load each clip edt, etc

GPB and I are a little more skeptical, based on experience…

MOST of the automatic type backup HD's have been formatted with FAT32. I searched high and low on Seagate's site and it is a dark secret… You have one, don't guess, LOOK?

Likewise there have been dozens of posts about external drives that cannot keep up with the relentless capture streams.

The OP is not running a state of art PC like yours but I think it can keep up.

You're right about his no so up to date computer Jim. As I suggested before all of Seagates Free Agent External HD's that I know of are formatted NTFS. I know mine is that's for sure and I have a 320 GB one also and it is too. (And I looked a long time ago) I can't look at the OP's drive but my guess is that it is too (NTFS) You have to look pretty hard to find the spec that says what formatting is on each of the drives but it can be found. Attached---My FreeAgent 500GB & Seagate specs showing the NTFS format mode.

Frank...

I'm with James. Format that external NTFS, and give capturing to it a shot. If it doesn't work well, then you can try freeing up enough room on one of your 60GB drives.

One hour of video, captured as an .avi file, will be around 12GB in size.

Sorry, being a newbie, I don't understand James's and your response. I assume that the external hard drive needs to be formatted (or comes formatted). Do you mean I need to format it - or reformat it- a certain way to have a chance for this to work?

Also, are both of you saying this is a potential problem no matter what external drive I use (connected to USB 2 port)? As I have not opened up the box yet; I can exchange it for a different external drive.

Sorry, being a newbie, I don't understand James's and your response. I assume that the external hard drive needs to be formatted (or comes formatted). Do you mean I need to format it - or reformat it- a certain way to have a chance for this to work?

Also, are both of you saying this is a potential problem no matter what external drive I use (connected to USB 2 port)? As I have not opened up the box yet; I can exchange it for a different external drive.

I have never had an external drive. I just purchased an external box that I put an internal Seagate SATA2 drive in. It connects to my computer via firewire or USB. I have mine connected via firewire.

The nice thing about external enclosures is, you can swap out hard drives in the enclosure. With external hard drives, you are stuck with the one drive.

Archived