Sign in to follow this  
blakers

.aiff -> Audiocd: Ok W/ Itunes, Fails W/ Toast

Question

i've toast 7.0.2 installed on osx 10.4.5 on a PowerBook/G4 w/ an external Pioneer DVR106-D writer on the firewire port.

i've captured an audio cassette to hard disk using Audacity 1.3b, and have successfully converted the file to a 528Mb .aiff file.

if i drag the .aiff to iTunes, then burn an audio CD, the process completes without error, and the CD plays in my player perfectly.

if i open the .aiff in Toast, however, and burn an Audio CD, the process completes without err, BUT the burned CD 'stalls' -- either at "Reading ..." or simply at time "0:01" in any/every CD player i've tried.

i've tried repeatedly ... no dice. iTunes always works, Toast never does.

what do i need to do to get Toast to do this?

thanks.

3 answers to this question

In my experience, using AIFF with anything other than OS X native applications can be problematical and I'd suggest capturing your audio as WAV or maybe converting your current file to WAV first with Toast. Audacity is a terrific program but IMO 1.3b isn't ready for primetime and I'd stick to 1.2.4b.

hi,

In my experience, using AIFF with anything other than OS X native applications can be problematical and I'd suggest capturing your audio as WAV or maybe converting your current file to WAV first with Toast. Audacity is a terrific program but IMO 1.3b isn't ready for primetime and I'd stick to 1.2.4b.

hmm ... i'll try exporting the captured data from Audacity as WAV rather than AIFF, but ...

why would AIFF, then, be "ok" with iTunes, but not with Toast? i'd think that Toast would be a bit more capable/robust ...

thx.

i find this odd. Ive never had issues with aiff. ive burned many of my own cds of my own music, and have only used aiff. beats me what the issue could be cause in essence, wav and aiff contain the exact info in a slighly differant container and both need to be formetted for the CDDA format anyway to be burned.

My question for you is, does also happen when you burn wav, mp3, or aac files to audio cds using toast?

Edited by ryan_eads