• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

BSOD Caused by Sonic DLA

janglypop

Question

6 answers to this question

If you don't use them and they're conflicting with other software, they're better uninstalled.

If you go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs you should find that you can uninstall DLA individually. You shouldn't miss it if you haven't been using it to drag and drop files onto CDs.

If you have been using DLA to drag and drop files to your burner, stop right there! Get the contents of any formatted DLA discs read back onto your hard drive before you uninstall DLA, because they might not be readable after the uninstall.

Regards,

Brendon

Sounds like your Packet-Written disc is failing or has failed.

This kind of thing is common with ALL Packet-Writing programs, including but not limited to Sonic's DLA, Roxio's DirectCD and Drag2Disc, Nero's InCD, etc.

That is why Packet-Writing is best used for the originally intended purpose - short-term back-up, and if at all possible, with the original file still on the originating computer. Example: transferring files from one comptuer to another. (Packet-Writing pre-dates Flash drives.)

If you can still salvage your data, I'd suggest you get it off the failing DLA disc(s) and transfer it to a Sessions-based disc, whether using Sonic's Data Disc or WinXP's built-in burning ability (if relevant).

Lynn

Hi my computer crashes frequently caused by DLA (BSOD). I looked on the site but there seem to be no posted fixes. Apparently I need a new installer but can't figure out where to find that. Can anyone help?

Janglypop,

Much information needed, can you supply it please?

What are you doing when you get the BSOD?

How do you know it's caused by DLA?

Are you accessing a DLA disc?

Why do you think you need a new installer?

Do you actually use/need DLA?

Thank you,

Brendon

BSOD happens randomly (or so it seems). Sometimes, although rarely, it happens during normal processing, ie. using iTunes, IE7, Quicken. I use an external backup drive weekly to archive files but this does not seem to cause the problem. It happens more frequently upon Windows startup. First of all the file drvmb.sys (something like that is cited) on BSOD. Searching for that on the internet - Sonic DLA is cited. Secondly when it has happened during a session, Microsoft announces the crash and automatically brings me to a site where the problem is diagnosed - it specifically lists DLA as the culprit and recommends going to Roxio/Sonic to look for software updates.

I do not actively use any of the Sonic software that came pre-installed (as far as I know) and am not sure what it does.

The reason why I suspected I needed a new installer (which could be wrong) is the numerous posts on the discussion board with the same problem to which a tech support person always responds that this is the solution.

Hope that helps and thanks for your time.

Janglypop,

Much information needed, can you supply it please?

What are you doing when you get the BSOD?

How do you know it's caused by DLA?

Are you accessing a DLA disc?

Why do you think you need a new installer?

Do you actually use/need DLA?

Thank you,

Brendon

BSOD happens randomly (or so it seems). Sometimes, although rarely, it happens during normal processing, ie. using iTunes, IE7, Quicken. I use an external backup drive weekly to archive files but this does not seem to cause the problem. It happens more frequently upon Windows startup. First of all the file drvmb.sys (something like that is cited) on BSOD. Searching for that on the internet - Sonic DLA is cited. Secondly when it has happened during a session, Microsoft announces the crash and automatically brings me to a site where the problem is diagnosed - it specifically lists DLA as the culprit and recommends going to Roxio/Sonic to look for software updates.

I do not actively use any of the Sonic software that came pre-installed (as far as I know) and am not sure what it does.

The reason why I suspected I needed a new installer (which could be wrong) is the numerous posts on the discussion board with the same problem to which a tech support person always responds that this is the solution.

Hope that helps and thanks for your time.

What Sonic oem program do you have?.

Archived