countless hours trying to edit my home video clips into chapters and burn

dvds.

my video clips are generally just a few minutes each so i would be able to

put about 40 clips on a dvd. thus, i want chapters for each clip on the

dvd's menu for easy navigation. i think of my (yet to be created) dvd's as

'moving' photo albums.

after dozens upon dozens of hours working on my videos, i have encountered

so many problems at the finishing stages that my work to date is now unusable

and i am going to have to begin again by importing all my dv tapes.

my pc runs vista and i have windows movie maker 6 and roxio easy media

creator/my dvd 9. which program makes more sense for me to use? or, should

i buy another program (which is not a problem)?

i thought a site with so many experts would serve me well right now. thanks

for your advice and direction!

best,

ilana

7 answers to this question

putting the 'how to' aside, based on my needs, should i be creating 'chapters' or 'titles' ?

thanks!

Your choice but think of the audience and how you want other people to navigate to the various videos.

Perhaps a little rethinking about what you want to accomplish will help. Instead of thinking of all the individual videos, consider grouping them in "Titles;"; perhaps by year or occasion ( 2007, 2006, 2005, etc or Vacations or Christmases, or Birthdays, Within each of those groupings, you could have chapters such as Winter 2007, Summer 2007, or just 2007, 2006, etc or Christmas (years), Vacations (years), Birthdays (years)

I know that this will seem the long way around but start with Video Wave. Add each of the videos for a group onto the storyline in order. Using storyline would allow you to rearrange them if you want to by just dragging the block to the correct spot. You can now add color panels between the video blocks and add text to each of those (use the internal track for text). Now you can make the chapters if you wish or make them later. Switch to timeline and add the chapters. Keep the chapters to no more than about 5 or 10. You'll have two chapter pages for each title when you go to MyDVD if you go over 5. Save the project.

Repeat as required for each of the groupings. Now open MyDVD, select the menu you like or make your own. Add each of the projects to the menu. Again stay with 4 or 5 for best results; you can add more on one page but sometimes this screws up the navigation when played on a DVD player.

After you add one of the VideoWave project, right click on it and select the command about chapters. Make them there if you didn't before.

Burn to an ISO file and then copy to a DVD.

If you do it this way, perhaps it will take a second or two longer to get to the right video (as opposed to sifting through 20 or 30 of them) but it will be more user friendly.

Look at the tips and tricks area of EMC 9 forum and read the post about one way of doing it and watch the videos.

thanks VERY much for this information. i will categorize by date (spring 2006, etc).

a follow up question for you...

i have captured one of my mini dv tapes as an avi file using normal mode in roxio media import in emc9. does it make sense to use mydvd or videowave for editing this file to burn on a dvd? since the dvd i want to burn will be a collection of home video clips, i am not interested in adding music or still photos, just the basics -- a menu with chapters, text on the screen to introduce chapters, chapters would be my home videos.

thanks, again, for your direction.

best,

ilana

thanks VERY much for this information. i will categorize by date (spring 2006, etc).

a follow up question for you...

i have captured one of my mini dv tapes as an avi file using normal mode in roxio media import in emc9. does it make sense to use mydvd or videowave for editing this file to burn on a dvd? since the dvd i want to burn will be a collection of home video clips, i am not interested in adding music or still photos, just the basics -- a menu with chapters, text on the screen to introduce chapters, chapters would be my home videos.

thanks, again, for your direction.

best,

ilana

Best you follow the other thread you started for this portion of what your want to do.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...mp;#entry177068

This is a Roxio sponsored discussion board. Roxio does not make Movie Maker 6.

Chapters or Titles?

Titles are Menu Buttons on user interface of a DVD. Generally speaking you click one button it plays and returns. – although that behavior can be altered.

Chapters are normally invisible and selected during Play by the Next or Navigation buttons on the remote. However Chapters can also have a Menu structure.

Now consider this. If you give me a DVD with 40 menu buttons it will be the fastest Eject you have ever seen. I will not wade through that many pages of buttons!

Also note that a DVD holds about 1 hour of movie at high quality. You are only allowing about 1 1/2 minutes of movie. That sounds more like a video equivalent of a ransom note??? Still not too bad, at least your viewer has time to blink.

Giving that some thought, how do you want to proceed?

thanks for the info, james. okay, to clarify...

based on your description, i believe i would want 'titles.' what do you think?

i would want the dvd functionality to be: (1) click a button on the main menu to play a short video and then return to the main menu after the short video has played, (2) click next (or previous) button on dvd player to advance (or back up) through my short videos, (3) would have about 15 short videos per dvd (per hour).

fyi, these 'short videos' of mine are of my daughter (and family events), so i look at these dvds as family photo albums (with movement).

if you think titles make the most sense for my dvd needs, i guess my next question would be: how do i create 'titles?' will roxio detect my separate videos (clips) when i import/capture footage from my mini dv tape?

thanks much!

ilana

Archived